IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenikakias

Anyone growing this Pritchardia sp for some confirmation? I grow one (at least bought as such), now lumped with P macrocarpa, and for second time I observe that it is hardier to frost than both Pritchardia hillebrandii and affinis. But it is considerably slower in growth and prone to potassium deficiency. So I need another grower beyond tropics, who could confirm above observation. I had a very light freezing in the past days and I today I have observed first damage signs on my Pritchardia spss but the lowreyana.

Most sensitive is the affinis:

Photo0555.thumb.jpg.069ee196673c1731a54bPhoto0556.thumb.jpg.2a2254f5fa721d20f292

Second comes the hillebrandii both ny small and the big one showed identical cold tolerance/sensitivity:

Photo0553.thumb.jpg.dbf18ce29e91904ac89dPhoto0554.thumb.jpg.c943eea94041c201db5dPhoto0557.thumb.jpg.eb3cd3b137b0a8ed16f3

Photo0558.jpg

And now the lowreyana. All yellow/spotty/orange can be seen on crown is just potassium deficiency on older leaves. After the heavy treatment last summer with potassium, new leaves are bright green. It is quite remarkable that an old greek encyclopedia from the 50's (yes then we had more knowledgable botanists than nowadays!) mentions under the genus Pritchardia the macrocarpa as the one that can be grown in the most southern parts of the country. Of course there is always the possibility that it is another sp, this is why I need some confirmation from other growers...Photo0559.thumb.jpg.412720301da38c3a6340Photo0562.thumb.jpg.bd6a4507cdeb9b8502f1Photo0560.thumb.jpg.a3b5f46e040897f055eePhoto0561.thumb.jpg.1b2c3c761caec5969243

Cant help you with the lowreyana, which i am not growing.

in my garden i have the hillebrandii and the minor. The second one is facing its first winter. The first one has shown freeze damage  on the last winter. BUT has recovered perfectly.

• Upvote 1

My observations indicate such a small amount of difference in cold tolerance between the Hawaiian Pritchardias, that I'm more likely to consider the micro zone of each palm, more so than the species when I'm comparing any cold damage. They all seem to suffer damage at about the same temps, it's just that some of mine are more protected than others. I do however notice differences in tolerance of sun exposure & water needs, for what it's worth. 

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

lowreyana is tougher than hillebrandii and affinis here. affinis hates the wet and dies without much of a fight. Your ID seems OK at this stage (similar to plants with that name here at least) but you need flowers and fruit and even then it might be a tough call.  I too find lowreyana slow but with amazing powers of recovery. I had one rot out. After two years there was no movement so I took the pot off and threw onto the compost heap with the roots in full sun. A year later, your guessed it, it starts to push a new leaf and is now a healthy plant again!

• Upvote 1

Yep Richard, your input matches my own observation quite! I guess that, however subtle the diffrerencies are between the Hawaian Pritchardias, they become apparent when plants are exposed to extreme yet not overall deadly conditions.

Edited by Phoenikakias

I have a lowreyana seedling that just went into the ground a couple weeks back. Looking forward to seeing it's growth; I like the coarse, wavy blade look of yours. It's similar in appearance to the remotas I've seen. I would have told you a few weeks ago that remotas seem a bit more cold hardy, but the cold snap of the past 3 weeks has dispelled me of that idea.

• Upvote 1

Bret

Pritchardias are frost magnets. They seem to be the first thing in the garden to get damaged by the cold.

Luckily they grow out of it fairly quick.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

16 hours ago, Josh-O said:

Pritchardias are frost magnets. They seem to be the first thing in the garden to get damaged by the cold.

Luckily they grow out of it fairly quick.

Yeah, those big flat blades are like table tops for the cold to settle on. The more horizontal, the more damage.

• Upvote 1

Bret