IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Photo update of my Palm Garden (Fallbrook, CA)

Hilo Jason

Jason your place just keeps getting better and better! Looking good after getting cleaned up. After seeing the transformation of that place it's great to see how perfect so many palms grow for you. 

On 1/1/2016, 1:14:37, Fallbrook Jason said:

Some more shots of what's growing in the front, full sun part of the yard:

IMG_5391.thumb.JPG.2cb7c522829d2f9bffeea

Coccothrinax Miraguama

IMG_5359.thumb.JPG.dce41bebcfd92ef96317b

Dypsis Leptocheillos (with a massive heel on it, which is different than all of my other Teddy Bears).  Dypsis Decipiens behind it on the left.  Beccariophoenix Alfredii on the right.

And now out into the front of the house:

IMG_5353.thumb.JPG.5a4ac4998b255b070fcc9

Pseudophoenix Sargentii loving it's spot in full sun, near the asphalt driveway with a brick wall behind it! 

IMG_5354.thumb.JPG.b8d049705dd3c970b9617

Driveway lined with Pseudophoenix Sargentii and a couple Beccariophoenix.  (yes, I know these will be big one day!)

That's all for now.  Thanks for looking.  Happy New Year to you all. 

Jason- Thanks for sharing your great collection of palms...too bad you have to look at a messy queen on the other side of the fence.-Peter

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Hi Jason, Happy New Year!  You definitely have some special juju going on there, that is a magical garden.  Excellent selection of palms, and they are growing beautifully.  Keep the positive energy going!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Jason!

That's a garden after me own heart!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Every single palm exhibits vigorous health and development! :wub:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Thanks for the great compliments everyone, I appreciate it! 

Here's a couple before and after shots for you.  The backyard jungle, 5 years ago.IMG_0541.thumb.JPG.a98d376eb8bad01d35b0c

Same view today (but a bit further back)

IMG_5322.thumb.JPG.92b34f53e0a25c63e0ff4

And here's the driveway:

IMG_2720.thumb.JPG.53470a39c6d2a96de986d

And now:

IMG_5354.thumb.JPG.b6ab8f948922d40249944

5 years ago:

IMG_0551.thumb.JPG.a6ef1ed50b852a613800d

Today:

IMG_5401.JPG

Five Years ago:

IMG_0554.thumb.JPG.3764badc9072ac5cadd5d

Today:

IMG_5352.thumb.JPG.1b9e1025b8569e5eaacbc

• Upvote 1

Awesome pics Jason, thanks for the before and after - what a difference a few years make. It's getting mighty dark there in the jungle... ! Do you happen to have a closeup shot of your D. maro?

Thats some serious growth. Funny how the one shot both ended up with a dog in them. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

3 minutes ago, LJG said:

Thats some serious growth. Funny how the one shot both ended up with a dog in them. 

I was surprised to look back at these and see the growth.  Of course when you're seeing stuff everyday, it feels like it's barely growing.  

It's nice to see that old photo of Balboa, our brown dog.  She passed away this past year while we were living in Uganda.  Lots of great memories of her throughout this yard. 

9 minutes ago, Pando said:

Awesome pics Jason, thanks for the before and after - what a difference a few years make. It's getting mighty dark there in the jungle... ! Do you happen to have a closeup shot of your D. maro?

I don't, but I'll try to take one in the next day or so.  It's nice, but not compared to yours!

8 minutes ago, Fallbrook Jason said:

I don't, but I'll try to take one in the next day or so.  It's nice, but not compared to yours!

Thanks Jason, let's not worry about comparisons, there are so few photos of these out there that any image is a treat. And who knows what's gonna happen to mine once it pops out of the canopy it's currently under - it'll be 1/2 day full sun and I can't plant anything around that's any faster.

Edited by Pando

Here's a couple ultimate before and after shots I just found! 

Archontophoenix Tuckerii - June, 2009 (right behind the elephant ears, the Cunninghamiana's behind it were transplants and died shortly after this pic)

IMG_5241.thumb.JPG.0fc0ca751d39d6433acf8

December 2015 with it's first flower:

IMG_5320.thumb.JPG.97bc5f43e8b467dc5096b

And the front yard!  This picture is from September 2009, the Bismarck you see in the pot was planted shortly after this picture was taken.

IMG_6344.thumb.JPG.351e2bc42454a816cb510

December 2015, 6 years later, the exact same angle.

IMG_5352.thumb.JPG.271f2a4e61aa7b3acf932

Dypsis Heteromorpha - Jan 2012

IMG_2975.thumb.JPG.6db18300019454037bd02

4 years later:

IMG_5365.thumb.JPG.7a68b7d2fa39bbeb265e3

Attalea Geraniensis - 4 years ago (I forgot this was a double and I cut one off)

IMG_2976.thumb.JPG.ef5ad738be8306323f309

4 years later, kind of hard to get a good picture, next to the Foxy Lady.  Leaves are now probably 18 feet tall

IMG_5333.thumb.jpg.4b90c33be24eb5a6a6d8b

1 hour ago, Fallbrook Jason said:

Thanks for the great compliments everyone, I appreciate it! 

I just picked up a little 1 ga Pseudophoenix Sargenti last week.  I know they are slow, but how long has yours been growing ? And was it protected from full sun in the beginning ? Just trying to get some advice on how to proceed. 

• Upvote 1

Hey Brian,

I have several Pseudophoenix Sargentii, all are in full sun, no protection at all for any of them.  They are tough palms with very thick leaflets that don't burn easily.  My largest that is shown in this thread is now about 10 feet tall and just got it's first ring of trunk.  

Here's a picture of it when I bought it, it's on the far right in a 7 gallon pot.  (the 3 gallon plant next to it is the Foxy Lady that I have pictures of in this thread!)

Feb 2010

palms.jpg.f13928b06110516214f946397ea27e

October 2010, in the ground, planted on the southwest corner of our house, gets full blazing sun!IMG_0564.thumb.JPG.a5ef2094bffe8f8cbe433

And so you don't have to go back through the thread, here's the picture of it now.

IMG_5353.thumb.JPG.a9d128dad90d2ca460aa4

I will say this is the fastest one that I have (out of 7) and I think it's the location and the heat it receives being planted next to the asphalt driveway and with the brick wall behind it. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks a lot.   I just finally pulled the trigger on one, seeing how a lot of people are growing it, and when I found out it does well in sun I got it.  I don't have a lot of canopy yet to plant a lot of these rare dypsis or new Cal palms so it moved up on my grow list seeing that it is very tough.  Mine is just in a 1ga pot I got from Kevin Weaver last week.  I got plenty of full sun spots so I'll find the warmest spot and throw it in the ground.  Thanks for the advice and pics.  Look forward to watching it grow.  Great thread btw, and keep up the great work.   Did you ever plant a Raphia? I'm looking into planting one. 

8 minutes ago, Briank said:

Thanks a lot.   I just finally pulled the trigger on one, seeing how a lot of people are growing it, and when I found out it does well in sun I got it.  I don't have a lot of canopy yet to plant a lot of these rare dypsis or new Cal palms so it moved up on my grow list seeing that it is very tough.  Mine is just in a 1ga pot I got from Kevin Weaver last week.  I got plenty of full sun spots so I'll find the warmest spot and throw it in the ground.  Thanks for the advice and pics.  Look forward to watching it grow.  Great thread btw, and keep up the great work.   Did you ever plant a Raphia? I'm looking into planting one. 

Good job on getting one of those, the sooner the better since they are pretty slow.  Nice to hear you have a lot of sun for it. 

I do have a Raphia.  It's doing ok.  It struggles with scale and some rot on the spear, but it always pushes on and keeps going.  I'm not sure that it's a palm I would recommend.  It needs a lot of water and it hates the cold.  Although mine looks ok, I'm always thinking about possibly pulling it out and replacing it with something else.  

IMG_5325.thumb.jpg.5c86f48d5edf8aa7662e5

I'm tempted to try this palm.  I live 5 miles from the Raphia at the Catamaran, and although that is an Australis, I'm thinking I might be able to pull it off. My climate is even warmer than the Catamaran being 5 miles from the coast and hardly gets below 40's at night.  Just have to find one that has been germinated from seed in CA and not HA or FL.  

woah dude, that garden is outta control!!!!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Before and after comparison shots are always so helpful and encouraging to someone like me with a young garden. What a spectacular job you've done. Thanks for sharing, Jason!

Looking Great Jason! Welcome back and hope to see your attendance again at the tours... :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

20 hours ago, Briank said:

I'm tempted to try this palm.  I live 5 miles from the Raphia at the Catamaran, and although that is an Australis, I'm thinking I might be able to pull it off. My climate is even warmer than the Catamaran being 5 miles from the coast and hardly gets below 40's at night.  Just have to find one that has been germinated from seed in CA and not HA or FL.  

The Catamaran palm is what made me get one.  Such a nice looking palm.  Sounds like you have the climate to pull it off! 

22 hours ago, Pando said:

Thanks Jason, let's not worry about comparisons, there are so few photos of these out there that any image is a treat. And who knows what's gonna happen to mine once it pops out of the canopy it's currently under - it'll be 1/2 day full sun and I can't plant anything around that's any faster.

Here you go Pando.  taken today with my phone, in the rain, so it's not the best pic.  

568caa7125770_DypsisMaro.thumb.jpg.d9af8

8 hours ago, MattyB said:

woah dude, that garden is outta control!!!!

Thanks Matt.  One of these days I hope to make it down to check out your place.  

8 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Before and after comparison shots are always so helpful and encouraging to someone like me with a young garden. What a spectacular job you've done. Thanks for sharing, Jason!

thanks Matt.  Glad they are encouraging to you.  I know I always enjoy before and afters on here so I'm happy to be able to post some now.  Feel free to stop by if you are ever down this way.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, _Rob_ said:

Sweet Mother of all palms!!

Jason, You have completed in a mere few years what i can only dream of.

Simply Spectacular.

Hah, thanks Rob!  

2 minutes ago, Fallbrook Jason said:

The Catamaran palm is what made me get one.  Such a nice looking palm.  Sounds like you have the climate to pull it off! 

We will see. If I can find one.  People keep telling me I need to grow some more rare palms in my collection instead of this sun hardy desert type varieties I've been planting I.E Bismarkia, Nannorops, Livistona, Kings, Foxtails. Lol.  I do have a Gigas n Chambey growing lol guess I need something more rare so why not lol.  Still long way to go just started 9 months ago haha.