IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Photo update of my Palm Garden (Fallbrook, CA)

Hilo Jason

1 hour ago, akamu said:

Great job On the garden Jason nice to see your areca guppyana zone push is still in the game :greenthumb: Cheers

Thanks.  The Areca seems happy and this is it's 2nd or 3rd winter now, so that's a pretty good sign.  It's in a very protected area with lots of canopy over it.  

3 minutes ago, Fallbrook Jason said:

Here you go Pando.  taken today with my phone, in the rain, so it's not the best pic.  

568caa7125770_DypsisMaro.thumb.jpg.d9af8

Thanks Jason so much for taking the time to take a pic per request - it's looking really good and healthy!!! Looks like it's cranking new growth, and I see lots of black ramenta on the trunk. Beautiful!

1 hour ago, akamu said:

Time for a PSSC meeting soon perhaps , I too would like to make a visit maybe a joint PRA with josh.

Maybe one day about the PSSC meeting.  My problem is lack of parking as I live on a very small private road in Fallbrook with nowhere to park on it.  So would be hard to host a large group.  Feel free to stop by for a PRA sometime though.  I'd be happy to show you around.

55 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Looking Great Jason! Welcome back and hope to see your attendance again at the tours... :)

Thanks Bill, it's great to be back!  In so many ways!  I look forward to being able to attend some upcoming tours.  

13 minutes ago, Briank said:

We will see. If I can find one.  People keep telling me I need to grow some more rare palms in my collection instead of this sun hardy desert type varieties I've been planting I.E Bismarkia, Nannorops, Livistona, Kings, Foxtails. Lol.  I do have a Gigas n Chambey growing lol guess I need something more rare so why not lol.  Still long way to go just started 9 months ago haha.  

Yeah, it's not a palm you see around here very often for sale.  

As far as what you grow, grow what you like and what does good for you.  That's my opinion.  Dypsis Lutescens is a very common palm, but I really enjoy them and have a few in my garden.  Same with Bismarckia, Kings, Foxtails, etc...  If a palm looks good and grows well, that's what matters!  Your location does sound pretty great though, so you can pull off some stuff that others can't.  New Cal stuff like Kentiopsis, Burretiokentia, and Chambeyronia's are all winners and are great additions for any garden.  And there's so much great stuff in the Dypsis genus too.  Too many palms, not enough space!

I still have a long way to go to!  I'm always adding something new or replacing something. But that's what I love about this.  The garden is always evolving and changing.  Keeps it exciting!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Pando said:

Thanks Jason so much for taking the time to take a pic per request - it's looking really good and healthy!!! Looks like it's cranking new growth, and I see lots of black ramenta on the trunk. Beautiful!

No problem at all, my pleasure.  After seeing your pics I plan on giving this palm more attention = water & fertilizer, to see if I can push it along some more.  

5 minutes ago, Fallbrook Jason said:

No problem at all, my pleasure.  After seeing your pics I plan on giving this palm more attention = water & fertilizer, to see if I can push it along some more.  

If you drink coffee, sprinkle the grounds around the base regularly. It will keep the soil more acidic, which seems to bring out more colors. I also added a small amount of osmocote last fall, which probably helped a bit. My soil has a lot of clay, with heavy root competition from the nearby roebelenii and the large king palm just a few feet away. If you can allow some more filtered sun from your canopy, this will probably help also.

On 4/1/2016, 12:54:13, Fallbrook Jason said:

Hi Troy,

That was planted in May of 2011 as a 5 gallon palm.  Here's a picture.  Different angle, but same planter.  It's the palm on the far right.  All the other palms in this picture ended up being dug up and moved.  Only the Oceana remains.  

IMG_2704.thumb.JPG.4ab2e53c1f443244ac1cb

Great growth Jason - Mine do well down here at 43 deg south

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

On 1/1/2016, 12:47:45, Fallbrook Jason said:

Back to the main pathway now

IMG_5337.thumb.JPG.d52ecae900f91ef99182c

Another angle of that Teddy x Triangle

IMG_5412.thumb.JPG.0836f71603795dff0177e

And one more angle.  One of my favorite palms

IMG_5339.thumb.JPG.d53b14127f41202b4a767

Dypsis Ambositrae on the left, loving it's full shade spot.  Over 10 feet tall and still not trunking yet.

IMG_5378.thumb.JPG.1970b097ff816203fa511

One of many Kentiopsis Oliviformis planted in the yard

IMG_5411.thumb.JPG.b5d295a23ed3ae01c76e6

Dypsis Onilahensis

Going out into the front / side yard now:

IMG_5341.thumb.JPG.9803aab433850145c164b

Hi Jason, what species is this palm, thanks, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Great garden Jason! I have the beginnings of something I can only hope will be as nice as yours. All my palms are about 6-7' tall now and planted closely together. The past year it's gotten to be a hassle to have all the fronds blocking the pathways, but after seeing your garden, I just need to be patient and wait until the canopy gains some height!

On 1/6/2016, 8:06:25, edric said:

Hi Jason, what species is this palm, thanks, Ed

Hi Ed, if you're referring to the last photo, it's a Dypsis Plumosa on the far right.  Beccariophoenix (no windows) is behind that, also on the right. 

On 1/6/2016, 10:14:44, IHB1979 said:

Great garden Jason! I have the beginnings of something I can only hope will be as nice as yours. All my palms are about 6-7' tall now and planted closely together. The past year it's gotten to be a hassle to have all the fronds blocking the pathways, but after seeing your garden, I just need to be patient and wait until the canopy gains some height!

Yeah, I'm always pushing fronds out of the way or ducking under them.  My wife's not crazy about that, but she's very gracious with me and my hobby!

On January 7, 2016 at 3:47:55 PM, Shon said:

garden looks amazing Jason. Did the Kentiopsis you dug out of my yard still survive?

Hey Shon, yep and it's doing great. I've actually even dug it up and moved it in my yard and it did great through that. There's a thread somewhere on here about that move. Here's an updated pic from my phone.  6 ft fence behind it to give you an idea of the size of it now  

image.thumb.jpg.84ff35cc69ae10b2f8fa0526

On January 5, 2016 at 10:23:45 PM, Pando said:

If you drink coffee, sprinkle the grounds around the base regularly. It will keep the soil more acidic, which seems to bring out more colors. I also added a small amount of osmocote last fall, which probably helped a bit. My soil has a lot of clay, with heavy root competition from the nearby roebelenii and the large king palm just a few feet away. If you can allow some more filtered sun from your canopy, this will probably help also.

Thanks for the tips. I'm now putting coffee grounds around this palm. The jacaranda above it will hopefully be thinned out soon so that would give it some more light. 

2 hours ago, Fallbrook Jason said:

Thanks for the tips. I'm now putting coffee grounds around this palm. The jacaranda above it will hopefully be thinned out soon so that would give it some more light. 

That's great. Do you still have the other one next to the house also? Reading back some older posts it was next to the rosea that you lost some time ago?

Turns out the background history on my plant is a rosea (pink cs) but I still think it's something different. We'll never know until it flowers though.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2016‎ ‎10‎:‎07‎:‎48‎, Fallbrook Jason said:

Yeah, it's not a palm you see around here very often for sale.  

As far as what you grow, grow what you like and what does good for you.  That's my opinion.  Dypsis Lutescens is a very common palm, but I really enjoy them and have a few in my garden.  Same with Bismarckia, Kings, Foxtails, etc...  If a palm looks good and grows well, that's what matters!  Your location does sound pretty great though, so you can pull off some stuff that others can't.  New Cal stuff like Kentiopsis, Burretiokentia, and Chambeyronia's are all winners and are great additions for any garden.  And there's so much great stuff in the Dypsis genus too.  Too many palms, not enough space!

I still have a long way to go to!  I'm always adding something new or replacing something. But that's what I love about this.  The garden is always evolving and changing.  Keeps it exciting!

Great post, great garden!

I love your philosophy about planting what you like and what grows well and not being afraid to try new things and make changes.

I also admire the fact that you do not shy away from planting multiple specimens of the same species. This is something that I have struggled with recently. I find myself only planting one of each species and constantly making an effort to not plant more than one individual of each species. So I really appreciate such a garden that glorifies diversity plus what you personally like!

What an amazing garden!  Threads like this are inspiring, and the reason that I lurk around here B)

I'm super impressed with the before and after shots, the growth of your garden in a relatively short time is incredible!  Are there any special fertilizers or additives that you use throughout your garden on a regular basis?

Thanks for the picture Jason nice to see its happy. In a side note anyone hear from freakypalmyguy? I gave him a bunch of stuff also but I don't see him on here anymore. 

San Marcos CA

1 hour ago, Shon said:

Thanks for the picture Jason nice to see its happy. In a side note anyone hear from freakypalmyguy? I gave him a bunch of stuff also but I don't see him on here anymore. 

Not on PT Shon. He is on FB a lot. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

On 1/1/2016, 7:17:55, Jeff Searle said:

Hey Jason,

I think I speak for everyone, we would never get bored looking at your garden. You have many good elements working in your favor. You have a great selection of palms, a lot of your palms are now getting mature or close to it, and you have a nice setting with shade and walkways. Thanks for sharing!

I agree, but I think what surprised me was seeing the many palms I thought to be marginal in So Cal, looking very healthy. A few, I was surprised to even see growing in California--good job and great selection.

On 1/13/2016, 2:21:43, Pando said:

That's great. Do you still have the other one next to the house also? Reading back some older posts it was next to the rosea that you lost some time ago?

Turns out the background history on my plant is a rosea (pink cs) but I still think it's something different. We'll never know until it flowers though.

That's actually the same one, I was re-working a planter and moved it across the pathway from where it was.  I'm sure it would be bigger if I didn't dig it up.  At one point I didn't think it was going to make it, but it came back.  I bought this from Kevin Weaver years ago, he only had a few, wish I would have bought all of them that he had.  

On 1/13/2016, 2:57:45, Sr. Califas said:

Great post, great garden!

I love your philosophy about planting what you like and what grows well and not being afraid to try new things and make changes.

I also admire the fact that you do not shy away from planting multiple specimens of the same species. This is something that I have struggled with recently. I find myself only planting one of each species and constantly making an effort to not plant more than one individual of each species. So I really appreciate such a garden that glorifies diversity plus what you personally like!

Thanks for the compliments.  When I first got into palms, I started buying one of everything that I liked or thought I might be able to grow.  But after starting my garden I learned what did well, what didn't and I started working on an overall look and feel that I would want for the yard.  So in many ways this meant using multiples of the same species.  Also, going to Palm Society meetings here in Southern California was a huge influence as you get to see established palms in people's yards and what has worked for them.  I remember leaving a PSSC meeting in Orange County that had a very nice Kentiopsis Oliviformis, going straight home and pulling out and chopping down King palms and replacing them with Kentiopsis Oliviformis, which is why I now have so many of them here.  

• Upvote 1

On 1/14/2016, 9:07:41, ChrisJordanDDS said:

What an amazing garden!  Threads like this are inspiring, and the reason that I lurk around here B)

I'm super impressed with the before and after shots, the growth of your garden in a relatively short time is incredible!  Are there any special fertilizers or additives that you use throughout your garden on a regular basis?

Thanks a lot.  

Once a year I spread Vigoro granular fertilizer around all the palms, and then 3-4 times a year I use Grow More Palm 18-6-18 fertilizer.  I also mulch heavily and have fast draining soil, so I think all of those things help quite a bit.  

On 1/4/2016, 10:53:45, Fallbrook Jason said:

And here's the driveway:

IMG_2720.thumb.JPG.53470a39c6d2a96de986d

And now:

IMG_5354.thumb.JPG.b6ab8f948922d40249944

Its a bit redundant for me to say, but fantastic garden!  I really enjoy the 5 year growth comparisons, like this of the pseudophoenix sargentii.  You have done well with some things I managed to kill in my Carlsbad garden, but make me want to try again in my Leucadia home, where I still have a few small spaces left to plant.  The biggest concern now is I don't want to create too heavy a canopy for my sun loving cycads, so repressing my desire to just plant more palms.  You have provided some great inspirations with the before and after shots and reminders for me on spacing things in anticipation of future growth.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 1/19/2016, 3:57:45, Mandrew968 said:

I agree, but I think what surprised me was seeing the many palms I thought to be marginal in So Cal, looking very healthy. A few, I was surprised to even see growing in California--good job and great selection.

thanks Andrew!  I think I lucked out and got some good genetics on a lot of these plants.  Of course I've killed quite a few over the years that lacked the genetics, or I just didn't treat right. 

8 hours ago, Fallbrook Jason said:

thanks Andrew!  I think I lucked out and got some good genetics on a lot of these plants.  Of course I've killed quite a few over the years that lacked the genetics, or I just didn't treat right. 

But, to an extent, that's a good thing: Reason being is the 'garden look' can really suffer from a struggling palm; the eye is pulled to it and no matter the palm rarity, it's better to grow something to potential. I think you know the virtues in this with what I highlighted above and how your garden presents.