Sign in to follow this  
Pip

A few pics from Mt Lofty Botanic Garden summer 2015/16

Pip

Last Tuesday Adelaidians were treated to a botanical wonder in the form of Amorphophallus titanum. The spectical and potential nasal assult caused a short lived period of pandemonium particularly in the streets leading to the car park. After seeing the rare Indonesian flower I decided to explore the garden. I wouldn't normally visit Mt Lofty Botanic Garden during the summer as the risk of bush fire is not worth the hassle. The park is closed more days than open during the summer due to this. The collection at this Botanic Garden is made up of spieces from cool high land climates. The garden is on the north eastern slop of Mt Lofty  and has narrow gullies joining to the main valley with a man made lake. Each gully is dedicated to a different geographic location. The garden is best known for its Autumn leaves, camellia's, azaleas and rhododendrons.

20151229_134512.thumb.jpg.564fffbeed5a6d

20151229_134908.thumb.jpg.5cadc305adc5ac

Pip

Jubaea chilensis

20151229_142009.thumb.jpg.56e899653f802c

Pip

On the ridges native vegetation dominates20151229_142442.thumb.jpg.f9165e9675171020151229_142459.thumb.jpg.1881c81c2023b9

Pip

Linospadix monostachya

20151229_143149.thumb.jpg.84ea7442bc6452

• Upvote 1

Josh-O

great picture tutorial Pip! 

Keep them coming :drool:

Pip

20151229_143846.thumb.jpg.4c86c1865a05a620151229_143909.thumb.jpg.817897af38fe6d

Smells like honey

Silas_Sancona

Agree w/ Josh.. Awesome pictures Pip. Thanks for the tour :greenthumb::greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Pip

20151229_143926.thumb.jpg.d44c95b96efa72

That's the last photo. I prefer to visit the garden in winter when all the creeks are flowing and the camellia's are in full bloom although it was nice to walk through the sprinklers on this hot day.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Palmarum
      By Palmarum
      Tropical Fern & Exotic Plant Society
      Annual Rare & Exotic Plant Auction
      Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden - Garden House Auditorium

Society website: http://tfeps.org/index.htm
      Monday Evening, October 28th, 2019
      Meeting Begins at 7:30pm, Auction Preview 7:00pm

With Fall, comes the event season of the S. Florida plant world. The highly anticipated auction of the Tropical Fern & Exotic Plant Society is scheduled for the evening of Monday, Oct. 28th. The auction has become one of the best, entertaining and fun events for bidding on rare and unusual plants. Ferns are a key focus of the evening, but literally any plant may show up for auction. I have often seen plants for auction representing species and plant families that I have never seen before. In addition to the plethora of wonderful plants that find their way to the auction tables, Palm species always seem to find their way into the auction by way of many sources. Follow the link above for more information on the auction and the society. It is always a fun night for the plant fanatics in S. Florida.
      I have attended many of the auction meetings and the array of plant material never ceases to amaze myself and other attendees. Of what material may be for auction, I do not know. It really can be anything. Rare plants that first appeared decades ago and thus disappeared, may re-appear at this very event. I have heard that certain rare Crotons may be among the selection. If I do receive info that should be posted (certain plants and the like) then I will post it here. I haven't always been able to post photos from the event, but follow the links below to previous topics where I have. I did post a lot from last years' auction. There should be many familiar faces from the Forum and some incredible plants...
      TFEPS Annual Auction - 2018
      Link: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/58241-tropical-fern-exotic-plant-society-annual-auction-2018/
      TFEPS Annual Auction - 2015
      Link: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/47491-tropical-fern-exotic-plant-society-annual-auction-2015/&do=findComment&comment=728565
      TFEPS Annual Auction - 2013
      Link: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/39283-tropical-fern-exotic-plant-society-annual-fall-auction/&do=findComment&comment=608735
      Ryan
    • Palmarum
      By Palmarum
      Annual Rare Plant Auction

Society Website: http://tfeps.org/index.htm
      Monday Evening, October 22nd, 2018 (next Monday)
      Auction Preview: 7:00
      It is that time of the year again, the highly anticipated auction of the Tropical Fern & Exotic Plant Society is scheduled for next Monday evening, the 22nd. The auction has become one of the best events for bidding on rare and unusual plants. Ferns are a key focus of the evening, but literally any plant may show up for auction. I have often seen plants for auction representing species and plant families that I have never seen before. Palm species always seem to find their way into the auction by way of many sources. Follow the link above for more information on the auction and the society. It is always a fun night for the plant fanatics in S. Florida.

I have attended many of the auction meetings and the array of plant material never ceases to amaze myself and other attendees. Of what material may be for auction, I do not know. I have heard that certain rare Crotons may be among the selection. If I do receive info that should be posted (certain plants and the like) then I will post it here. I haven't always been able to post photos from the event, but follow the links below to previous topics where I have. There should be many familiar faces from the Forum and some incredible plants...
      TFEPS Annual Auction - 2015
      Link: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/47491-tropical-fern-exotic-plant-society-annual-auction-2015/&do=findComment&comment=728565
      TFEPS Annual Auction - 2013
      Link: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/39283-tropical-fern-exotic-plant-society-annual-fall-auction/&do=findComment&comment=608735

Ryan
    • Pip
      By Pip
      Well we finally moved house so now I can finally set my mind to designing my next garden. The property  we have bought really does require a huge amount of maintenance it is a little overwhelming. Somehow over time we will transform the property  into something special.
      Here is the driveway  

The front paddocks full of weedy desert ash and black berries

The dam is looking very disappointing due to this winter being very dry, fingers crossed for more rain as spring approaches 

The soil here is deep sand the total opposite to the clay based soil of my last garden. This is where the new rainwater tank is going to be intalled.
      The property abuts an area of regenerated native vegetation this is were a large mob of Kangaroos come out of scrub every evening.

This hill blocks the view of the ocean.

I'll most likely concentrate my new plam plantings closer to the house

I'm  sure this project will take me the rest of my life.
    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      In Dec, I took a cruise to the West Indies. It started in Puerto Rico, where I took a tour of El Yunque National Park, advertised as the only rain forest national park in US territory. It is also considered a cloud forest, so I was thrilled to visit it. The park contains over 40 species of ferns but I have no idea what their Latin names are. The most spectacular were tree ferns that grew up to 15-20' tall. I'd love to try one but am not sure how well a cloud forest mountain fern will survive my lowland FL climate. If you know anything about these ferns, let us know.
      Ferns of El Yunque National Park, Puerto Rico
      Tree Ferns

• Palmarum
      By Palmarum
      Annual Auction
      http://tfeps.org/annual-auction.htm
      Monday evening, October 24th, 2016 (next Monday night)
      Auction Preview: 7:00 PM
      It is that time of the year again, the highly anticipated auction of the Tropical Fern & Exotic Plant Society is scheduled for next Monday evening, the 24th. The auction has become one of the best events for bidding on rare and unusual plants. Ferns are a key focus of the evening, but literally any plant may show up for auction. I have often seen plants for auction representing species and even plant families that I have never seen before. Palm species always seem to find their way into the auction by way of many sources. Follow the link above for more information. It is always a fun night for the plant fanatics in S. Florida.
      Here is a link to the auction topic from last year,
      I can't wait to see what plants show up this year.
      Ryan