Sign in to follow this  
Moose

New Palmy Resolutions

Moose

Here we are on the cusp of a new year. Some folks make New Year resolutions. Any of you have any resolutions regarding your palms and or gardens?

Mine is that I will grow a Dypsis "Black Stem".

Mandrew968

I am looking forward to completing the 3 garden showcase.

Jeff Searle

I still need to do an inventory on palm species and croton varieties here at the house. It's a question I'm often asked. It's really not important as it's just a number, it's the challenge of planting new species out and that they will survive and flourish. I often think that I have nothing new to plant, but then I find something, tucked away in the shadehouse waiting for a new home. If only our palms could talk! Sometimes I think they do......

Moose
10 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

I still need to do an inventory on palm species and croton varieties here at the house. It's a question I'm often asked. It's really not important as it's just a number, it's the challenge of planting new species out and that they will survive and flourish. I often think that I have nothing new to plant, but then I find something, tucked away in the shadehouse waiting for a new home. If only our palms could talk! Sometimes I think they do......

Hmmmmm, sounds like a great excuse to wander in your fabulous garden. Tons of writing, then entering it into a data base to keep track. You may want to divide your garden by regions and do it region by region. Taking on your garden as a whole would be an overwhelming task.

Mr. Coconut Palm

I plan on planting 3 or 4 more Coconut Palms in addition to my Jamaican Tall, Maypan, and Yellow Malayan Dwarf that I planted a couple of weeks ago.  I also plan on planting a Mexican Tall, a Panama Tall, and a Maymex hybrid, and possibly a Green variety of the Hawaiian Tall, if I can get one, along with my Lady Palm, a Ptchychosperma elegans, two Christmas Palms, and a Caryota mitis.  Hopefully, I can get my palapa that I want built, so I can finish planting in the area around it afterwards.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Sapiindo
      By Sapiindo
      There so many in my garden

• Efrain Casellas
      By Efrain Casellas
      I just got a Sylveter palm installed a week ago and i notice upon delivery it had a couple of brown leaves, i didn't think much of it because of the exitement , but now it have more brown leaves to the point of concern, is this normal? is it something that i can do to fix this issue? 
      The installer told my wife and i to water it twice a day 15 min in the morning 15 on the afternoon but how do i now if thats enough or may be is to much? 
      Here are some pictures i know is dark sorry and the last 2 pictures are from when we got it at the nursery , can someone please help me with this? Thanks

• jaredthesir
      By jaredthesir
      Personally, for me it is the always impressive Canary Island Date Palm, with runners up including Nikau Palm and Trachies (due to their ability to grow in so many normally non palmy places). Of course it is hard to not mention the coconut palm in this list as well.

Being from Michigan, I want to learn about more types of palms that I have probably never seen, and I want to see some of your favorites!
      As an aside I also wanted to thank this community for teaching me so much about palms, as I have a new appreciation and obsession for them, and I CANNOT WAIT to go to Fort Myers next week to see how many palms I can recognize after seeing them here. Cheers!!

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I woke up to news Cape Coral has been issued a freeze warning for overnight Sunday - thanks, Alexa. Gets better and better all the time. I got nearly a 1/2 acre densely planted with palms that haven't experienced lows below 40F in 5-6 years or more and nothing below 37F since 2010. If my bad luck holds it may be the end of the world for many of them. But if my luck changes for the better and the forecast lays an egg you won't find me complaining.
      But to focus my anxiety I went out and took "Before" photos for future reference. Up until a week ago, winter had been deceptively benign. I know, you really can't fool Mother Nature.
      I'll start with our Back Yard Jungle, aka "World's Smallest Jungle." It is situated facing south on a little ridge overlooking the equally distinguished "Isabelle Canal", our 80' wide freshwater canal (fact: Cape Coral  is home to 400 miles of salt- and freshwater canals, basins, weirs, boat locks and lakes that earn it the monikers "Venice of the South" and "Water Wonderland"). The back of our house shields the jungle from north winds. The winter sun moderates incoming cold fronts - usually.
      "World's Smallest Jungle", Cape Coral, FL, Jan. 2022

Dypsis malcomberi

Areca catechu semi-dwarf

Dictyosperma album

Adonidia merrillii Golden Form

Pritchardia pacifica

Monster Archonotophoenix cunninghamiana

• Moose
      By Moose
      Robert Halgrim is a rare croton, most likely because of it's slow growth