IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Bottle Palm

ruskinPalms

I had to go to home depot this morning to buy some supplies to do some much needed lawn maintenance (yuck) and I came away with a new bottle palm. Why didn't someone tell me that palms were so addictive  :o

Anyway, it cost $16.99. Was this a good deal? Guess it doesn't matter since it was love at first sight anyway! Now all I have to do is hope that my wife does not notice the new planting...

Little Bottle Palm with the group.

IMG_0981Large.jpg

Close up:

IMG_0982Large.jpg

Kris, sorry about the white balance!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Great new addition Bill!  $16.99 is a fair price.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

And...dont worry Bill.  Your wife will give up eventually.  Give it about a year and shell just expect you to buy new plants every week :D

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Dear Ruskin,

I love your photos man,they are not bad at all.

And even i love Bottle palms i have imported few seeds now but no activity for the last 6 months,all possible methods are being tried to get it germinated.i hope in days to come they will.

and i feel you guys there are more lucky to have things ready-made,while in india we can only import seeds and not plants.(Govt Restrictions).

And inform your wife that you are not alone in blowing off funds in collecting exocitic palms from around the world. And i fully agree with Spockvr that as the bottle breaks ground and becomes a bucksome beuty.certainly your wife will be impressed by god's creation.and who knows she may buy another bottle palm and plant it beside your palm to give the landsacpe a companion look.i.e your palm is not left alone as a solitary creature.

But also try not to hurt her feelings,always woo her to your idea and then do the purschase.make her realise that you love her more than your bottle palm.because palms dont talk,but human's do.

I hope you realise what i mean !

One man one tree...

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Larry and Kris, I diclosed the palm and it turns out that bottle palms are my wife's favorite! SO, I guess that meas I ought to go out and get a few more! Kris, I love my wife with all my heart and palms are only a hobby. I do understand what you are saying. Thanks for replies!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

That baby bottle's a bitchen beaut!

Price is right, or at least reasonable.

See how fast it grows. . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(ruskinPalms @ Jul. 22 2006,19:46)

I had to go to home depot this morning to buy some supplies to do some much needed lawn maintenance (yuck) and I came away with a new bottle palm. Why didn't someone tell me that palms were so addictive  :o

Anyway, it cost $16.99. Was this a good deal? Guess it doesn't matter since it was love at first sight anyway! Now all I have to do is hope that my wife does not notice the new planting...

Little Bottle Palm with the group.

IMG_0981Large.jpg

Close up:

IMG_0982Large.jpg

Kris, sorry about the white balance!

great palm ....wow.. but don't you think its alittle close to the house?

Yeh, I guess all of my palms are too close to the house. But that is the only way I feel that I will be able to get them to live more than a couple of years. There are bad freezes in this area about every 5 years or so and I really can't see myself doing too elaborate of cold protection other than throwing a sheet over stuff (maybe I would buy frost cloth). There have been several threads on this board and the old boards that suggest tender palms may benefit from being close to the house on cold nights. That being said, I think I infected my neighbor with the palm bug as he has planted Adonidia and Pygmy Date all over his yard and on that little easment strip between the street and sidewalk. He even put a coconut seedling in his back yard. All of his plantings are in the open and may be susceptible to radiational freezes. I warned him that he willl have to cover these tender palms in the least during freezes. I'll remind him again this winter. Anyway, in all liklihood, the bottle palm will perish in the coming winters before it becomes an issue about trunk size. I don't think being close to the house will protect it the next time canada decides to send us 24 degree F advective freeze. That will be a sad day in my yard...

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

By the way, what is the diameter of a bottle palm if grown in ideal conditions. There is about 18 to 20 inches beteen the palm and the wall.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Bill

I have two that are 12' OA in my field off of 19th Street (the road that McDonalds is on off 41).  You should stop and take a look at them.  They are mature for sure...real beauties!

To allow them to grow straight I would leave at least 5' from the center point.  My largest in my yard is 10' OA and is 10' wide.

Here it is...

Hyophorbelagenicaulis1.jpg

Rob

Dave,have you tried bottles in LAHA? or plan on trying them?..the local Lowes has them for $35 and $99 with not much difference in size of plant just the pot is much bigger on the $99.

(Stan @ Jul. 24 2006,18:28)

Dave,have you tried bottles in LAHA? or plan on trying them?..the local Lowes has them for $35 and $99 with not much difference in size of plant just the pot is much bigger on the $99.

I've tried them with a vengance.

I've got two big ones that made it through our winter.  I lost 30 babies, alas, sill pull out the crying towell . . .

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's one, the big palm in the big pot with the orchid draped over it:

normal_DSCF0001~3.JPG

And, here's the other, first pot on the right of the ravenala that's the center of attention.

normal_DSCF0020.JPG