IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palmy places in Brevard county

Zeeth

I'm in Brevard county for the weekend, and I made some stops at palmy places. Here's some of what I saw.

IMG_4696.thumb.JPG.70d1ae61f733f1f69518f

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

This enormous oil palm was here

IMG_4688.thumb.JPG.e5e41c846c0d102a39d0a

They were naturalizing throughout this swamp.

IMG_4693.thumb.JPG.6a48b376cc50bdfba65c2

IMG_4694.thumb.JPG.eefd1af9d75b026f0545a

• Upvote 1

Keith 

IMG_4680_zps5n72abya.jpg

IMG_4683_zpsthm0dmle.jpg

Here's the stump of the other big oil palm that didn't survive 2010

IMG_4695_zpsosxeanr1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Astrocaryum

IMG_4707.thumb.JPG.7aa512b62e6776983a3f5

Coccothrinax 

IMG_4705.thumb.JPG.83814e6ad70381ed0d0ce

Dypsis lutescensIMG_4682_zpsna6qkomz.jpg

Thrinax

IMG_4709_zpsr8bwrqge.jpg

Leucothrinax and Copernicia

IMG_4706_zpstci2ohon.jpg

Attalea

IMG_4708_zpsdjzk5ii4.jpg

• Upvote 2

Keith 

Sabal causiarum

IMG_4721_zpsdgjbmmnh.jpg

Wimpy Borassus aethiopum

IMG_4719_zpscatgenq4.jpg

Monster Borassus flabellifer

IMG_4732_zpsqvdbchyp.jpg

It's flowering! (it's male)

IMG_4730_zps1jmadmf0.jpg

• Upvote 2

Keith 

I felt dwarfed standing next to this thing. I'm 6'4 for reference.

IMG_4724_zpskfjzdhue.jpg

• Upvote 2

Keith 

Royal palms weren't very common beachside. The salt spray is too much for them. This group was the healthiest that I saw.

IMG_4743_zpsxyfhvrcl.jpg

Driving over Mather's bridge onto the southern tip of Merritt island. Royals were more common here.

IMG_4757_zpsvuetq6ie.jpg

Another royal on the southern tip of Merritt island

IMG_4759_zpsbw6wzqbt.jpg

Found this nice yellow Malayan coconut

IMG_4762_zpsuy1bq13p.jpg

This yard on the south tip of Merritt island likes coconuts

IMG_4765_zpsn5lpufkf.jpg

• Upvote 3

Keith 

Found a few P. sargentii here too.

IMG_4768_zpsubfhwpic.jpg

IMG_4776_zpsjuvnv8c0.jpg

This house was pretty palmy

IMG_4774_zpszu0kiytt.jpg

Looks like a nice place to relax

IMG_4764_zps0f18nitb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Keith 

The size of the plumeria trees was a good indicator of the excellent microclimate here

IMG_4763_zpsz1oxogic.jpg

This one was even bigger

IMG_4767_zpsum0zflq7.jpg

These mango trees have been here for a long time

IMG_4773_zpsbqfcjdke.jpg

IMG_4770_zpsdnjcl9sb.jpg

IMG_4769_zpsntou5uyi.jpg

• Upvote 2

Keith 

Here's the climate chart for the nearby Patrick Airforce Base. It's definitely a warm spot

56805b594f461_SatelliteBeachClimatewithe

• Upvote 1

Keith 

More coconuts

IMG_4781_zpsmpx0lnuh.jpg

IMG_4782_zpsesvfrdu5.jpg

IMG_4793_zpsgctyty1l.jpg

I had a hard time photographing this. These coconuts appear to be growing wild in this spot.

IMG_4798.thumb.JPG.e75fa449b3ca0aa865a3e

• Upvote 2

Keith 

A nice Maypan

IMG_4807_zpshocdqhav.jpg

Stumbled across the HGTV dream home for 2016

IMG_4784_zpsfsekleyl.jpg

IMG_4788_zpscwbixegz.jpg

Stopped by the beach. Waves like this never happen in the Gulf. I'm a fan of the bathtub like water you see in Anna Maria Island, but this place is a haven for surfers.

IMG_4804_zpsgu3vktdx.jpg

That all! Thanks for stopping by. There's a large Borassus flabellifer somewhere around in Brevard off of 192, but I didn't end up finding it. 

• Upvote 2

Keith 

Thanks for posting Zeeth.  Amazing how tropical potential one gains as they head south in Florida.  I'd like to check out Dent Smiths old place in Daytona area but it's probably privately owned at this point.

Impressive Sabal Causariums you photographed.  More of a blue cast than usual.  Is that one on the right also Causarium?  I probably don't have the sharpest eye when it comes to fan palms but it even resembles Bismarkia to me.  Where is that group located?  That Borassis is indeed a monster!

Steve

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, swolf said:

Thanks for posting Zeeth.  Amazing how tropical potential one gains as they head south in Florida.  I'd like to check out Dent Smiths old place in Daytona area but it's probably privately owned at this point.

Impressive Sabal Causariums you photographed.  More of a blue cast than usual.  Is that one on the right also Causarium?  I probably don't have the sharpest eye when it comes to fan palms but it even resembles Bismarkia to me.  Where is that group located?  That Borassis is indeed a monster!

Steve

The Sabal causiarum group was definitely impressive! The one on the right is a causiarum as well. I collected seed from that one, and I took notice of the papery ligules on it when I did. The group is on the other side of the building that the Borassus is out front of. They're pretty easy to spot! :) 

Keith 

8 hours ago, swolf said:

Steve

Dent Smith's place was sold to new owners recently , and I noticed that a lot of renovations were happening ,( at least as I could

see while passing by on the street ).      I was told that a prominent local Attorney has bought it .

Zeeth, I enjoyed the tour. Nice to see the Pseudo's growing and that Borassus was a beast! Good to see lots of palms around. Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

On 12/27/2015, 1:41:27, Zeeth said:

The size of the plumeria trees was a good indicator of the excellent microclimate here

IMG_4763_zpsz1oxogic.jpg

This one was even bigger

IMG_4767_zpsum0zflq7.jpg

These mango trees have been here for a long time

IMG_4773_zpsbqfcjdke.jpg

IMG_4770_zpsdnjcl9sb.jpg

IMG_4769_zpsntou5uyi.jpg

There are actually some much larger plumeria further north where I live.  There are a number of them that are over the roof of the houses.

• Upvote 1

Brevard County, Fl

12 hours ago, Zeeth said:

The Sabal causiarum group was definitely impressive! The one on the right is a causiarum as well. I collected seed from that one, and I took notice of the papery ligules on it when I did. The group is on the other side of the building that the Borassus is out front of. They're pretty easy to spot! :) 

"I collected seed from that one,"

If you get good germination and don't mind parting with a plant or two please PM me as I'd like to purchase.  I'm sometimes in your area.

Steve

26 minutes ago, swolf said:

"I collected seed from that one,"

If you get good germination and don't mind parting with a plant or two please PM me as I'd like to purchase.  I'm sometimes in your area.

Steve

Sure! I'll let you know when they start germinating. 

Keith 

Great shots! There is a great Principes article highlighting Dent Smith and that great palm garden.

What you look for is what is looking

Great pictures. Central to Southern Brevard, particularly on the barrier islands, has a great microclimate. 10b for the vast majority of winters.

1 hour ago, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

Great pictures. Central to Southern Brevard, particularly on the barrier islands, has a great microclimate. 10b for the vast majority of winters.

Yeah, Patrick AFB had an average winter minimum of 35.1˚ F when I compiled all the data from the last 70 years (including the winters of the '80s). The data from the Palm Beach International Airport 100 miles further south had an average of 35.8˚ F for the same time period.

• Upvote 2

Keith 

There are 3 African Oil Palms growing at Leu Gardens that I grew from the old tree at FIT.

The big Bismarckia there is looking good, it was a little sparse for awhile. And though it doesn't look like it, that one was planted in the 1960s and survived the freezes of the 80s.

A lot of those old mango trees on Merrritt Island are remnants of old commercial groves planted decades ago when the island was more rural. If you drive through there in summer some of the residents sell mangos.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Great shots, I was down there in Brevard over Christmas and New Year's, I'm always impressed with the quantity and quality of tropicals down there, especially on the island.  Hard to believe that the record cold in Cocoa Beach is 17F!  That must be rare indeed

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

The 17˚ figure comes from the NWS station in Melbourne though, which doesn't have the advantage of a barrier island location. The Patrick AFB station on the barrier island recorded 30˚ during that event (Jan 19, 1977). The coldest temp recorded at the Patrick AFB station was 24˚ in 1989, with the data going back to 1945. 

Keith 

Comparisons of low minimum temperatures  between a barrier island  location and a mainland location are apples and oranges. Based upon information from legitimate weather stations located on the barrier island of PB, the minimum temperatures in cold events are 6.3 degrees F. warmer than those recorded at the cold- hole that is PBIA.  Accordingly, for a legitimate comparison, please add 6.3 F. to the PBIA results.

For the  purposes of legitimate climate comparison and analysis as it relates to tropical vegetation, it is necessary to compute the average mean temperature of the coldest month (Jan.) and if it is above 64.8 F., you are legitimately talking tropical. I believe Heating and Cooling days also need to be taken into consideration.

At the end of the day, it is the vegetation that describes the climate rather than the accumulation of numbers. Show me a 50 foot Areca catechu, numerous 12 foot Licuala grandis, mature Neovetchia storckii, Pritchardia thurstonia and pacifica and even Cyrtostachys renda that have survived over 20 years in one palm garden in PB, and I will happily concede that Brevard County's climate is the tropical equivalent of PB!

What you look for is what is looking

I didn't say anything about the climates of Central and South Florida being equivalent, just that the barrier island location moderates the lows so much that they're comparable to places much further south that do not have the same advantage.

The biggest issue is the daily highs, which tend to not be affected by the island location. The average January low for the barrier islands off of Manatee county and Brevard county is 56˚, but the high is only 70˚. This gives an average of 63˚, so 1.8˚ colder than the Köppen definition of tropical, so coconuts do okay but more tropical palms tend to be badly affected. The rainfall is also significantly less because of the location, with a yearly average of only 34", compared to 62" in Palm Beach. 

Keith 

6 hours ago, Zeeth said:

The 17˚ figure comes from the NWS station in Melbourne though, which doesn't have the advantage of a barrier island location. The Patrick AFB station on the barrier island recorded 30˚ during that event (Jan 19, 1977). The coldest temp recorded at the Patrick AFB station was 24˚ in 1989, with the data going back to 1945. 

I'm glad you brought that up, I wasn't aware where the station was actually located and I had wondered about it. There is a world of difference between 17 and 24.  24 is really pretty warm for an all time low that far north in Florida. Still though, 24 would really shake things up out there today. 

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.