IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

rprimbs

I remember hearing that Dypsis marojejyi is now Dypsis coursii but I notice the Palmpedia still lists Dypsis marojejyi -- but no longer has pictures.  Is there still a Dypsis marojejyi?

Both of my "Dypsis coursii?" died. Has anybody succeeded with them in inland California?

Well I haven't

but

I'm gonna try!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I had one that had 2 rings of trunk and it up and died 4 yrs ago. I can only imaging how big it would be today. super fussy palm and a tough grow.

on the reverse side I have seen a couple nice specimens growing in Encinitas that are neglected and look fabulous.

location-location-location

I will indeed try again in another part of my yard

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Can't address the species epithet issue, but I have two plants grown from seedling size.

They are now large 5-gallon size.  I moved them out of the greenhouse on September 21st to acclimate them for potential ground planting next spring.  So far, the foliage has not suffered any discoloration and the spears continue to enlarge (slowly).  This morning the temperature is 3C / 37F. 

San Francisco, California

16 hours ago, rprimbs said:

I remember hearing that Dypsis marojejyi is now Dypsis coursii but I notice the Palmpedia still lists Dypsis marojejyi -- but no longer has pictures.  Is there still a Dypsis marojejyi?

Both of my "Dypsis coursii?" died. Has anybody succeeded with them in inland California?

As it is with Dypsis - confusion can be the name of the game. While not yet "official," Palmpedia has chosen to list the "Mad Fox" as D. coursii. And all photos previously associated with D. marojejyi are now with D. coursii.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I've had two die, both happened in summer heat

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

John Dransfield made the call to Coursii at the IPS board meeting in Oct. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I started with a pair two years ago, immediately after seeing them on a SC Palm Society tour (Bagley garden/Encinitas March 2013).  One of mine died in the pot, same part of the garden as the other a little after a move.  The second is still in a pot, waiting to get planted.  Both had/have extremely weak roots and require stakes to support.  During the summer, mine gets mostly shade mid-day and direct morning light/filtered late afternoon sun.  During this time of year, that part of my garden is full shade, but its still thriving.  Escondido obviously gets a lot hotter during the summer and less humidity than Leucadia or my former home in Carlsbad, so a couple of variables to consider.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

8 hours ago, LJG said:

John Dransfeld made the call to Coursii at the IPS board meeting in Oct. 

do you know why he changed the name?

Sunset zone 24

Hi Josh, the flower was not close enough to marojeji, and to much more like coursii in more ways than could warrant not changing it, this is conjecture on my part, but close I'm sure, here is what Dr. Dransfield had to say in 1995, Ed "This a most distinctive squat robust understory palm, abundant on the broad ridges in submontane forest on Marojejy. It has a short trunk, and leaves that do not fall off neatly, the crown tending to trap litter when young. In this respect it resembles D. perrieri but the leaves, while being about the same size, have grouped pinnae, and rather plumose, and the inflorescence is quite different, being much more diffusely branched. Roots from neighbouring trees tend to grow into the litter that accumulates in the crown, and as the palm grows, these zigzag tree roots continue to grow from sheath to sheath, eventually being exposed. Ferns are also abundant in the crown of this palm. It somewhat resembles D. coursii but has a much more robust stem, with much larger leaves and longer, narrower pinnae. The species name is derived from the type locality, Marojejy. As far as we know, this species is not in cultivation. (J. Dransfield and H. Beentje. 1995)/Palmweb."

• Upvote 2

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

I have four in the ground, three came from Floribunda a year and a half ago or so. One is in deep shade, two in partial sun, one in half day or more sun. They all seem to love lots of water and the one in full sun got beat up towards the end of summer. We'll see how they do their second full summer.

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, edric said:

Hi Josh, the flower was not close enough to marojeji, and to much more like coursii in more ways than could warrant not changing it, this is conjecture on my part, but close I'm sure, here is what Dr. Dransfield had to say in 1995, Ed "This a most distinctive squat robust understory palm, abundant on the broad ridges in submontane forest on Marojejy. It has a short trunk, and leaves that do not fall off neatly, the crown tending to trap litter when young. In this respect it resembles D. perrieri but the leaves, while being about the same size, have grouped pinnae, and rather plumose, and the inflorescence is quite different, being much more diffusely branched. Roots from neighbouring trees tend to grow into the litter that accumulates in the crown, and as the palm grows, these zigzag tree roots continue to grow from sheath to sheath, eventually being exposed. Ferns are also abundant in the crown of this palm. It somewhat resembles D. coursii but has a much more robust stem, with much larger leaves and longer, narrower pinnae. The species name is derived from the type locality, Marojejy. As far as we know, this species is not in cultivation. (J. Dransfield and H. Beentje. 1995)/Palmweb."

Thanks for the info Ed. you definatly have answered my question. Thanks :) 

Sunset zone 24

2 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

I have four in the ground, three came from Floribunda a year and a half ago or so. One is in deep shade, two in partial sun, one in half day or more sun. They all seem to love lots of water and the one in full sun got beat up towards the end of summer. We'll see how they do their second full summer.

image.jpeg

looking good! Seeing yours makes me want to try again. I wonder how cold tolerant these are?

Sunset zone 24