IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I want to wish you a Palmy Christmas!

Danilopez89

Wishing all the Palmtalkers a Merry Christmas. And a Happy New Year for 2016! :)

This has been my learning place when it comes to all things palms and gardening/landscaping. Look what you all created.:bemused:

IMG_20151224_17859.thumb.jpg.25a71f487e7

IMG_20151224_24665.thumb.jpg.247824f14dd

IMG_20151224_22580.thumb.jpg.0d11c74fc31

IMG_20151224_5381.thumb.jpg.f7d40a990e26

IMG_20151224_41498.thumb.jpg.2eea6a6484d

IMG_20151224_20621.thumb.jpg.362329f30c7

• Upvote 3

And it was even nicer for the PSSC meeting. Too bad for those of you who couldn't make it . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

14 hours ago, Danilopez89 said:

My coconut is gonna witness it's second winter. :greenthumb:

IMG_20151224_39651.thumb.jpg.7edf1f3cb2a

IMG_20151224_852.thumb.jpg.9ef744b9b5d46

Ah the Coco Frio - hopefully it will defy the odds and not become a Coconut of Doom. :o

Love the Tonka toy, reminds me of Christmas Past.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

+ 1 on the Tonka toy - it's the best part of your garden :D

Merry Christmas!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

15 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

And it was even nicer for the PSSC meeting. Too bad for those of you who couldn't make it . . . .

Thanks Dave. I hope to have trunking cocos next time around ^_^

Merry Christmas! 

Some Red and Green just in time!

2015-12-25 10.19.36.jpg

• Upvote 3

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

2 hours ago, Moose said:

Ah the Coco Frio - hopefully it will defy the odds and not become a Coconut of Doom. :o

Love the Tonka toy, reminds me of Christmas Past.

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

+ 1 on the Tonka toy - it's the best part of your garden :D

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas guys. The toys have become one of my favorites things in the garden. There will be many more after my son wakes up to open his gifts. :lol:

By the way Moose, that's a shade grown coco. It will definitely defy the odds if it makes it much longer. 

Edited by Danilopez89

Yeah, we already have Christmas madness going on here with my 19 month old little girl.  Time for a coffee break before the next round of having to build stuff!

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Yeah, we already have Christmas madness going on here with my 19 month old little girl.  Time for a coffee break before the next round of having to build stuff!

I'm in the same boat, but mine are 6 and 9

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

1 hour ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Merry Christmas! 

2015-12-25 10.19.36.jpg

That is AWESOME! I need some "Christmas palms" in my yard now :wub:

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to all.

Warmest one as far as i remember, first time yard is still completely without protection!.

We topped 15°C today making xmas feel more like spring!

Thx for all the beautiful Pictures guys!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Josh-O said:

I'm in the same boat, but mine are 6 and 9

The boat sailed here. My son recently moved to Oregon to attend school. Don't have to build things now, just write out big tuition checks.

The time passes so fast, hang on to each and every minute with the kids while you can!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Moose said:

The boat sailed here. My son recently moved to Oregon to attend school. Don't have to build things now, just write out big tuition checks.

The time passes so fast, hang on to each and every minute with the kids while you can!

Thanks Ron, That's some good advice :)  

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

7 hours ago, Pando said:

Merry Christmas Daniel! :)

h5gGXTz.jpg

Merry Christmas Ando! 

That's a real gem you got there. How long does the red color usually last?

7 minutes ago, Danilopez89 said:

Merry Christmas Ando! 

That's a real gem you got there. How long does the red color usually last?

Thanks! The reddish leaf you see on the left opened October 1, it's still red after about 3 months. In mid summer the red leaf lasts about 6 weeks as it grows faster (opens 1 leaf a month).

Edited by Pando

13 hours ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Merry Christmas! 

Lucky! My hookeri just started to open at the tip. Looks like it will be a show for New Years. In the meantime Merry Christmas Palm to everyone

20151225_143340.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 12/24/2015 3:30:03, Danilopez89 said:

My bottle palm

and baby spindle palm opening a new frond during Christmas. :wub:

IMG_20151224_31639.thumb.jpg.9666bf23205

IMG_20151224_52823.thumb.jpg.aff14b1fa76

I'll have to correct myself. The small palm is a hyphorbe indica. I forgot my spindle was the one that got killed by the summer sun.

The palm in the center is a cypophoenix nucele.

Today is looking even better....this is the nicest leaf in the last couple of years. The color usually only lasts a week or so for mine....but maybe this one will be longer....6 weeks would be awesome 

2015-12-26 11.12.41.jpg

2015-12-26 11.13.06.jpg

• Upvote 5

41 minutes ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Today is looking even better....this is the nicest leaf in the last couple of years. The color usually only lasts a week or so for mine....but maybe this one will be longer....6 weeks would be awesome 

2015-12-26 11.12.41.jpg

2015-12-26 11.13.06.jpg

David, is that indoors in some kind of conservatory?

Ben Rogers

Screened pool area. This is one of Ken Johnsons palms. It has been in the ground for almost 3 years. I protect it below freezing with a tarp and sometimes some artificial heat. Went through the Polar Vortex like that. This year no freezing temps and none expected for the next week. Maybe a 10a winter? In the future another wall may be built Making it completely enclosed except the top.....it would be easier to protect the courtyard palms and it would cut down on my noise problem with the road 40 foot away.

2 hours ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Screened pool area. This is one of Ken Johnsons palms. It has been in the ground for almost 3 years. I protect it below freezing with a tarp and sometimes some artificial heat. Went through the Polar Vortex like that. This year no freezing temps and none expected for the next week. Maybe a 10a winter? In the future another wall may be built Making it completely enclosed except the top.....it would be easier to protect the courtyard palms and it would cut down on my noise problem with the road 40 foot away.

I've previously wondered about that area of your house.  Palm and screened area look great.  I need a flamethrower like that.

Ben Rogers

21 hours ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

2015-12-26 11.12.41.jpg

2015-12-26 11.13.06.jpg

Great micro climate for a beautiful palm.

Ed in Houston

17 hours ago, rick said:

Little late for Christmas but I'll take it

20151227_173444.thumb.jpg.85e7207aaf3e1c 20151227_173145.thumb.jpg.54db2312a5d941

And you tell everyone you can't grow anything in your Sandy soil. Rick you are a fibber. 

10 hours ago, Monòver said:

Every chambys are opening leaves on Christmast?

This is mine, today, ready to open.

Looks like yours is ready for Día de los Reyes 

• Upvote 1