IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Your garden from the outside, as one approaches

DoomsDave

So, you see your garden as you always see it, from inside.

But, what about those who see it from outside?

Here's my garden from the other side, the east.

The feather palm in the far left is Butch, the big Roystonea regia. To the right is a crowd of Archies. To their right are the soaring spires of Caryota urens. And, just above the gray pickup on the right, is the crown of the Al Franken Brahea.

Show us yours!

321.thumb.JPG.a304b6b195ca74d61ad59a559c

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

3 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

So, you see your garden as you always see it, from inside.

But, what about those who see it from outside?

Here's my garden from the other side, the east.

The feather palm in the far left is Butch, the big Roystonea regia. To the right is a crowd of Archies. To their right are the soaring spires of Caryota urens. And, just above the gray pickup on the right, is the crown of the Al Franken Brahea.

Show us yours!

321.thumb.JPG.a304b6b195ca74d61ad59a559c

very impressive Dave, gotta love the perspective 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Here's my garden from the West, Turndell avenue.

This is further outside than I can even imagine, and it's what my neighbors see every time they drive by and look to the east. (Dang, who IS that wierdo? I HOPE he likes palms. Geeze, gotta go wheeze.)

380.thumb.JPG.1d18a9968ca0de24e3bb91bb2f381.thumb.JPG.f45f179d407c691d693749fa3b

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Looking awesome Dave!! :drool:The Caryota have a unique look to them

Nothing as impressive as yours, by far, but here is a video approach to mine :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

My house is the barrel tile roof not the neighbors metal two story....I'm getting swallowed by the jungle.

2015-12-27 20.06.48.jpg

2015-12-27 20.07.19.jpg

• Upvote 5

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

3 hours ago, Kostas said:

I time, in  time!

Thanks for sharing!

1 hour ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

My house is the barrel tile roof not the neighbors metal two story....I'm getting swallowed by the jungle.

2015-12-27 20.06.48.jpg

2015-12-27 20.07.19.jpg

I wanna go see

now

it's always fun to see other's gardens.  These are definitely the teaser type perspectives, when you can only get a sense that there is a great deal of beauty inside.  Dave it looks like you have some serious canopy going in large portions of your garden!  Very nice!

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

16 minutes ago, Tracy said:

it's always fun to see other's gardens.  These are definitely the teaser type perspectives, when you can only get a sense that there is a great deal of beauty inside.  Dave it looks like you have some serious canopy going in large portions of your garden!  Very nice!

Too much canopy for anyone's good

come visit before the chainsaw emerges

• Upvote 1

My garden is far from being palmy yet most of my collection is not much taller than my ankle. 20151228_161607.thumb.jpg.d7561ed8451624

20151228_161840.thumb.jpg.ceb388a178614e

The cat enjoys her jungle

20151228_161720.thumb.jpg.2109d2f9cbed81

So much empty space, one day will be full of giant leaves.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Too much canopy for anyone's good

come visit before the chainsaw emerges

A canopy of Doom.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

10 hours ago, Pip said:

My garden is far from being palmy yet most of my collection is not much taller than my ankle. 20151228_161607.thumb.jpg.d7561ed8451624

Keep this for a before - can hardly wait to see the after!

18 hours ago, Kostas said:

awesome drone work Kostas. you palms all look so very happy and healthy. great Job!!!

Sunset zone 24

12 hours ago, Pip said:

I cant wait to see some updated pic's in the future :) 

Sunset zone 24

16 hours ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

2015-12-27 20.06.48.jpg

2015-12-27 20.07.19.jpg

Sheer awesomeness!! looks like a yard in Kona town HI.

Sunset zone 24

Thanks Josh....a very nice complement that I'm not sure I deserve....but will take it anyway...lol....a big development is going in across the street and they are supposed to put all those utility lines underground. They will also be putting in landscaping (mainly Southern Magnolia, tree holly, Sabal palms and maybe sereona).....I been talking to the landscape architect and trying to get him to plant some mules) Wish I had the Hawaii weather here. B)

Dave that Caryota!:o

Kostas......pretty cool video (GoPro) on a drone?

Pip...poor cat...what did you do to it....lol

2 hours ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Dave that Caryota!:o

Kostas......pretty cool video (GoPro) on a drone?

Pip...poor cat...what did you do to it....lol

David, that species will take the cold, too. It's going to seed and soon I will have buckets full to send to my good friends on PT who want some.

Put me on the list....usually Caryota sp. don't do well in my sand but I keep trying. When it seeds will it die? What species? 

This is my tiny stamp size Dutch front yard (15' by 15') with rather un-Dutch plantings: Jubaea, my mass Canna experiment now in ground for several years, 2 smaller Waggies, Yucca gloriosa, Yucca linearis, some miniature Pinus species, Lillies and some other plants (some species not visible) . With the house standing 30' tall, there is and will be no view on backyard for passers-by - and its quite unlikely to happen in my lifetime + climate mix...

Intent for Front yard side was to cover all soil (no weeds), and have a minimum amount of winter protection work done - only the Jubaea and Waggies get some when things get really ugly.

Pic from 2013/8. Meanwhile the Jubaea - my true pride and joy - has put on another 10 or so leaves and an additional foot in height (now closing in on 6' above soil) and is starting to look quite bulky. It was planted in 2010 as a 90L and my biggest palmy investment thus far at that time. By now its now turning nearly every head passing through my street.

Running out of space in soil, I've added 2 more Trachy last year in the streetside  gravel area on the lower left in picture; 1 regular fortunei and a 'new form' princeps.

IMG_0087.thumb.JPG.a14a522b959230395cda2

Edited by _Rob_
added species
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Rob, we'll be keeping an eye on that Jube!

11 minutes ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Put me on the list....usually Caryota sp. don't do well in my sand but I keep trying. When it seeds will it die? What species? 

The big tall ones are C. urens. They are about 9 - 10 years old from seed, and, alas, they die when they seed.

I'll also have C. mitis which are much smaller and they're multi trunkers.

This is my front gate and they view as you come down they driveway.

IMG_0655.thumb.JPG.52515586ccb75c83d8ab3

IMG_0168.thumb.JPG.0e3a11265b6cc9c429dc9

• Like 2
  • Upvote 8

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Here's a couple "sunbeam shots" where a ray of sun shoots through a hole in the clouds and splashes gold on some of the palms. (Glad I had my camera with me.)

023.thumb.JPG.e3262dd44e2aa57cad8ee4d498025.thumb.JPG.1e06c4815486a4f4268d6e35db

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Now that I've seen Scott's Guatemalan gate I think some new design is in order, but this is the street view of my place today...

DSC_0346.thumb.jpg.7ce88ada8da991ce3482f

• Upvote 8

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

1 hour ago, Kim said:

Now that I've seen Scott's Guatemalan gate I think some new design is in order, but this is the street view of my place today...

nothing like a nice canvas to work with

Sunset zone 24

Great views everyone!!!

David, you have done a great work to have such a view from the outside already!

Scott, WOW, that is the true tropical view! I guess the tropics helped you some as well but the design you did is amazing! 

Dave, your photos never fail to amaze! You have created a garden rivaling the true tropics while I remember you have gotten -4C in the past!! Amazing! I only hope I can do close to as well as you have done

Thank you Dave, Dani, David and Josh! Great to hear you like it :)

I used a Phantom 3 with 4K camera but only uploaded it at 1/4 the quality. I will try to shoot more of the garden with it 

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Nice views guys!

Boy David your backyard looks lush despite your devastating freezes in the past. So they are building something across the street in the back across the street where all that water was leaking into your yard from under the road? Will the new construction solve your seasonal water issues on the one side of your property? That would be a big plus. Your view from the road really does look nice. Pretty soon that mule will be above your roof.

We don't really have much of a palmy view from the street. I don't have many photos our of side yard from the street side but posting one below. The palms in our middle back bed aren't visible from the road with the house blocking the view and they'll never be taller than our 2-story house and roof. The right side yard is narrow and pretty much the two mules we have planted there line up with our front side yard butia so it's a limited view and not varied. Still received compliments from some neighbors who drive down the road and see the pinnate canopy and like it. The front yard is planted more Mediterranean, saving the tropical paradise more for us inside. 

StreetView.thumb.JPG.bd0a868bf58352a34d7

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Boom!! Some truly spectacular views. Scott, Kim, these are a dream for anyone in 8b.

Dave, gold medal for that photo! Sun does do beautiful things on palms - especially when wet.

Westcoastgal, for a "not-too-palmy streetview" i think that bulky pinnate is indeed amazing. Ive adopted similar strategy, keeping the lush looks more hidden in backyard.

(Note to self: check PT gardenposts in USA before my business travels...was in SD only a few months back ...in Houston, Orlando en Seattle area next year)

This is my entrance to my highland garden.It is quite different from my beach entrance with the steel gate, razor wire,electric wire,cameras and armed guards.Even the palms are not friendly! That palm growing over the top is a Desmoncus sp. climbing palm and it is ferocious.Almost no palms can be seen from outside. 

IMG_1085.thumb.JPG.97680dac888dab2538fa1

• Upvote 3

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

22 hours ago, scottgt said:

This is my front gate and they view as you come down they driveway.

IMG_0655.thumb.JPG.52515586ccb75c83d8ab3

IMG_0168.thumb.JPG.0e3a11265b6cc9c429dc9

Very cool Central America !

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

20 hours ago, Kim said:

Kim, I see a lava rock wall flanking both sides.of your entrance. The wall has a slight curve and is very rough hewn and covered with bromeliads.

21 minutes ago, palmislandRandy said:

Very cool Central America !

Thanks Randy! I love my beach garden.When I pass through those gets I feel so much less stress.

This will hopefully start to look more impressive over the years, as my plantings get bigger and the weeds get taken out.

DSC06865.jpg

• Upvote 1

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

From out on the road you don't see many palms on my place. They're mostly in or around the main garden area out the back of the house which is about 100 metres back from the gate. The only ones visible are a couple of Coconuts, a Carpy, and an Alexander.

pt_n_15123005.jpg

• Upvote 1

This is our driveway from the street. We can see the royals from a few k's away. This part of the garden is only young still , about 7 years old .

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0001.JPG

• Upvote 4

On 12/28/2015, 4:09:42, DoomsDave said:

David, that species will take the cold, too. It's going to seed and soon I will have buckets full to send to my good friends on PT who want some.

That massive Caryota urens should be called the Tower of Doom™

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Very nice and impressive gardens.  Tropical gardens are by far the most beautiful and fascinating.  To me, northern "gardens" are very boring.  For instance, roses have never done anything for me, but a beautiful hibiscus, now that is something, and there just is no substitute for PALMS!

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Not my garden, but one I pass frequently when walking my dog.  I have never caught the owner at home, but asked the neighbor about the garden today.  He said the son of the original owner lives in the home now, and the original owner planted many of the palms about 30 years ago.  It's in north Leucadia, west of 5 and east of the Coast Highway.  Anyone recognize it?

20160217-104A1041 small.jpg

20160217-104A1038 small.jpg

20160217-104A1035 small.jpg

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Yes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.