IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhapidophyllum hystrix From Three Different States

Bigfish

I went exploring last month, with the majority of my trip focusing on Rhapidophyllum hystrix.  I still haven't found them in Bibb County, Alabama, but there is a small population in Chambers County, Alabama, which is above the Fall Line and squarely in the Piedmont.  The only population that really differed noticeably from any of the others was a small population in Twiggs County, GA.  That population tends to not have much, if any, above-ground trunk, and also send pups out a ways further than normal from the mother stem. 

I'll start with the one picture I have from Twiggs County, Georgia (I know...why didn't I take more???)

IMG_0402.jpg

• Upvote 5

Autauga County, AL.  This was a very hilly area near the Alabama River, and didn't look like Coastal Plain (but it is, technically)!

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

• Upvote 5

A few from Marion County, FL.  Some pics of this area have been posted before, from Juniper Springs Recreational Area, so I'll just include a couple of pics from there.

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0296(1).jpg

• Upvote 4

It's wonderful to see these hidden gems, thank you for exploring our native palms and documenting them in their natural habitat. Incredible! 

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

I just want to say thank you once more for these pix. THIS is the kind of thing I most want to see on this forum. Nothing bests habitat photos. How far south can this palm be found in Florida (commonly) growing wild?

8 minutes ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

I just want to say thank you once more for these pix. THIS is the kind of thing I most want to see on this forum. Nothing bests habitat photos. How far south can this palm be found in Florida (commonly) growing wild?

I don't know how common it is there, but Rhapidophyllum can be found in Highlands, Hardee, and Manatee County in FL.  I can tell you that the distribution map in Georgia is woefully incomplete, and Rhapidophyllum can be found in many more counties in Alabama as well.  One of these days, I'd like to see the farthest westerly populations in MS as well.  There's also a population in Amite County, MS, which borders Louisiana.  I'd be willing to bet that Rhapidophyllum can be found in LA also.

• Upvote 2

Cool! They fit so well into that type of landscape.

I wonder what parts of Manatee county these are found in. I've never seen them, but I mostly stay near the coast. There are pockets inland that I swear are zone 9a, so I could see these doing well there. 

It would be neat if you found the population that grows in the coldest native habitat. I wonder if they would have any more hardiness than the standard needle. 

• Upvote 2

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

4 minutes ago, Zeeth said:

Cool! They fit so well into that type of landscape.

I wonder what parts of Manatee county these are found in. I've never seen them, but I mostly stay near the coast. There are pockets inland that I swear are zone 9a, so I could see these doing well there. 

It would be neat if you found the population that grows in the coldest native habitat. I wonder if they would have any more hardiness than the standard needle. 

I believe that Rhapidophyllum from Chambers County and Bibb County, AL should be more cold hardy than populations in Florida.  It just makes sense!

• Upvote 2

Torreya is a special place. They grow thick there (many plants close together). Such a beautiful palm. I'm sure you enjoyed your exploration. Thanks for sharing with us.

• Upvote 1

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Thanks for the beautiful habitat photos. My readings had led me to believe that as a "relict" palm that rarely set seeds it was one step from extinction. You've shown there are many more out there going unnoticed by most people. That is probably a good thing for the palms. Habitat destruction is their worst enemy. I hope every state where they grow takes measures to conserve and protect them.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

5 hours ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

I have seen them as far south as Orange and Seminole counties. 

• Upvote 1

Brevard County, Fl

10 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Thanks for the beautiful habitat photos. My readings had led me to believe that as a "relict" palm that rarely set seeds it was one step from extinction. You've shown there are many more out there going unnoticed by most people. That is probably a good thing for the palms. Habitat destruction is their worst enemy. I hope every state where they grow takes measures to conserve and protect them.

Some populations can have a hundred or more palms in it and you won't find the first seed.  Then there are others with maybe a few dozen palms with a good balance of male and female palms that produce copious amounts of seeds.  

Habitat destruction is definitely their worst enemy!  Logging and development continue to destroy populations every year.  It is widespread in the Southeast USA, but by no means is it common.  In some counties, there are just a few small populations.  I was in one area last month that was being logged while I was in there!  Needless to say, I left, lol.  Another population in Georgia by a major highway was almost completely wiped out because they widened the road.  Rhapidophyllum was taken off the endangered species list over 30 years ago, but I predict that it will be back on it sometime in the next 30 years.

Glad you all enjoyed the pictures!  I enjoy getting out into the woods and seeing them.  Hopefully I can get some Chambers County, AL pictures up soon, and maybe soon I will be able to locate those elusive Bibb County, AL palms.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Frank - Knoxville said:

Some populations can have a hundred or more palms in it and you won't find the first seed.  Then there are others with maybe a few dozen palms with a good balance of male and female palms that produce copious amounts of seeds.  

Habitat destruction is definitely their worst enemy!  Logging and development continue to destroy populations every year.  It is widespread in the Southeast USA, but by no means is it common.  In some counties, there are just a few small populations.  I was in one area last month that was being logged while I was in there!  Needless to say, I left, lol.  Another population in Georgia by a major highway was almost completely wiped out because they widened the road.  Rhapidophyllum was taken off the endangered species list over 30 years ago, but I predict that it will be back on it sometime in the next 30 years.

Glad you all enjoyed the pictures!  I enjoy getting out into the woods and seeing them.  Hopefully I can get some Chambers County, AL pictures up soon, and maybe soon I will be able to locate those elusive Bibb County, AL palms.

Were they ever found in Barbo(u)r County, Alabama?

A seriously American palm, and the Hardiest Palm on Earth!

Hope you gather seed and make it available.

We need those hardy palms, in palm poor places like Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Indiana . . .

Among many others, including Norway, Sweden, England . . ..

RUSSIA!

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

8 hours ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

Were they ever found in Barbo(u)r County, Alabama?

Yes, there are records for Barbour County. 

• Upvote 1

Great documentation of this palms natural habitat.

Does anyone have an idea why these don't occur naturally in Louisiana an East Texas?

Rhapidophyllum.png

Ed in Houston

On the seed question ..... in trying to obrain S. reopens  (silver) seed for a couple of people here on PT .... I have noticed this year that there are no fruiting plants....none!  .... in years past I have noticed copious amounts of seed .... maybe the reason for no seed is its the wrong year.... maybe they don't produce seed annually? 

Anyone else ever observed this?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Some plants produce fruit in alternate years. I'm not sure if this occurs in the palm kingdom though. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

4 hours ago, Ed in Houston said:

Great documentation of this palms natural habitat.

Does anyone have an idea why these don't occur naturally in Louisiana an East Texas?

Rhapidophyllum.png

Ed in Houston

Clearly, state regulations prevent it.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

3 hours ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

On the seed question ..... in trying to obrain S. reopens  (silver) seed for a couple of people here on PT .... I have noticed this year that there are no fruiting plants....none!  .... in years past I have noticed copious amounts of seed .... maybe the reason for no seed is its the wrong year.... maybe they don't produce seed annually? 

Anyone else ever observed this?

Not with Serenoa but after the bitter winters of 2010 I noticed that surviving Adonidias did not fruit for 2 years. You had back-to-back bad winters. Perhaps all the Serenoas (silver ones anyway - I've noticed they aren't as robust as the green) took time off to recover and conserve resources. Down here saw palmettos fruit yearly.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.