IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How do you 'pineapple' a Sylvester palm's trunk?

Sandy Loam

I cannot imagine how this would be done or why.......a CIDP yes, but this?

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I wasn't referring to the "pineapple" look done to certain Canary Island Date Palms beneath the crown.  I was referring to the common trunk pruning technique done to phoenix sylvestris which is essentially the removal of leaf bases (boots), creating that bumpy look all the way down the trunk.  All of the new highway-side phoenix sylvestris plantings have this. It is quite common, but how is it done and with what kind of equipment? Will I massacre my phoenix sylvestris if I use my chainsaw? I assume that I need to buy a more delicate saw of some type.

Use a reciprocal saw with a pruning blade (sometimes called an "Ugly Blade"). Cut close, but not too close parallel with the trunk..... you will see the pattern when you do this and can make adjustments. Be prepared to spend some time to make it look right.

• Upvote 2

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

The pineapple at the top of the CIDP is the old leaf bases cut with a chainsaw tangential to the trunk when viewed from above. The bumpy trunk of a Phoenix is created by pulling away old leaf bases.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

8 hours ago, Danilopez89 said:

I've tried it on mine. It's hard work. I guess I need to try a reciprocating saw and see if I get better results.

IMG_20151223_46746.thumb.jpg.4dfe4de0dc2

IMG_20151107_3948.thumb.jpg.63495bb37a4e

Dani you'd better use a chainsaw to remove the greatest part of a whole leaf (leave only base and one third of petiole) before you start shaping leaf bases with the reciprocal saw. Otherwise whole leaf could break by its own weight as you saw leaf off with the reciprocal saw near the base from the beginning, causing thus an uneven surface and lateral scars.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Dani you'd better use a chainsaw to remove the greatest part of a whole leaf (leave only base and one third of petiole) before you start shaping leaf bases with the reciprocal saw. Otherwise whole leaf could break by its own weight as you saw leaf off with the reciprocal saw near the base from the beginning, causing thus an uneven surface and lateral scars.

Thanks for the tip. When I have enough trunk I want to clean them up like these in this pic

IMG_20151224_57550.thumb.jpg.0944dd51b70

In Spain we use this tool for clean the trunks and cut leaves, the name is "corvellote".

It is fast and it is cleaner than the saw.

IMG-20151224-WA0010.jpg.bbd6aeacad6be26eAnd this is one CIDP after clean with this

IMG-20151224-WA0011.jpg

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Monòver said:

In Spain we use this tool for clean the trunks and cut leaves, the name is "corvellote".

It is fast and it is cleaner than the saw.

IMG-20151224-WA0010.jpg.bbd6aeacad6be26eAnd this is one CIDP after clean with this

IMG-20151224-WA0011.jpg

Oh wow! Very nice clean cuts.:greenthumb:

I've never seen that tool before. Is it very sharp. I'm wondering if it's easy to learn how to use that tool?

do mean pineapple cut or diamond cut. the pineapple cut is like pics posted above. diamond cut is done on sylvesters or silver dates by shaving off the boots close to the trunk. either way its done with a chainsaw.

I'm actually looking for someone to clean mine up in Southern California. I prefer the straight smooth trunk vs a pineapple. There is a really cool video on you tube if you type in palm tree classic cut.

image.jpeg

17 hours ago, Danilopez89 said:

Oh wow! Very nice clean cuts.:greenthumb:

I've never seen that tool before. Is it very sharp. I'm wondering if it's easy to learn how to use that tool?

This is the traditional tool for prune Phoenix dactiliferas in Spain.

One thousand years ago we had date palms but nobody had saws.

It is easy to use, with only a few hours, you could learn how use it.

Not sure this practice is the best thing for the palms. Looks like green petiole on some. Cut green parts may weep a scent that attract borers. 

The removal of brown fronds only here on the Phoenix of Doom.

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

50 minutes ago, Moose said:

Not sure this practice is the best thing for the palms. Looks like green petiole on some. Cut green parts may weep a scent that attract borers. 

The removal of brown fronds only here on the Phoenix of Doom.

Not just a  possibility but a certainty! This may be the main reason, why rpw has proven so devastating in southern Europe!!