IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cold coming

Yunder Wækraus

It's supposed to be wet and in the 50s tonight. This will be the first time it has been below 60 at our new house. Yesterday it was so warm than the ac stayed on all day and night. Though the absolute low won't be too bad, it will be a 30-degree swing compared to the usual 10-15 change. Should I expect to see signs of stress or damage on the most tender tropicals?

Wild swings in temperatures as a cold front comes through are pretty typical in Central Florida, so I wouldn't worry too much since it's not predicted to get anything close to freezing. 

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Had to come - 50s not so bad. Supposedly will warm up again through the end of the year. Then Jan. & Feb. to negotiate.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

It feels nice out there, as long as it does not get any cooler than this I will be happy! :D But as Meg said we still have a couple months to go.

• Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Low was 52.3F

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

In the low 40s at my place. I don't see any cold weather for the next 10 days.

No fall freeze this year on the upper gulf Coast?

Ed in Houston

• Upvote 1

That's as low as it got for you Jason?  Wow.  I'd imagine 57F is near (or just above) the average low for Cocoa Beach for December 19th.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, palmsOrl said:

That's as low as it got for you Jason?  Wow.  I'd imagine 57F is near (or just above) the average low for Cocoa Beach for December 19th.

Is this fall/winter warmer than average? Thus far, our average low has been in the mid (if not high) 60s

3 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

Low here was around 47F.  To heck with the palms, I needed a break from the 80F weather!

I am with you! :D

• Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

3 hours ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

Is this fall/winter warmer than average? Thus far, our average low has been in the mid (if not high) 60s

A little bit.  It's a bit cooler than average today.

Brevard County, Fl

Yunder, Played  golf this morning at 7:00 AM  and weather underground predicted that the temperature would be 64F.  It was 70 F but windy.  Fort Lauderdale reported it highest ever minimum temperature in December at 77F  yesterday morning.  Remainder of the week close to New Year's shows highs in the low 80s and lows in the low 70s.  As you well know, cold weather in Florida can turn on a dime.  This year and even last year something is different.  It just feels like we will never have any cool weather.  Great for Palm's but not so much for us humans. 

• Upvote 2

What you look for is what is looking

2 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

Yes. It has been a warm winter thus far. Average low for Cocoa Beach this part of December is about 59/60 degrees. But I am a little nervous talking about it because I don't want to brag and then jinx the situation.

• Upvote 1

:hmm:

You guys are being spoiled...

We keep getting hit with strong winds and chilly days. I miss my heat:crying:

I say you better go knock on wood...:evil:

• Upvote 1

I don't want to rub it in (yes I do!), but Christmas day in our town will have a high of 82 and a low of 72. Merry Christmas from Florida, SoCal! ;-)

• Upvote 1