IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

what would you consider the rarest palm in your collection?

Josh-O

what would you consider the rarest palm you have growing in your garden?

Given locality differences around the world this should be an interesting topic to discuss from zones 8b-11a

if you have any pictures please post them.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Mine Would be probably a Livistona Langinosa? I don't have a lot.  But that's changing cause of JOSH lol.   I will have a Raphia Farinifera in ground by end of the year!

My Rarest Palms that are yet to go into ground are probably these. Although I am no expert on what is considered "rare" as I have been told that I should be planting more "Rare" stuff than what I am planting LoL. I am trying. 

Have not put into ground yet, but will eventually go into ground when I can get locations in garden worked out.

I have 2 Sabal Miamiensis ( Been told this is controversial Palm/Topic)

I just got 4 total Kerriodoxa Elegans that are in the garage waiting to be planted when I can get the conditions right to plant

Lastly, I have 3 Chameyronia Houailou waiting to be planted as well. Maybe not "Rare" but rarest of this Species I believe.

IMG_0233 (1).JPG

IMG_0889.JPG

IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0903.JPG

• Upvote 2

Licuala mattanensis 'mapu'. First pic is upon purchase in 4/15, second pic is last month. Little bugger is coming along nicely, need to get it in the ground.

824790264_o.jpg

IMG_4118.JPG

• Upvote 5

Rarest, meaning the fewest people have another--if any... Silver rigida or variegated fallaensis. They are a toss up, at this point.

Syagrus insignis (Lytocaryum insigne) 1¾ year old, if really rare I don’t know, but my rarest in my since 2008 very limited "collection". During winter on a northern window sill with temps between 14° and 18°C. The diameter of the pots is 14.8 mm.

566ffabddba23_Syagrusinsignis1yearoldP10

• Upvote 2

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

I believe out of the 140 species of palms I have in my collection, my Cryosophila guagara is probably the rarest.

20151129_141612.jpg

• Upvote 4

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

I used to have a Voanioala, but it met an untimely demise. 

There probably aren't too many people in Florida growing Pritchardia munroi though.

IMG_4431.thumb.JPG.c0d51d514c34f50c85fa6

• Upvote 4

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Do hybrids count?  How many folks have a Butia paraguayensis x Queen?

Otherwise maybe it is my reverse Syagrus x Butia cross:

10609703_10153101034487234_3891949078913

Or maybe my JxS:

12249836_10153109440237234_1612048257114

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I don't know if theses are still considered rare, but here is one of my 3 Licuaua sallehana's.

DSC_0008.jpg

• Upvote 1

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

In general, I think it really depends how to define "rare" and why.

In the ground in outside environment? Surviving for how long? One could get a tender one from Hawaii, stick it into ground and take pictures. It will be dead by January, but get another one in March, just like last year.

In the pot? Perhaps describe your greenhouse.

Rare in the wild? A species could be extinct in the wild, yet regularly sold in Home Depot.

Rare in cultivation? Abundant in the wild, but few have managed (or cared enough) to grow; could be finicky, ugly, or the habitat is still surrounded by cannibals.

Rare in your locale? A rare specimen in one locality is a weed in another.

Undescribed species? Dypsis what? Even Dransfield can't tell...

Variations? Some say it's a black stem, others say it's just a baronii... :mrlooney:

Hybrids? All bets are off on those, every one can be different. And see the two above.

Rare among friends? What length did you really go for the bragging rights.   :greenthumb:

Mine is probably this thing, 39F outside and it's opening a new red leaf. Rare in my locale but probably abundant in habitat, could also be a hybrid, undescribed, or who knows.

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 1

Most of the palms I have would be considered rare in Malta as only a few common species are available & planted, but I would say my most rare palm would be my Jubutyagrus, which I can almost guarantee is the only one here...

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

My hyophorbe amaricaulis is pretty rare I think. I keep cutting the flower spikes off because they're ugly. 

• Upvote 6

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

In terms of rareness in the wild: Pritchardtia munroi, supposedly only ONE left in teh wild. P. schautteri, only 8 left in the wild.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

My hyophorbe amaricaulis is pretty rare I think. I keep cutting the flower spikes off because they're ugly. 

Are you sure it is a genuine amaricaulis????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In wikipedia is considered  "the most gravely threatened species there is, in any kingdom". 

2 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

Are you sure it is a genuine amaricaulis????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In wikipedia is considered  "the most gravely threatened species there is, in any kingdom". 

Steve obviously was kidding................I think.

• Upvote 1

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Of course, after I have read the second sentence in his post^_^ Btw I also own a Paschalococos!

Edited by Phoenikakias

Mine would probably be my Licuala mattenensis 'Mapu'. They've been in the ground a few years now but always struggle during hot dry periods.

Hydriastele (Drymophloeus) oliviformis is probably another one, rarely mentioned anywhere.

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

In terms of rareness in the wild: Pritchardtia munroi, supposedly only ONE left in teh wild. P. schautteri, only 8 left in the wild.

Dave, probably true, but plants can be found with little trouble. The Glocks have a large P. schautteri seeding now down near Key West. And I think I still have a munroi or two in the greenhouse.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

8 hours ago, palmislandRandy said:

I don't know if theses are still considered rare, but here is one of my 3 Licuaua sallehana's.

DSC_0008.jpg

Those are pretty darn rare Randy, especially that size. Your friendship with Jeff Searle and Mike Harris has your rare meter off kilter.

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

My Chaemerops 'Douglas Mutant' is the rarest palm in my garden....I have been asked not to post its photo......

• Upvote 1

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

6 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

Steve - sorry buddy, that's a Sabal minor.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

It's hard to say what would constitute my rarest species planted out. Because I love the genus Licuala, some of the rarer species would be,

L. sallehana

L. beccariana

L. terengganuensis

L. merquensis.

Others I'm enjoying are,

Cryosophila nana

Cyrtostachys elegans X C. renda

Cyrtostachys elegans

Hydriastele selibicum

And I'm now very proud to say I have a new Double coconut seed BUT not viable. This almost counts, no?:)

• Upvote 3

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

4 hours ago, Moose said:

Steve - sorry buddy, that's a Sabal minor.

Are those as rare. 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

11 hours ago, Moose said:

Those are pretty darn rare Randy, especially that size. Your friendship with Jeff Searle and Mike Harris has your rare meter off kilter.

Randy from that shot, at least, it looks like an orbicularis(not saying it is). I killed my sallehana--or my soil did...

I have a Neonicholsonia watsonii that I dug up from the Glock's garden in the Keys. It has not skipped a beat and is rooting out in a 7 gallon.  They (Glocks) still have one in the ground at that same property.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Stevetoad said:

Good one Steve. I almost spit up my coffee laughing.

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

17 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

Dave, probably true, but plants can be found with little trouble. The Glocks have a large P. schautteri seeding now down near Key West. And I think I still have a munroi or two in the greenhouse.

Which illustrates the conundrum of what is "rare" anyway?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Which illustrates the conundrum of what is "rare" anyway?

Dave,

The topic is...."rare in our collection". But right, what one has and considered "rare" to him and would be, would not necessarily be to the next collector. But hey, who cares were all having fun at it and enjoy showing our palms off to one another.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.