IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

NickyB

Hi everyone!

I’m just starting out a palm project (nursery) in Jamaica!!

With a small budget ($200 USD) to purchase some seeds and begin, I’m looking for rare trees that all well sought after. Any recommendations would be great…

I have roughly two acres of land to make use of: 400ft above sea level with year-round sunshine and good weather (tropical climate) 

On my list so far (locally avaible):

• Bismarckia
  • Lipstick, Red Sealing Wax 
  • Triangle 
  • Red Latania
  • Sago
  • Foxtail
  • Travelers 
  • Roebelenii

These are generally what the nurseries out here stock. Any other suggestions would be great!

Currently I have potted roughly 100 Royal palms and 50 Solitaire palms from suckers, I know they are quite common and inexpensive but I am working with whats available at time moment. 

With many palms growing all over the island as you can imagine, I plan to go collecting seeds but haven't been able to do much collecting yet. I will keep you posted with questions and pictures for sure.

Nuff love from Jamaica,

Nicky

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Moose said:

Why not stock what others don't, be a unique. 

Hi Moose,

Thats the idea, so I am asking for some beautiful suggestions..

Any Pseudophoenix species. Slow growers but very tough and unique palm species.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Like Moose suggested, try some different species that other don't grow. I have a little experience with that train of thought. There's many to consider,

Licuala grandis

Veitchia spp.

Thrinax radiata

Kentiopsis oliviormis

Livistona spp.

Neoveitcia storckii

Dypsis ( many species ).....cabadae, carsmithii, etc.

Copernicia spp.

Cccothrinax spp.

• Upvote 2

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

A  couple weeks ago I was on a cruise ship that stopped at Falmouth. We didn't go on any of the very expensive activities the cruise line peddled, instead, checked out the area around the harbor. To my immense disappointment, I found no native Caribbean palms, almost no tropical palms at all. Instead, I found rows of Washingtonia robusta (!!??!), Livistona chinensis and the occasional half dead Adonidia.

So what should you check out? None of the above.  See below.

Coccothrinax: numerous species from Cuba and throughout the Caribbean

Roystonea: not just regia but the rarer ones too

Chamaedorea: any species that can take lowland heat and humidity

Chuniophoenix

Chelycarpus

Pseudophoenix - all species

Serenoa repens: silver form

Thrinax/Leucothrinax/Hemithrinax

Heat tolerant Dypsis

Sabal spss: yapa, mauritiiformis, xbrazoriana etc.

Ptychosperma spss

Arenga spss

Copernicia spss - gigas is faster growing, baileyana, hospita, prunifera, rigida, alba, macroglossa, fallaensis. If you have access to visit Cuba at the right times you may be able to collect wild seed.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

8 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

A  couple weeks ago I was on a cruise ship that stopped at Falmouth. We didn't go on any of the very expensive activities the cruise line peddled, instead, checked out the area around the harbor. To my immense disappointment, I found no native Caribbean palms, almost no tropical palms at all. Instead, I found rows of Washingtonia robusta (!!??!), Livistona chinensis and the occasional half dead Adonidia.

So what should you check out? None of the above.  See below.

Coccothrinax: numerous species from Cuba and throughout the Caribbean

Roystonea: not just regia but the rarer ones too

Chamaedorea: any species that can take lowland heat and humidity

Chuniophoenix

Chelycarpus

Pseudophoenix - all species

Serenoa repens: silver form

Thrinax/Leucothrinax/Hemithrinax

Heat tolerant Dypsis

Sabal spss: yapa, mauritiiformis, xbrazoriana etc.

Ptychosperma spss

Arenga spss

Copernicia spss - gigas is faster growing, baileyana, hospita, prunifera, rigida, alba, macroglossa, fallaensis. If you have access to visit Cuba at the right times you may be able to collect wild seed.

Wow!! thank you so much!!

I have just been looking up the all the other varieties posted by everyone else, I'll start on these now! It's a shame we didn't know about each other sooner, I could have come and shown you around the area!! A colleague and I are in the process of building a small amphitheater for live music pon the river in the hills above falmouth. There are several different varieties of palms up there growing wild, multiple orchids as well. Maybe next time!

I would love to head across the pond to Cuba, another reason to do so..  

Thanks again for taking time out to respond, I really appreciate it everyone!

Respect,

Nicky

Nicky:

Jamaica is home to some cool native palms like Roystonea princeps. That's supposed to be a hardy species, which will take the cold, even if you never get it. Once you get a tree that sets seed, the warm- temperate world will be your oyster.

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

54 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Nicky:

Jamaica is home to some cool native palms like Roystonea princeps. That's supposed to be a hardy species, which will take the cold, even if you never get it. Once you get a tree that sets seed, the warm- temperate world will be your oyster.

Hey DoomsDave,

I'm pretty sure I have a few of these in my garden, surrounding the trunks are laden with suckers. I will take some photos later this week maybe you can confirm what they are... 

Thanks a lot!  

If you're trying to be profitable in the near term, identifying some fast-growing palm species that aren't being provided by the local nurseries might be a good idea. I'm sure there is a collector's market for rare palms there, too, but if you're growing something that can't be sold for a decade or more, you could balance your inventory with some species that you can use to recoup some of your investment sooner.

Also, those Royal Palm "suckers" are probably seedlings that sprouted from seeds falling from your tree, since they don't sucker to my knowledge. You're obviously in a great climate for sprouting and growing palms.

• Upvote 2

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

I don't know if this is the case where you are, but there is some demand for native plants here. We even have a local nursery that only sells natives. That could be a useful sales pitch for you if you think people are interested in palms native to Jamaica or even surrounding islands as well. Also municipalities often plant natives along roadways and other public places.

If not, look for palms that are unusual. These will stand out to potential customers who want something different but may not be palm savvy. Licualas for their round leaves, Coryphas for their size, Areca vestiaria for their color, Copernicias for their different forms, etc. And if something is a hot seller in a place like south Florida, there is probably demand for it where you are, too.

• Upvote 1

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

If you are approaching it as being profitable then you can make a lot more on selling 25 common palms for a $15 profit each than or two rare, hard to grow palm for an $80 profit. I agree with looking more into the natives as well. If you are like most of the rest of us and do it for fun then I'd just plant a mix of what I wanted and not worry about maximizing profits. In your area you can potentially grow everything.

• Upvote 2

In the long run, a really nice website for your nursery is a good investment, especially important to list all your species and your location. You want to make sure that when people type into google something like "Buy Red Latania in Jamaica" your site comes up.

• Upvote 3

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2015‎ ‎6‎:‎35‎:‎04‎, Pal Meir said:

Geonoma schottiana: "Ornamental: It is a small palm tree, very elegant, not branches, ideal for gardens." (Palmpedia)

THIS. You can't find this particular species anywhere. Fairly cold hardy as well.

On 12/14/2015, 1:53:36, redbeard917 said:

If you're trying to be profitable in the near term, identifying some fast-growing palm species that aren't being provided by the local nurseries might be a good idea. I'm sure there is a collector's market for rare palms there, too, but if you're growing something that can't be sold for a decade or more, you could balance your inventory with some species that you can use to recoup some of your investment sooner.

Also, those Royal Palm "suckers" are probably seedlings that sprouted from seeds falling from your tree, since they don't sucker to my knowledge. You're obviously in a great climate for sprouting and growing palms.

Thanks for this Redbeard! you are absolutely right they are seedlings.. great tips, I really appreciate them. I was able to collect a few triangle palm seeds today, both orange with skin already removed (older i suppose) I will post a few pictures shortly. Thanks again! 

a few photos of the royal palm seedlings as Redbeard has pointed out..

Some triangle palm seeds (I think) I collected earlier..image2.thumb.JPG.b619ba7a5a64e4ce19a54c6

image3.JPG

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2015‎ ‎3‎:‎26‎:‎03‎, Jeff Searle said:

Like Moose suggested, try some different species that other don't grow. I have a little experience with that train of thought. There's many to consider,

Licuala grandis

Veitchia spp.

Thrinax radiata

Kentiopsis oliviormis

Livistona spp.

Neoveitcia storckii

Dypsis ( many species ).....cabadae, carsmithii, etc.

Copernicia spp.

Cccothrinax spp.

I am not certain that only palms will work. Every palm seller I know of also sells other tropical......Jeff even you sell a couple of oddballs, don't you? :)

• Upvote 1

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

3 hours ago, John Case said:

I am not certain that only palms will work. Every palm seller I know of also sells other tropical......Jeff even you sell a couple of oddballs, don't you? :)

.Of course he does. Lots of landscape type material for who else, the landscapers. If crotons are oddballs, he sells a few of them too.

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

You have been given some good species already. I didn't see Chamberonias though. Beautiful red new leaves, that grow fast, and get good sized fast. I think I saw Areca vestiera. They have an orange form and what I like, the red form.

So are you really trying to start a nursery with $200, or is that what you are starting out with? It can cost 1000s of $s just to put out an acre of containerized plants between the containers, soil, and fertilizer alone. I have had a palm and cycad nursery for 30 years, and have a finance degree. I have a few suggestions where you can truly start with $200, but if all you are wanting to know about are some unusual palms, then I won't bother you with suggestions. Tom

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2015, 8:09:07, cycadjungle said:

You have been given some good species already. I didn't see Chamberonias though. Beautiful red new leaves, that grow fast, and get good sized fast. I think I saw Areca vestiera. They have an orange form and what I like, the red form.

So are you really trying to start a nursery with $200, or is that what you are starting out with? It can cost 1000s of $s just to put out an acre of containerized plants between the containers, soil, and fertilizer alone. I have had a palm and cycad nursery for 30 years, and have a finance degree. I have a few suggestions where you can truly start with $200, but if all you are wanting to know about are some unusual palms, then I won't bother you with suggestions. Tom

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the types of palms..I'd love some suggestions on how to keep costs down... I have only spent $7 USD so far.. :D I'll post some pictures tomorrow evening.. Looking forward to any tips.

Many thanks,

Nick

• 1 month later...

A few photos and a quick update..

I have now spent $60 USD..

I am applying for a seed import permit as the last set of seeds was confiscated by Jamaican customs. In the mean time I have a friend in the US who will accept any packages. 

I wanted to use this post to also pose a few questions.

I have seen bunches of palms growing closely together and have been told by the local nursery that bunches of trees fetch much more than individuals. What I want to know is, is it wise to grow them from a very juvenile stage together? 

Is there any issue germinating seed of different variety in the same containers?

Would any one like any seeds? I have got 3 different types almost dried and stripped of fruit. Cabbage Palms, Solitaire Palms and Phoenix Roebeleniis.. 

Drying Foxtail Palm Seeds.JPG

First Few 55 Gallon Drums & Luna.JPG

Foxtail Palm Seeds.JPG

Freshly Harvested Foxtail Palm Seeds.JPG

200 Foxtail Palm Seeds In Drums.JPG

Cabbage Palm And Phoenix Roebelenii Palm Juviniles.JPG

Solitaire Palm Seeds.JPG

Solitaire Palm With Ripe Seeds.JPG

Phoenix Roebelenii Palm Seeds.JPG

Edited by NickyB
typo

I would never mix different species in one container. If you plan to sell them later, you need to be sure what you have - no guesses. You don't want customers deciding you are 1) ignorant or, worse, 2) dishonest if you sell them something that isn't what you say it is. So far you don't sound like a palm ID expert (neither am I & I've been at this since 2008).

I see a lot of very shallow germination containers. Palms, esp. palmate palms, need deeper pots, at least 6" because they put down long radicles. Do you plan to move each seed as it germinates or leave all in place for the long term? I recommend against the latter. Do those shallow tubs drain off excess water well? If not, your seedlings may rot. So figure on obtaining deeper containers. One- to two-liter plastic water/soda containers work if you are on tight budget. Slice off the narrow tops and cut holes in the bottoms for drainage.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Florida

5 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I would never mix different species in one container. If you plan to sell them later, you need to be sure what you have - no guesses. You don't want customers deciding you are 1) ignorant or, worse, 2) dishonest if you sell them something that isn't what you say it is. So far you don't sound like a palm ID expert (neither am I & I've been at this since 2008).

I see a lot of very shallow germination containers. Palms, esp. palmate palms, need deeper pots, at least 6" because they put down long radicles. Do you plan to move each seed as it germinates or leave all in place for the long term? I recommend against the latter. Do those shallow tubs drain off excess water well? If not, your seedlings may rot. So figure on obtaining deeper containers. One- to two-liter plastic water/soda containers work if you are on tight budget. Slice off the narrow tops and cut holes in the bottoms for drainage.

x2 on mixing.

What you can do to remedy the shallow containers is fill the bottom of your community pots with natural soil and use the good mix around your seeds up closer at the top. I do this for two reasons, 1)save money when germinating many species  2) if you use a heavier soil on the bottom (straight sand than perlite/peat moss), it'll slow down the "bottoming out" type radicles and assist in easier transplanting.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys, I plan to move all seedlings into individual pots once they are of a decent size.

Here's a couple pictures taken yesterday. 

image1.JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

image2.JPG

• Upvote 2

On 12/13/2015, 6:35:04, Pal Meir said:

Geonoma schottiana: "Ornamental: It is a small palm tree, very elegant, not branches, ideal for gardens." (Palmpedia)

Interesting suggestion. I've never heard of this one, but it looks nice from what I've seen. I'd get one if they were sold here. :greenthumb:

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

• 4 months later...

Wow, 1,000s of palm seedlings. Lot of work ahead for you.

Meg

Florida

Yeah plenty of work for the next two days. @PalmatierMeg

Nice set up! @TexasColdHardyPalms

Any one have any comments on the following list of palms?

Pseudophoenix ekmanii
Cyrtostachys renda
Chambeyronia macrocarpa
Pelagodoxa henryana
Johannesteismania altifrons
Latania Lontaroides
Latania Verschaffeltii
Latania Loddigesii 
Licuala ramsayi
Licuala grandis

I'm planning to import the seeds above in the next few weeks. Any good sources out there? I am buying them from rarepalmseeds.com, does have any history with this supplier?

Thanks everyone!

Edited by NickyB
adding more text
  • Upvote 1

RE RPS, you have a better chance at germination if you buy seeds that are listed as "New" on the price list. That means you have to check each new list when it comes out.

I've not had much success germinating Cyrtostachys seeds: just one out of 100s. It died off as a tiny seedling. Be aware that P. ekmanii is one of the slowest growing palms on this planet. I tried 10 seeds in 2008, had zero success. You will wait years to get one to 1g size. Chambeyronia germinated easily for me. The others I have no experience with

• Upvote 2

Meg

Florida

Hello Nicky...well this is where it all starts and dreams are made.  Good Luck.

You are far enough from the ocean that the salt air shouldn´t bother you, you´re lucky.  You need to sell the common stuff because that will bring in the money for a public that are not that aware of palms in the first place, little by little you will educate your area and fill Jamaica with rare palms!  One palm that works incredibly well for me is Carpentaria acuminata, they´re fast, pretty, love full sun and inexpensive.

Peter

• Upvote 1

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

On September 6, 2016 at 2:34:15 AM, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Looking good.  Keep it up!  Here are 8000 Washingtonia filifera.

20160904_155110.jpg

Joseph, how do you water this setup? I see mister poles. At which stage does overhead water getting into the crown become a problem? What type of water are you using?

thanks, 

jt

• Upvote 1

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

The only time i have filifera dampen off is in the 1g-3g size when overhead watered in the winter.  Very few die in the summer.  I have to keep that size of filifera on the dry side in the winter.  

• 6 months later...