IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society

SCUBAKeith

Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society's 18th Annual Spring Plant Sale:

Saturday April 14th and Sunday April 15th

9am- 4pm

Caloosa Park, Boynton Beach, FL

SCUBAKeith

Ahhhh! Been waiting for this sale.  :)

This is my load up the truck sale and got everything lined up for buying on Sat. and planting on Sun.

Counting down the days.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

I'm driving down!

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I'm driving up!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I should be there around 10:00 am on the 14th. This is a great sale, many venders and plenty of palms to choose from.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

From the look of things this afternoon while setting up, this may be one of our largest sales to date.  Some new vendors and many returning regulars and the perfect weather predicted are going to make this a great event!

Mike Harris

Caribbean Palms Nursery

Loxahatchee, Florida USA

Just got back from the sale today. Beautiful sunny day with a few clouds, 85F, and nice breeze off the ocean. Perfect sale weather.  Picked up seven treasures.

Pelagodoxa henryana

Dypsis onilahensis

Licuala ramsayi

Pritchardia thrustonii

Euterpe Oleracea

Dypsis Saintelucei

Livistona decipiens

Here are some pics from the sale. Vendors.

Vendorsonrightside.jpg

Vendorsonleftside.jpg

Mike Harris and his section. Hope you don't mind me posting this Mike. As always, you had great looking stuff. Bought one of your Livistona decipiens. Mike is the guy in the hat near the unbrella.

MikeHarrissection.jpg

Holding area.

Holdingarea.jpg

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

Some more pics.

Paying for treasures found.

Payingfortreasures.jpg

Loading up trucks.

LoadingupTrucks.jpg

If you haven't gone, don't miss this. Is a great sale with loads of palm species.

Almost forgot to mention, but ran into Palm Beach county commissioner Jeff Koons, while there. He was in line in front of me, paying for a couple bags of palm fertilizer. You know its a fantastic sale when even county commissioners are coming by. Great to know he is a palm enthusiast as well.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

To all,

Ryan (Palmarum) and myself came up for the day ourselves. It was really nice to see so many vendors that we know, and run into customers that we often see at so many of the sales. I have to agree with Mike Harris, there was a great selection of palms and cycads to be bought. I actually bought 5 palms myself. And thats hard to do! Ryan took some good photos, and will be posting them shortly.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Was a great sale. I bought a total of 14 palms, all deferent.

A couple that I can think of off the top of my head

Welfia regia

Dypsis madagascariensis

Pinanga speciosa

Pritchardia pacifica

Licuala grandis

Calyptrocalyx hollrungii

Ptychosperma salomonense

Siphokentia beguinii

Arenga engleri

Dypsis decaryi

Beccariophoenix no windows

Hey zone10, I'm in your last two pictures by the cashiers, white t-shirt green shorts, 2nd to last picture going to retrieve my last palm, last picture talking it home.

Jupiter FL

(redant @ Apr. 16 2007,10:20)

Was a great sale. I bought a total of 14 palms, all deferent.

A couple that I can think of off the top of my head

Welfia regia

Dypsis madagascariensis

Pinanga speciosa

Pritchardia pacifica

Licuala grandis

Calyptrocalyx hollrungii

Ptychosperma salomonense

Siphokentia beguinii

Arenga engleri

Dypsis decaryi

Beccariophoenix no windows

Hey zone10, I'm in your last two pictures by the cashiers, white t-shirt green shorts, 2nd to last picture going to retrieve my last palm, last picture talking it home.

Redant,

Looks like you scored on a great bunch of palms. Was that your truck loaded up in the one pic? I remember looking at that thinking someone was having a great day. :)

Guess we'll all have to wear name tags at these events, so we know who is who from the forum.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

That is not  my truck pictured, mine is a couple back from there but equally as full  :) .

Jupiter FL

I blew it, I really wanted to go and got too wrapped up playing on the boat all weekend!  Flipside of it was I got to eat fresh wahoo for supper Satuday night!  How did the event fair in light of the foul weather on Sunday?

The weather never really got bad, and it didn't even start raining until after 2:30pm. Unfortunately the threat was enough to keep the people away. I think I sold 2 plants all day on Sunday.

I should have packed up Saturday and gone home. That would have saved myself a lot of time and about $82 in gas. I did have a nice visit with many vendors I only see at that sale so it was all good.

Bill Olson

There early sat mornin..got,

Pinanga Elmeri x2

Hydriastele Wendelliana

Cocothrinax Gracilis x2

Cocothrinax Montana...to go with the other 2 in ground

Hyphorbe Indica...replacement

My buddy found a great deal on a very large Corypha Utan form Dale Holton...its bigger than the 3 i already have...a bit jealous

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Dale Holton is a great guy to talk to, also prices his palms very reasonably. I bought my Dypsis madagascariensis from Dale, should have bought the other one he had as well. Dale and Jack (Folsom palms) always get the majority of my cash

Jupiter FL

I am back from that strange trip, and I went through my photos of the Palm Beach Spring Sale and found a batch to post. When Jeff and I arrived it was very busy and I could not get my camera out fast enough. It was great as always to see everyone again, vendors and collectors alike. I looked high and low to see if I can notice any Forum members, but when your wondering around it is hard to see them. Sorry to have missed you Roger and Doug, I knew you both were going to be there. We probably walked right past each other.

- Pine trees as far as the eye can see, we must be in Palm Beach. It is 10:22 AM, and the sale is quite busy. We had just arrived and made our way through the entrance. There was that sense of urgency among some people, as you could tell they were in a hurry to beat others to certain booths. Vendor #46 Betty Ahlborn [red] can be seen in the center near the aisle.

2007-04-14_10-22-48.jpg

- Long time collector extraordinaire Bob Beatty makes one of many runs to the holding area. I forget which palm it was, but it was on its way to a good home.

2007-04-14_10-22-50.jpg

- The first booth to my left belonged to #67 Dale Holton. Everyone has to go through Dale's booth at least once. On one table was this rare Ceratozamia whitelockii, the first one I had seen.

2007-04-14_10-25-04.jpg

- An overlook of the sale through a few vendors' booths. There were tons of well grown plants for sale.

2007-04-14_10-26-56.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Ryan,

Sorry I missed you as well. Would have liked to have met you. I was so focused on the palms and trying to see if what I was looking for was there, I hardly noticed anything else around me.  :D  Pathetic, I know, but oh well. I'm addicted. I'll make it a point at the next event to look you guys up.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Roger,

No apologies needed, when I am at a sale I am the same way. I have been addicted to palms so long it has become second nature. I have often been shoulder to shoulder with someone before I even knew they were there.

...continuing...

- So easily indistinguishable from other species, Copernicia cowellii looks so unique in even a three gallon pot. This one, along with a few others, graced the front of Dale Holton's booth.

2007-04-14_10-33-24.jpg

- One of the largest specimens of Stangeria eriopus that I have seen for sale in a long time, and it was one of many great cycads on Dale's tables. It had a excellent price on it, I wonder if anyone nabbed it. The caudex is shown here with the label for scale.

2007-04-14_10-35-56.jpg

- Again, the same cycad showing the leaf that goes with the caudex.

2007-04-14_10-36-10.jpg

- "It's mine now." Seeing an incredible deal, Jeff Searle springs into action grabbing this Gaussia gomez-pompae.

2007-04-14_10-36-56.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- During a brief break, Jeff and I met up with Charlotte Schaff and Larry Aronson. We were looking for Ron Schaff to say hello, but he was out getting lunch. While we were talking Andrea had called, and Jeff handed the phone to Charlotte to say hello.

2007-04-14_10-42-32.jpg

- A variegated Lady Palm, Rhapis excelsa in the middle of Ron Schaff's booth. It had nice color, and the exact cultivar was not known. The Pritchardia hillebrandii mentioned in the sign is actually just behind it.

2007-04-14_10-45-08.jpg

- I was in awe when I came into the booth belonging to vendor #40, D'Asign Source Botanicals. One plant responsible for this reaction was this very well grown Ravenea hildebrandtii. It was in a large pot and is mature, flowering very profusely.

2007-04-14_10-50-34.jpg

- Another photo of the Ravenea hildebrandtii featuring a close-up of the leaf bases, and a short trunk.

2007-04-14_10-53-46.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Ryan, the Gaussia gomez-pompae came from Dale didn't it?

I saw that guy and was tempted but I had spent past my allotted amount already. It was a very cool looking palm, a bowling ball with fronds.

I don't  think you all where there when I was, I would have remembered seeing a hat the color of Jeff's.

Jupiter FL

Hey Doug,

Yeah that palm did come from Dale's booth, along with a few others we got. There was another even greater deal I saw in Dale's booth, a fairly large Pseudophoenix lediniana. I wonder if anyone got that one as well. That hat Jeff wore was from the 2006 DR Biennial, and saying it was bright is an understatement. We were there from 10:20 AM to about 2:00 PM, walking around in circles. When your reading labels and looking through plants from booth to booth, its hard to notice people unless you get close. Everyone shall see each other at the next event, where ever it may be.

Ryan

South Florida

- Moving through the booth belonging to D'Asign Source Botanicals I noticed this other mature palm, Roscheria melanochaetes doing well in a large pot.

2007-04-14_10-55-36.jpg

- A closer view showing the newly formed inflorescence, and its bright red calyx bases of the Roscheria melanochaetes.

2007-04-14_10-55-48.jpg

- At the front of the booth was this beefy Encephalartos ferox. It was larger than it looks in the photo, I free handed the camera over the middle and shot downward.

2007-04-14_10-58-14.jpg

- Same plant as above, shot from the side. It was ready to go into someone's yard.

2007-04-14_10-58-28.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- Making my way across to the other side of the sale, I crossed through Mike Harris's (#16) booth. I had to stop to admire the Copernicia ekmanii again. I can not get enough of this great palm. I seem to do this every sale.

2007-04-14_11-00-24.jpg

- "Cheers!" Ron Croci salutes as he sees me walk on by. Ron had a very long drive to get to the sale. Here he sits at the front of his booth, getting customers to come on in and take a look around.

2007-04-14_11-04-10.jpg

- New vendors to the sale world, Cathy and Lew Burger man their booth while talking to Jeff and myself. They have been collectors and enthusiasts for many, many years and decided to take a stab at thinning out their surplus palms. It was ironic to see the situation flipped, as they are usually the customers and Jeff and I are usually the vendors.

2007-04-14_11-07-34.jpg

- Legendary vendor Betty Ahlborn (#46) takes a short rest, while friend and Forum member Kitty Philips (palmmermaid) stands behind her mystery dwarf Rhapis cultivar. We spent some time in their booth trying to figure out what that Rhapis might be. I think we decided that they keep it, grow it on, and name it something. It was very different, and unusual. Also unavoidable in the photo is a Double Coconut, Lodoicea maldivica seed on the table. It was just for show and not for sale. Betty had found this seed on one of her trips through a local flea market. She spotted it from a good distance away. The vendor had no idea what it was, just that it was very old, (hence not viable, but still valuable). She nonchalantly asked how much, and got the seed for just two dollars...  ($2.00!) And people wonder why I go to flea markets.

2007-04-14_12-09-50.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- A gathering of the minds. The search to figure out what that Rhapis might be continues to baffle many. Volunteer (#46) Juan Illa on the left looks over the booth while vendor and Forum member Kitty Philips (palmmermaid) discusses her research with Jeff Searle and vendor #4 & Forum member Bill Olsen (Bill Olsen).  

2007-04-14_12-26-00.jpg

- A detailed closer look of the Double Coconut, Lodoicea maldivica seed was inevitable. It was in perfect shape and would look great on a mantle, in a cabinet, or really anywhere in a palm fanatics collection. I can not think of anyone who would not want one.

2007-04-14_12-35-28.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Time had come to begin the ride back south for Jeff and myself, so I took some last minute photos before we paid for our palm sale spoils and headed back. We had spent more time at the sale than I thought we did. Time does fly when your talking palms. It was great to visit the Palm Beach sale again, for me it was almost nostalgic since some of the earliest palm sales I attended were among the pine trees of Palm Beach. It is a pleasure as always to see everyone, and look forward to seeing them again on the other side of summer, or perhaps at a meeting here and there. The last few photos follow... I had taken a good deal more but some did not come out as I had wanted them to.

- On my way back to grab a one gallon Coccothrinax alexandri from Mike Harris, I noticed this one large Coccothrinax montana with excellent leaf base fiber in his booth. I also like how the leaf segments wrap around in a full 360 degree pattern.

2007-04-14_12-56-14.jpg

- The leaf base fibers are very thick and stiff, and feel very different. They have that "net like" appearance to them.

2007-04-14_12-56-36.jpg

- One parting photo of vendor #67, collector, and Forum member Dale Holton (MAPU 1) as he talks with customers and says hello to their canine companion. I was much younger and smaller the first time I met Dale. I continue to learn a great deal from him each and every time I see him. He has traveled very extensively and seen quite a bit of this planet.

2007-04-14_13-57-34.jpg

Ryan

South Florida