IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubutyagrus

TimHopper

Tim, any updates on last years batch of seeds???? Have they sprouted? Look forward to any updates and/or pics! Thanks

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Tim, any updates on last years batch of seeds???? Have they sprouted? Look forward to any updates and/or pics! Thanks

JV, The Jubutyagrus seeds that I made last year were distributed to several Palmtalk members. Nigel reported good germination from those he received. My Jubutia has not produced any spathes in a while. Hopefully it will produce more soon so that I can cross it again with syagrus, and also Parajubaea. Tim

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

I bought 100 seeds, i think 2 of them hadnt sprouted and the rest had, best seeds i ever sowed, and many doubles amongst them, so 100 seeds gave around 130 seedlings. Unfortunately germinating them was the easy part, i reckon I lost over half to damping off ,if anybody has some tips to avoid that in warm humid client......

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Thanks for the updates.... I guess somehow I missed that fire sale! :)

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Thanks for the updates.... I guess somehow I missed that fire sale! :)

JV, I will probably have more of them later this year if my (JxB)xB will cooperate. Tim

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Germiated March of 2009, my Jubutyagrus finally planted in the ground (should have been done earlier). Soil amended with premium potting mix and lots of slow release nutricote fertilizer. Fall photos to follow. Tim

004-9.jpg

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Nicely displayed in the front yard..... look forward to updated pics after a summers worth of growth! Jv

• 1 year later...

What are these at the USF Life Sciences Building in Tampa?

Alan

DSC01425.jpg

DSC01436.jpg

Bump.

The palm on the left is gone now. I don't know what happened to it, but it's too bad because it's the nicer looking one of the two.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

• 9 months later...

Reviving the old "War and Peace" thread with my xJubutigarus from Tim Hopper via Mark Heath. Unfortunately some adult fronds were broken during shipping. I planted it about 2 months ago. How are others palms doing?post-97-0-67428500-1418172244_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-45643500-1418172296_thumb.jpg

Sorry...just realized how crappy the night photo was...will get a better daytime picture.

Does anyone know what happened to Tim?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

No picture of mine right now but mine is doing well. Right now its still at the stage it doesn't look all that different from a Butiagrus even though its gotten where it should start trunking within a year or so. Never any problem with spotting.

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Rafael, looks very nice but not super fast....yours looks like it is ready to take off though. To me they look a bit different than a BxS ...trunk a little fatter?

Here is better picture of mine....sure wish those fronds didn't break.post-97-0-36741100-1418220868_thumb.jpgpost-97-0-60027300-1418220911_thumb.jpg

Oh Yes!....Rafael. ...just enlarged your picture! ....that trunk is a beast! That is going to be a stunner!

Oh Yes!....Rafael. ...just enlarged your picture! ....that trunk is a beast! That is going to be a stunner!

David, thanks :) this one is growing relatively faster, in a tough microclimate, getting frost and minimum temps between 26 and 28F. Besides, it receives salt spray and overwater from March to october. Its life is not easy :) i dont if those climate circunstances explain the fact, but it only remains with 2/3 healthy leaves, while the olders become burned too soon. And yes the trunk is getting thicker, i think this is something specific in this cross :)

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Malcolm,

The hybridizer in N. Calif. thinks it's very important to remove all the male flowers and then cover the inflorescence with a bag to prevent pollen contamination. Seems the palms have an affinity for their own pollen. That means every single male flower should be removed and that's one of the most tedious steps in hybridizing. I described earlier in this thread how he does it.

Dick

Would you have to remove the male flowers if using a Butiagarus as your receptor palm since mules are self sterile?

What a great old thread.....Dick is still spurring discussion on PT.

Hello,

I'm french and I have problem with tim hopper's jubutiagrus ! there are little black point, this is picture :

post-13366-0-92095500-1431783156_thumb.j

post-13366-0-11454800-1431783180_thumb.j

post-13366-0-64388300-1431783192_thumb.j

post-13366-0-71646800-1431783206_thumb.j

So what is the problem? ..... are you saying it does not appear to be a Jubutiagarus? It doesn't look exactly like a queen either.....although it does have some somewhat plumose fronds....is this what you are refering to?

You know people have had trouble with Tim concerning SxPjs .....everyone was saying it is a regular queen....I hope it is not the same problem.

alot of problems occur from fertilizer imbalances too little Potasium too little magnesium ----- particularly with the hybrids many of them have the yellow or orange spots --- maybe that the problem ---- remember they have hybrid vigor and frequently are heavy feeders

I hope this helps

Best regards

Ed

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

This are two of my Jubutyagrus, Second and third pics are from the palm pictured in post #13. This is now +- 10 years old. Not the fastest palm for me......

post-465-0-55713100-1436744179_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-35115700-1436744263_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-97955500-1436744316_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

• 4 months later...
On 8/20/2011, 9:41:23, Adam from Oz said:

WOW!

Just took me almost two and a half hours to read this entire thread. I laughed, I cried, my jaw dropped a lot..

There is so much amazing material in here - some stunning palms (and a few weird ones) and some good science.

I look forward to the big screen adaptation :mrlooney:

Cheers,

Adam

Me too :D

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 3 weeks later...

With all the interest and threads relating to Dr. Wilcox's hybrids, I thought an update on my JxBxQ  was in order. It is really taking off now at the speed of a regular mule.....hmm....makes me wonder if that original palm at Fairchild was indeed what he originally thought it was. Was it this thread or another where Dr. Wilcox re-assessed his thoughts on what that original palm actually was?

20151218_073347.jpg

20151218_073412.jpg

On 4/12/2007, 9:55:38, merrill said:

Hi, Dick:

There were a total of about three unusual (to say the least) Butiinae hybrids at FTG, but it was difficult for me, at least, to be sure what they were because of their poor condition.  OTOH, the JXB, labelled Jubaea for years, was fine a couple of years ago, and stamen counts and general appearance make it appear as JXB.  Best Wishes, merrill

Been going back through the thread and trying to find pictures of the original JxB from Fairchild that Dr. Wilcox got his (JxB)xB 's from. Wasn't it determined that Tim's cross was ((JxB)xB)xS ? ..... if indeed the original from Fairchild was JxB?

Also, I believe in another thread someone had stated that they had had discussions with Dr. Wilcox and he later was not as sure about the Fairchild palms as being JxB? 

Here's my Jubutyagrus, it's in a pot & was actually only potted up into this one in June & needs re-potting already. Not sure what I'm going to do, either get a larger pot or try & find somewhere to plant it in the ground. Some of the older fronds do get some spotting, I'm guessing due to the hot & humid summers we have (Jubaea wont grow here).. Have put an empty wine bottle next to the stem for scale...

IMG_20151219_1153052.jpgIMG_20151219_1152302.jpgIMG_20151219_1153562.jpg

• Upvote 1

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

Hey Nate....your in Malta? .... very cool place to live I imagine .... that palm is looking like it is about take off .... do you have room in the ground?

59 minutes ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Hey Nate....your in Malta? .... very cool place to live I imagine .... that palm is looking like it is about take off .... do you have room in the ground?

Yes moved here a couple of years ago from the UK, actually brought the Jubutyagrus with me along with a Butyagrus & some other seedlings, though it was considerably smaller then lol... I don't really have room to plant it in the ground, the only place where I could make room is mostly shaded & currently has a large clump of Alocasia macrorrhizos there, though it would grow into the sun, but its feet would always be in the shade...

Malta - USDA Zone 11a

• 2 years later...

Updated photo of my Jubutiagarus

20180315_090208.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

51 minutes ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Wow, that is a lot of growth! Do you fertilize it a lot with that white beach sand for soil?

Edited by Opal92

Not really, in fact need to fertilize soon. It's been a really great grower. I am having to stabilize the base because the wind wants to push it over. I guess the top growth is faster than the roots.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

20180829_085401.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

20180829_085319.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, I have finally decided to leave my new  (Butia Odorata x Jubaea Chilensis) X  Syagrus romanzaffiana  where it is planted now, in deep, deep shade.  It is still new enough that I won't damage it by transplanting it, but I am just hoping that the Syagrus genetics in this palm will allow for speedy shade growth.  (PalmTalkers, please tell me if I am wrong or making a mistake). I want fast growth, so I was considering transplanting my BxJxS to a sunny spot, but I have decided against it for now --- unless someone on PalmTalk convinces me to do otherwise (your advice is welcome, please). Thanks.

Alicehunter2000, yours looks amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Sandy, thanks....as you can see from my pics, this palm is in shade as well. I do believe mules do much, much better in shade than Butia. It is very difficult for me to grow straight Butia in my yard because of the shade.

• 10 months later...

Bump!!!  Any new updates on the Hooper hybrids ? Are the characteristics worth hunting one down, over a normal mule ? 

T J 

Here is my Jubutyagrus growing happily in The Netherlands (full protection during winter).

IMG_20190718_120310-800x600.jpg.6e7a33619f4b0c722d839bf5971a9187.jpgIMG_20190718_120505-600x800.jpg.39e01185e2a83692fab75aa683d710f6.jpg

IMG_20190718_120454-600x800.jpg

Edited by Yort
  • Like 1