Kai

Lytocaryum weddellianum (Syagrus weddelliana) grown up

Kai

Slowly inflo #9 reveals itself...

20181214_204101.thumb.jpg.bea12040c00f13

• Upvote 2

Pal Meir

And how many seeds did your Lyto produce until now?

Kai

I believe it went as follows:

Inflo #2 produced 13 seeds

Inflo #3 produced 7 seeds

Inflos # 4, 5 and 6 produced no seeds at hybrid attemps

Inflo #7 produced 13 seeds

Inflo #8 produced 8 seeds

Kai

In full bloom...

20190126_151755.thumb.jpg.a7a19d8e70b7c15fcfcb199e4ef29453.jpg

And collecting the pollen for when the female flowers open:

20190126_151817.thumb.jpg.dfba18f49649a1ef5db8596f2b47ab49.jpg

Kai

Female flowers have opened and I started pollinating them again. Wish me goodluck...again...

20190210_100406.thumb.jpg.2739ceeb326e61b28d4dbb74fda6080d.jpg

• Upvote 1

Palmensammler

Hello Kai,

many luck for your pollination. If you finally have some seeds left, I would purchase a few and try to grow one or two.

Eckhard

Kai
4 hours ago, Palmensammler said:

Hello Kai,

many luck for your pollination. If you finally have some seeds left, I would purchase a few and try to grow one or two.

Eckhard

Hey Eckhard, if this pollination leeds to viable seeds, I'm sure we can work something out.

Palmensammler

Kai,

I would like to have 20 fingers to be crossed for your success.

Eckhard

Kai

20 fruits still on. Looks like we're in business again!:yay:

20190311_121814.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

LoamWolf

I have a nice indoor L. Wedd flowering right now. After going through this great thread, I want to give it a go trying to pollinate the flowers. 

I do have one question. Are you removing the male male flowers as soon as they fully open, or are you waiting or the male flowers to fall naturally then collect?

Kai
5 hours ago, LoamWolf said:

I have a nice indoor L. Wedd flowering right now. After going through this great thread, I want to give it a go trying to pollinate the flowers. 

I do have one question. Are you removing the male male flowers as soon as they fully open, or are you waiting or the male flowers to fall naturally then collect?

I let them fall off naturally into the collecting bag. The dried fallen off male flowers still contain pollen and this keeps falling out. I just go through the bag with pollen and male flowers with the pencil when pollinating.

Good luck!

LoamWolf

Thanks for the feedback Kai!

Do you think that removing the male flowers form the inflorescence after they have fully opened and placing in a vented container would work as well? 

Kai
2 minutes ago, LoamWolf said:

Thanks for the feedback Kai!

Do you think that removing the male flowers form the inflorescence after they have fully opened and placing in a vented container would work as well? 

Yeah sure. I don't see why not but I also don't see the point in doing so.

LoamWolf
3 minutes ago, Kai said:

Yeah sure. I don't see why not but I also don't see the point in doing so.

I just didn't want to risk condensation inside the bag, which I realize is very unlikely, but figured id ask the question about removing the flowers. 

Kai
6 minutes ago, LoamWolf said:

I just didn't want to risk condensation inside the bag, which I realize is very unlikely, but figured id ask the question about removing the flowers. 

That's a good point. To prevent condensation and fungus, I swap bags every other day. This way I have one bag on the the palm and one bag open and drying the flowers and pollen.