IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lytocaryum weddellianum (Syagrus weddelliana) grown up

Kai

It's that time again. The female flowers of my Lyto's 3rd inflorescense are slowly becoming receptive.

tmp_20371-20170114_2348562062767432.thum

This time I collected all the male flowers that fell off and probably got some pollen to work with...

tmp_20371-20170114_2351552074052768.thum

This evening I got the powder from the male flowers onto  cotton stick and started touching the opened female flowers with. Tomorrow and the day after I will repeat the process.

Meanwhile the plants 2nd inflorescense is still healthy looking and the seeds are still growing.

tmp_20371-20170114_234739-1563583325.thu

tmp_20371-20170114_2346291956077738.thum

• Upvote 5

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Amazing! You're becoming a master of pollination :greenthumb:

08053.gif

5 hours ago, Sanips said:

Amazing! You're becoming a master of pollination :greenthumb:

I hope so Sanips. I,m confident my Lyto will keep producing inflorescenses and if this is succesfull, I want to try pollen from other species. But I find this pollen very hard to come by...

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

I think the picture below can be explained as the palms' 4th inflorescens.

tmp_12026-20170126_154715-233016252.thum

I'm very happy with the continuous thriving of my favorite palm!

So, to cut things short:

First inflorescense prematurely dried and shriveled up.

Second inflorescense grew out into a nice flower, was pollinated by hand and holds currently 16 immature seeds.

Third inflorescense was pollinated by hand as well. But it is still a bit too soon to state that pollination was succesful.

Fourth inflorescense is on the way...

Now that's a rewarding indoor palm!

• Upvote 3

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Kai said:

I bet you were all wondering on how my indoor Lyto seeds were coming about... Well, here they are!

tmp_31020-20170209_0027561855822455.thum

They are really putting on some weight and I wonder if the bract they're on will hold. It's pretty thin...

wow, they're getting fat very fast! I'm sure the bract will bear with that weight without any problems, the palm is impeccably healthy :greenthumb:

08053.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Yes they are now fatter than my fingers.

The 3rd inflorescence is also fattening up a little...

tmp_31714-20170307_085131934657291.thumb

With only 11 flowers that took the pollen, just a little less productive than the 2nd inflorescence. But that doesn't take away the magic!

• Upvote 2

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Hi 

This is my flowering Syagrus weddelliana. I'm very proud. Unfortunately, I do not know their age, but I bought them in 2013 and it was 30cm. 

Syagrus weddelianum20170222_173644.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Pippo said:

Hi 

This is my flowering Syagrus weddelliana. I'm very proud. Unfortunately, I do not know their age, but I bought them in 2013 and it was 30cm. 

Syagrus weddelianum20170222_173644.jpg

Looking good! Another flowering houselyto. That's awesome!

Are you going to pollinate it to get a fruiting houselyto?

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 3 weeks later...

I just discovered the palms' 5th inflorescense spike. It has been there for a while by the looks of it. I must have missed it while I was still in awe on the growth of the 13 seeds on the 2nd flower bract.

I wonder when I'll lose count...

tmp_5152-20170325_104135910077098.thumb.

• Upvote 2

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

I guess the fruits will split on Easter and reveal fresh Easter eggs with coconut flavour. :drool:

That would be perfect timing! But lets hope the easter bunny doesn't start munching on the coconuts or I will turn him into a thanksgiving meal.

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Those fruits are fitting the Rubens' taste. Fat fruits.

08053.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats! I thought It would crack after turning totally orange

08053.gif

1 hour ago, Sanips said:

Congrats! I thought It would crack after turning totally orange

Thanks! I have been guessing at this question as well. Pictures on the internet show both orange cracked fruits and green cracked fruits. I'm not sure if this means something. I think the process of turning orange might have something to do with the seeds being cut off their food source in the way it happens with autumn leaves. That could mean that while further splitting the fruits will also get more orangy. Just in time for our royal "van Oranje" Kings day, when all the streets turn orange.

Oh well, soon we'll know if the seeds germinate. Freshness of the seeds won't be an issue, that's for sure!

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Last night I decided it was time for this first "cracker" to get out and explore the world.

tmp_23302-20170425_083706-1449764912.thu

So I carefully took it out of the fruit. The fiber tissue was very soft and the seed came out very easy. I guess it really was time!

tmp_23302-20170425_083729405314982.thumb

I also noticed more fruits that started to crack. Maybe tonight I will harvest those as well.

tmp_23302-20170425_083755-737982176.thum

More to come...

At least seed #1 is very comfortable in my propagator. I hope it will germinate!

• Upvote 4

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

I haven't smelled or tasted it ;) But I guess it's nothing out of the ordinairy. When in bloom though I could smell the scent of sweet nectar in my living room. That was realy nice and I understand how bees get attracted to that.

Soon two more flowerspikes will open and detailed reports on their pollination will follow again. I'm going to try something different this time...

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

I got a little scared that I might have harvested the first 7 seeds a bit too early. Especially now the remaining 6 fruits that are still on the plant are turning beautifully orange!

But... one look into my propagator this afternoon made me produce a sound of joy.

tmp_18964-20170504_1749161296755746.thum

3 seeds have germinated. The cycle of life (of this Lytocaryum) has been completed! But far from finished! I will make sure it continues!

• Upvote 5

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

19 minutes ago, Kai said:

I got a little scared that I might have harvested the first 7 seeds a bit too early. Especially now the remaining 6 fruits that are still on the plant are turning beautifully orange!

But... one look into my propagator this afternoon made me produce a sound of joy.

tmp_18964-20170504_1749161296755746.thum

3 seeds have germinated. The cycle of life (of this Lytocaryum) has been completed! But far from finished! I will make sure it continues!

Happy Germination Day! :greenthumb::)

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums