IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lytocaryum weddellianum (Syagrus weddelliana) grown up

Kai

31 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Kai for the nice update :) 

Kai, Pal: Do you think having triple Lytocaryum? have you ever tried or seen any ? as I am having quite  a few seeds , I was thinking experimenting triple seeds in one pot ?

I too prefer singles, but as I had too many seedlings I planted them also as doubles and triples, but I think doubles may be still acceptable, triples are not so good (cf. also the commercial triple photo above in this thread).

1st photo: double; 2nd photo: triple

56814464d428b_LytoweddDoubleP1010162.thu

5681446e4743a_Syagrusweddelliana2014-09-

• Upvote 2

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 31.1.2016, 18:59:43, Kai said:

Not yet Pal, it's still in flower. I'll try to make a picture soon and upload it. If fruits are formed, I think it will take quite a few months for them to swell up and ripen.

Hmm, I can’t see the picture … :huh:

In case of L. insigne it takes 2 to 4 months from flower to ripe seeds … :yay:

9 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Hmm, I can’t see the picture … :huh:

In case of L. insigne it takes 2 to 4 months from flower to ripe seeds … :yay:

Hi Pal, the flower dried up prematurely. I'm now preparing to repot it and give it everything it needs to get its next flower to fully form fruits.

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

1 hour ago, Kai said:

Hi Pal, the flower dried up prematurely. I'm now preparing to repot it and give it everything it needs to get its next flower to fully form fruits.

Oh, that’s bad news. :( I don’t think that you need to repot it, but I guess a little more light and weekly showers (or so) could make the palm happier … :unsure:

• 2 months later...

Time for an update on my 2006 L. weddellianum. I have noticed a 2nd and 3rd flower stalk in the making... I'm very excited and hope for full flower development this time and who knows...seeds!

20160814_171909.thumb.jpg.900192f6f1f20b

On the right you can see the 2nd flower stalk coming up. On the left a very small new spike is becoming visible.

I love this palm!

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 2 months later...
On 14.8.2016, 21:22:53, Kai said:

Time for an update on my 2006 L. weddellianum. I have noticed a 2nd and 3rd flower stalk in the making... I'm very excited and hope for full flower development this time and who knows...seeds!

On the right you can see the 2nd flower stalk coming up. On the left a very small new spike is becoming visible.

I love this palm!

Still blooming or already fruiting? :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Still blooming or already fruiting? :rolleyes:

On Mon Aug 15 2016 00:52:53 GMT+0530 (Sri Lanka Standard, Kai said:

I love this palm!

updates 

30 minutes ago, Kai said:

So...anybody has some Butia (preferably eriospatha) pollen for me? Time for some indoor experimenting....

Wait a little bit longer and I can present you some L itapebiense pollen for a L weddell x itapebi hybrid! :D

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Wait a little bit longer and I can present you some L itapebiense pollen for a L weddell x itapebi hybrid! :D

That would really be something Pal! But it's kind of hard to tell my Lyto to not flower yet. But we'll get our chance, I expect my Lyto to continue to produce flowerstalks...

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 2 weeks later...

So here's another update of my indoor Lytocaryum flower. It looks like male flowers keep opening and when they've had enough after a couple of days fall off. Every day a couple of male flowers are opened.

All this while the female flowers still appear to be closed.

tmp_5737-20161107_211001-98776293.thumb.

And a close-up...

tmp_5737-20161107_2108531670578440.thumb

Maybe somebody can point out the male and female flowers? @Pal Meir

• Upvote 2

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

7 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Kai, if you look at this infructescence (pic taken by @Mohsen ) you can imagine which flowers are female:

5820fe7e84852_LytoweddIMG_4084-Infructes

PS: Did you save some pollen from the male flowers? Very nice inflorescence!

That is exactly how I see the inflorescence. Closest to the main bract arethe female flowers and further out the males. I counted about 45 female flowers...

I'm not sure how to collect pollen. I did catch a lot of fallen male flowers in a bag that I placed around the infloresce for about a week. My guess is that there is some pollen in the bag, but its hard to spot.

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 3 weeks later...

tmp_9059-20161127_1253391630079345.thumb

It looks like today the female flowers have opened. Exactly at the same moment that the last male flower fell off the  inflorescens bract. I did collect some male flowers and dried them in a plastic baggie one or two weeks ago. There was no visible pollen in the plastic bag, but as I brushed a cotton stick against the insides of the bag it became yellow. So some kind of substance was present there... I took the cotton stick and patted all open female flowers with it. Pray with me to the palmgods guys!

• Upvote 3

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

2 hours ago, Kai said:

It looks like today the female flowers have opened. Exactly at the same moment that the last male flower fell off the  inflorescens bract. I did collect some male flowers and dried them in a plastic baggie one or two weeks ago. There was no visible pollen in the plastic bag, but as I brushed a cotton stick against the insides of the bag it became yellow. So some kind of substance was present there... I took the cotton stick and patted all open female flowers with it. Pray with me to the palmgods guys!

»It looks like today the female flowers have opened. Exactly at the same moment that the last male flower fell off the inflorescence bract.« That is an interesting observation! :greenthumb:

»Pray with me to the palmgods guys!« Who is the god/goddess of palms? Demeter? But also for Brazil? I have already lit a candle … :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

This is mine, the pictures are 12 months apart..not sure what I am going to do when it gets much bigger as it loves it in this spot!

IMG_4797[1].jpg

IMG_6148[1].jpg

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, benko said:

This is mine, the pictures are 12 months apart..not sure what I am going to do when it gets much bigger as it loves it in this spot!

Welcome, but you are in the wrong thread; this would be the correct one for your Lyto:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/50020-lytocaryum-weddellianum-in-pots/

Some good and some news today...

The bad news first. The little "fruits" or whatever I should call them are one by one aborting and falling to the ground. Apparantly I have not been succesfull with pollinating with the pollen that I collected from the male flowers earlier. I really really really need some fresh cocosoid pollen. Syagrus...Butia... So I'm begging to anyone here on palmtalk to let the Christmas spirit do some work...

And now the good news. The 3rd flower just opened and it looks marvelous again! This inflorescence will open up its female flowers in couple of weeks. This is why I still need some fresh pollen.

tmp_17254-20161212_1347351865413100.thum

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

32 minutes ago, Kai said:

Some good and some news today...

The bad news first. The little "fruits" or whatever I should call them are one by one aborting and falling to the ground. Apparantly I have not been succesfull with pollinating with the pollen that I collected from the male flowers earlier. I really really really need some fresh cocosoid pollen. Syagrus...Butia... So I'm begging to anyone here on palmtalk to let the Christmas spirit do some work...

And now the good news. The 3rd flower just opened and it looks marvelous again! This inflorescence will open up its female flowers in couple of weeks. This is why I still need some fresh pollen.

Kai, try to collect as much pollen as you can get from the next male flowers before they fall down. And then pollinate the female flowers with a small brush (e.g. for watercolour painting). — I don’t think that the Lyto hybrids are a good idea …

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

Kai, try to collect as much pollen as you can get from the next male flowers before they fall down. And then pollinate the female flowers with a small brush (e.g. for watercolour painting). — I don’t think that the Lyto hybrids are a good idea …

I was thinking the same thing. I just hope this time collecting pollen will be a bit more productive. Any tips on pollen collecting anybody?

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

So what I've done:

I remembered that I still had a bag of unused medical grade 2mm glass vials, a large ziplock bag and an old musquito net. So I went to work...

tmp_17254-20161212_232939-1929960631.thu

I started with tying the musquito mesh around the vial...

tmp_17254-20161212_233011408901811.thumb

Next I cut off one corner of the ziplock bag that would fit the vial and taped the vial to the corner. I tried to leave as little folds in the plastic as possible so hopefully most pollen will fall without much obstruction into the vial.

tmp_17254-20161212_233141-686566393.thum

And here is the bag carefully placed around the inflorescence. It is not fully closed so there is some airation. I don't want stuff to get mouldy in there or die off due to lack of fresh air. I expect the inflorescence to hang down a little more in the coming days so the bag will be more "upright".

Let's just see how this goes...

...and anytips and comments are very welcome. I have no idea if I'm doing the right thing...

• Upvote 4

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

I don't know if you have seen this thread before but it's about Tim Hopper explaining with images the whole process of pollinating (in this case is trying to back-cross a mule palm with syagrus pollen). Link: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/4789-jubutyagrus/&do=findComment&comment=84026

Good luck!

08053.gif

1 hour ago, Sanips said:

I don't know if you have seen this thread before but it's about Tim Hopper explaining with images the whole process of pollinating (in this case is trying to back-cross a mule palm with syagrus pollen). Link: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/4789-jubutyagrus/&do=findComment&comment=84026

Good luck!

That thread is amazing! Thanks for bringing it up. It gives me so confidence to continue.

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

11 minutes ago, Kai said:

About 30 potential seeds are still hanging on on the plants' 2nd inflorescence. Could it be I have been succesfull in pollinating them? I really really hope to get to see seeds forming, that would be awesome! Even if it's just a few.

Maybe … In case of my Rhapis cochinchinensis it lasted also a felt eternity till I could see if the flowers would have been pollinated.

On 12/23/2016, 3:25:12, Kai said:

So, allmost a month after my attempt of pollinating, 33 potential "seeds" are still hanging on. Is it realistic to say that pollination has been succesfull?

tmp_20859-20161223_121554376609315.thumb

:o:o

• 3 weeks later...