IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea X Syagrus romanzoffiana (JxS or JxQ)

Tom in Tucson

This entry of 31°F is just to start the new topic. Five gallon under Acacia (high, open and light canopy). First year exposed to cold. No visible damage after one week.

Tom Birt - Casas Adobes, AZ

Hi 81°, Lo 44°

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

• 1 month later...

Now I am sure this hybrid can take lower than 31F. Anyone who owns this hybrid can you please share your lows and experiences after cold winters. especially guys in the southeast :D:D:D.

Thank you in advance 

• 11 months later...

Two nights in a row with a low of 19F.   ~36 hours below freezing.  Had covered with 1.5 oz frost cloth.  

Minimal spotting on leaves.  Was cold long enough to freeze the rocks holding the cloth to the ground.

Overall pretty impressed.

Sadly need to amend the post above.   Been seeing progressively more damage show up as time goes by, this one appears slow to show.  Now 1 week post freeze and have about 50% leaf burn (top halfs of all fronds).  Really hoping this doesn't progress any worse.  Still, given that Mexican fans in the area are completely bronzed, still impressive, just not as hardy I had hoped.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

Two jxs 20f calm night out in the open, zero burn whatsoever. One has a 16" diameter trunk, the other about like a 3l bottle. The bigger one was a 15g last year and took 18f in a 15g pot and only had a touch of funky spear. Zero burn at that time as well. 

• Upvote 2

On 14/12/2017, 04:16:36, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Two jxs 20f calm night out in the open, zero burn whatsoever. One has a 16" diameter trunk, the other about like a 3l bottle. The bigger one was a 15g last year and took 18f in a 15g pot and only had a touch of funky spear. Zero burn at that time as well. 

Nice one!

Any pictures? :rolleyes:

23 hours ago, Kenarr09 said:

Nice one!

Any pictures? :rolleyes:

Pic of small one with last years damage.  Plant is 4' OA

20171218_165031.jpg

20171218_165053.jpg

20171218_165027.jpg

• Upvote 1

Good question, I didn't count.  They put on growth fast once they get their roots established. I fully expect the larger one to put on vertical trunk next year.

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

Brief low of 22F last year, was covered with a sheet....no damage. Grew throughout winter and summer. North Florida Gulf Coast.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 1 year later...

Mine has taken 21oF without skipping a beat (while 6-7 feet tall), so of the very oldest fronds get a bit bronzed but they would be getting removed anyways.  The spear had never pulled and it is now 18 feet tall to the top of the tallest frond, 23 feet wide canopy and a trunk circumference of over 7 feet and almost 3 feet in diameter. I think for sure when these get a good size they are probably hardy into middle to low teens.  Hopefully no-one has to test that.

• Like 1