IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

avatar meanings (some of them QUITE weird) - let's talk about them

Rafael

On 12/6/2015, 8:24:57, DoomsDave said:

the stems aren't black enough

On 12/10/2015, 9:59:04, DoomsDave said:

Here's an old avatar.

Maybe dredge up old ones?

5669bd61f0f62_aa-kudzuavatar.gif.bae16f0

looks like shaggy from scooby doo

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

A long time fan of the Coop.....thought this pic from his 30th? Album (Along Came a Spider) was kinda garden-like with spiders and all

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 1 month later...

come on folks...keep this thread running..

cool stories are always fun to read..

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

On 12/10/2015, 9:00:28, BS Man about Palms said:

Note the tag line above my Avatar Josh.... :rolleyes:

maybe a garage sale first? lol..

Sunset zone 24

18 minutes ago, steve99 said:

No meaning, just interesting!

4rtawy.jpg

Looks like an apache ah-64e attack helicopter fully loaded and hot on your tail...

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

• 4 months later...
On 10 de dezembro de 2015, 16:26:58, Kim said:

Fun stories. :)  This kind of thread helps us get to know a bit more about one another, thanks Rafael!  And I remember your moment with the elephant very well -- what a fun day that was at Nong Nooch.

My avatar is a photo taken by Bo-Göran Lundkvist of the largest of three Lemurophoenix hallueuxii in my garden in Hawaii.  The new frond is red, and there can be many, many days of excited anticipation waiting for the newest towering spear to open.  Because I was in California when this one opened, Bo was kind enough to send me the photo.  These palms are dear to my heart; as most of you have experienced, the joy of successfully nurturing a species that is disappearing in its native habitat cannot be exaggerated. The palm is much taller now; even the two smaller Lemurs are larger than this.

Did you take my avatar's picture Kim?! :)

Mine was my C.metallica in flower, but an old pic of me with my Dypsis lutescens,  which I miss, seems more appropriate to my username.

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I drew mine myself back in my spraypainting days. Yeah, I know...I assure you I've never vandalized other peoples properties!

Anyway, it represents my burning passion for palms. Let's see if I can find a full picture of it. Ah, there it is!post-1050-1200588116_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 4

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

17 hours ago, Kai said:

I drew mine myself back in my spraypainting days. Yeah, I know...I assure you I've never vandalized other peoples properties!

Anyway, it represents my burning passion for palms. Let's see if I can find a full picture of it. Ah, there it is!post-1050-1200588116_thumb.jpg

That's a great graphic Kai. I imagine an airbrush in your hands would really let the creative juices flow.

• 3 weeks later...

I use to be crazy for palm trees, now I am just crazy for all plants especially exotic plants and plants that attract wildlife, birds, insect…etc… 

The picture is of one of my deceased cats. 

Edited by Palm crazy

I am Funkthulhu everywhere I go online, and I am always a Lovecraftian beast, a Creature of the Black Lagoon, a Tiki-god, or just me in a Hawaiian shirt.  

Or, right now, it's the Creature from the Black Lagoon in an Aloha Shirt with a Tiki Drink...

Maybe I should change it up to some formal attire? (Edit: just changed it)

Edited by Funkthulhu

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

My avatar logo is part of a picture of the two huge Washingtonia filifera in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico. An eight-hour drive south of me, and probably the closest place where they can grow that large. My wife and I randomly decided to stay at the hot springs resort where these are located a couple of nights during a road trip through NM. I kept quiet and didn't even mention the "famous" palms until we pulled up to the place. Then we got a good laugh when we got up to our room and the window was right under one of the palm crowns, she knew I was in heaven! I grabbed some seeds from the patio below but they never germinated...

Edited by pin38
  • Upvote 1

Mike in zone 6 Missouruh

• 4 months later...

Mine is CLU from Tron Legacy.  If you watch the movie and know my line of work, you'll know that it fits perfectly ;)

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Mine is the print from the back of one of my shirts. Two of my favorite plant families: palms & aroids. :wub:

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

My avatar has no meaning, just watched Winnie as a kid and think he is a cool dude. B) 

Username is based on Chinese astrology. I'm a Fire (element) Rabbit (animal) so I just modified it slightly to seem a little more sensible. 

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is very straight forward.

this picture was taken at the Palm mods garden.

I'm saluting his perfectly grown dypsis coursii with a cold Kona brew in hand.

what a great day that was!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

• 2 weeks later...

I have admiration for old dead white men who ushered in the enlightenment of the Renaissance like Galileo (avatar), Jefferson and Newton, even though it is a political sin.

Ed in Houston

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Ed in Houston said:

I have admiration for old dead white men who ushered in the enlightenment of the Renaissance like Galileo (avatar), Jefferson and Newton, even though it is a political sin.

Ed in Houston

Thanks for the explanation, I was always wondering who that was. Galileo is cool, but I'd argue Gutenberg is the one most responsible for the Renaissance. 

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Upvote 1

No special meaning behind it.  I was testing out my new camera (new at the time) back in June of 2016 on the state capital grounds in Sacramento, California.  Captured this tall CIDP and thought it would make for a good shot with the starburst.  Taken with a Nikon D750.

DSC_0295-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

On 1/22/2018, 8:46:05, Ed in Houston said:

I have admiration for old dead white men

You inspired me to update my avatar to another old dead white man. LOL

I went with Marcus Aurelius. I recently read his book, Mediations. What a profound book, it is amazing to read something that contains so much wisdom and written by the Emperor of Rome no less. 

• Upvote 2

My avatar is a picture of my wife with her arms around a Jubaea at Huntington Gardens in LA. Canon T5.

On 1/28/2018, 11:40:07, RedRabbit said:

You inspired me to update my avatar to another old dead white man. LOL

I went with Marcus Aurelius. I recently read his book, Mediations. What a profound book, it is amazing to read something that contains so much wisdom and written by the Emperor of Rome no less. 

Interesting. Emperors were often short on wisdom, but long on power. Till they were assassinated.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 1/13/2018, 6:49:28, Palm Tree Jim said:

Foxtail in my garden.......and time to change it.

Don't be hasty!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.