IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubutiagrus in bad shape

8B palms

Hi to everyone, I bought 3 jubutiagrus from Tim Hoppers, mine and one I gave to my old boss are doing great. A friend of mine got the 3rd one. At the end of October it was looking excellent and better than the other 2. However, since then the palm has gone into a rapid decline. All the outer fronds have died turning a crispy brown, see the pictures below. There appeared to be a white powder on the emerging spear. I told my friend to try spraying hydrogen peroxide to see if it would help. The palm had fronds reaching 8 feet high. It has gone from perfect shape to the current condition in 4 weeks.  All the outer fronds are now dead, the center spear is still green and firm, no spear pull. There are no signs of moles or any animal damage. If anyone has any suggestions on how to save this palm all feedback suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looks like a fungal attack. Stop all overhead watering and continue applying peroxide. Remove all dead foliage. Keep crown and remaining spear dry as possible. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Take the stick end of a rake or shovel and push down all around the base out to about 2 ft. .....make sure no air pockets have formed around roots. Sometimes that is the cause of a rapid decline.

You can also stomp around the palm.

Not sure how it was planted, but organic matter can break down forming pockets.....also moles tunneling around.

I got the same palm....growing like a rocket....sometimes I wonder if it is a mule as the original BxJ was somewhat suspect ..... there is a long thread regarding this cross somewhere on PT.

Good luck

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I used to have this happen in the past, each time it was all the roots getting infected.

Dig it out gently and inspect. -I doubt it has any healthy roots left at all. some of the larger ones might be firm still so just cut them off where they go soft

If thats the case cut them back and soak the clean base in blended garlic or fungicide

then pot it up in very coarse sandy mix, lift it every few weeks to see if it has pushed any new roots

It might pull through in a couple of years of tlc..... most of mine did when i treated them this way...

Keep it in a very sheltered spot

Edited by Jamesasb

Almost positive it is fungal.   As said above, cut off the dead, clean and dry the crown, and apply fungicide and/or H2O2

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages