Jump to content
NorCalKing

First real cold of the season!

Recommended Posts

cm05
On January 1, 2016 at 12:57:51 PM, NorCalKing said:

It's nice when they get it wrong on the + side lol

It is lol. I hope they get it wrong again tonight.

On January 2, 2016 at 3:52:03 AM, enigma99 said:

Clouds are nice. Tomorrow I am going to do some Spring cleaning as things are starting to return to normal for the long term. Lows in the 40s not 30s :)

NYC is going to be 17F in a couple days (as it should be). Orlando has low/mid 40s coming during the week of the 10th. Best of all, we're going to get lots of rain. El Nino might be here finally

28/29F is where it should be, 17F is pretty harsh, but luckily this cold isn't here to stay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NorCalKing

Well we are finally back into the low 60's and things are feeling a lot more (Norcal) winter like lol. Let's hope it stays, I've had enough cold for this winter:badday:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben in Norcal

10-day looks very wet.  Hopefully El Nino has finally arrived.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NorCalKing
3 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

10-day looks very wet.  Hopefully El Nino has finally arrived.

Sure does. Hopefully it's accurate. I was surprised it turned sunny and nice today...was expecting a damp day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben in Norcal
Just now, NorCalKing said:

Sure does. Hopefully it's accurate. I was surprised it turned sunny and nice today...was expecting a damp day. 

Yep, dry here too.  More coming in overnight it looks like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enigma99
2 hours ago, cm05 said:

28/29F is where it should be, 17F is pretty harsh, but luckily this cold isn't here to stay. 

NYC is zone 7b right? Here in California we were meeting our yearly minimums on multiple occasions so that's what I meant. I'm just glad Spring is here :)

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben in Norcal
2 hours ago, enigma99 said:

NYC is zone 7b right? Here in California we were meeting our yearly minimums on multiple occasions so that's what I meant. I'm just glad Spring is here :)

Yeah, this is the fun part of the year.  Our winter should hopefully be over, and now we get to watch the rest of you get nailed. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josh-O
32 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Yeah, this is the fun part of the year.  Our winter should hopefully be over, and now we get to watch the rest of you get nailed. :D

My 10 day report looks real good. Lots of rain and it wont get that cold. I hope this is the new trend

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josh-O
46 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

My 10 day report looks real good. Lots of rain and it wont get that cold. I hope this is the new trend

for sure! I hope the worst is behind us,

I went below 32 (5-7) times at the vista garden with no frost so far this year. All short duration :greenthumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enigma99
1 hour ago, Josh-O said:

for sure! I hope the worst is behind us,

I went below 32 (5-7) times at the vista garden with no frost so far this year. All short duration :greenthumb:

did you just reply to your own post? :bemused: haha

Edited by enigma99
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cm05
4 hours ago, enigma99 said:

NYC is zone 7b right? Here in California we were meeting our yearly minimums on multiple occasions so that's what I meant. I'm just glad Spring is here :)

Yes, I should've figured that. The western states typically get their lowest temperatures of the winter before we do, so you guys are likely out of the woods but we're just now entering them.

Still, this cold is quite shocking, it hasn't been this cold in quite some time. It went from a 10a to an 8b within a couple of hours lol. Can't wait til Spring.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enigma99
6 minutes ago, cm05 said:

Yes, I should've figured that. The western states typically get their lowest temperatures of the winter before we do, so you guys are likely out of the woods but we're just now entering them.

Still, this cold is quite shocking, it hasn't been this cold in quite some time. It went from a 10a to an 8b within a couple of hours lol. Can't wait til Spring.

 

Yeah, it's been crazy. I went 710 straight days above 30F until Thanksgiving... then got hit again and again with chilly low 30s in December. Ultimate low of 29 this winter so i'm officially zone 9b again :D Although my hibiscus and other things are still green, they look tired and just want some warm weather. But I'm thinking it's going to be rainy and cool for the next 2-3 months... which is OK because our drought is really a bad one

Edited by enigma99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enigma99

Looks like we might have some 30s again around the 31st. We will see.. It is a long time away and lot could change

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NorCalKing
3 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Looks like we might have some 30s again around the 31st. We will see.. It is a long time away and lot could change

I'm not seeing that far out yet on WU, but I can't imagine us hitting too many <30 days as we head into Feb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben in Norcal
8 minutes ago, NorCalKing said:

I'm not seeing that far out yet on WU, but I can't imagine us hitting too many <30 days as we head into Feb.

Don't tempt fate!  But, yes, I hope we're done with cold.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John Case

According to my definition of spring...only 36 more days!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
knell

Crazy reading about folks in OC having 30s, I havent seen anything below 41 since our last cold snap back in Dec.

Was hiking in a t shirt and dreaming of Howeas in a Douglas fir forest today...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enigma99
On January 23, 2016 at 8:43:01 PM, knell said:

Crazy reading about folks in OC having 30s, I havent seen anything below 41 since our last cold snap back in Dec.

Was hiking in a t shirt and dreaming of Howeas in a Douglas fir forest today...

I don't believe I have seen anything below 40 in a long time. Last night was 42 and felt pretty chilly... I'm ready for a warm up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NorCalKing
On January 17, 2016 at 3:56:22 PM, Ben in Norcal said:
4 hours ago, enigma99 said:

I don't believe I have seen anything below 40 in a long time. Last night was 42 and felt pretty chilly... I'm ready for a warm up. 

Yep, ever since our early cold spell things have been 40+ (overnight) for weeks. And I'm finally seeing upper 60's (68) in the 7 day forecast. May be time to get some planting done.

Edited by NorCalKing
Hmm, for some reason it quoted Ben. Weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enigma99

Well, got a single night in the 30s for the next 2-3 weeks on Sunday evening. And it's a cold one. I'm going to be in the mid 30s with a north wind that night.. Brrr. No threat to anything but I will cover my bottles

after that, it will warm up and no more rain for a while! I noticed my palms do NOT like wet rain in the 55-65f range. I will take dry conditions with cool clear nights and warm afternoons any day of the week

Edited by enigma99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palm crazy

We’re getting some warm rain up here, about 3” inches in the next 48 hrs, low tonight will be low 50’s for a few nights and then next week a cold front with lows around mid 30’s 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enigma99

Today was 67F, not bad, tomorrow will be a little warmer closer to 70. Looks like next 70s will be a few days away though. Tomorrow I will be stocking up on palms :) 

Roger, what are you growing up in Olympia?

Edited by enigma99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palm crazy
16 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Today was 67F, not bad, tomorrow will be a little warmer closer to 70. Looks like next 70s will be a few days away though. Tomorrow I will be stocking up on palms :) 

Roger, what are you growing up in Olympia?

I grow pretty much what N.Cali try to grow…lots of Trachycarpus, Butia several types, Jubaea hybrids, Chamaedoreas, Brahea, and Chamerops.  

Lots of exotic plants that are not palms. The winter blooming shrubs are just starting to bloom and are very fragrant right now. We have yet to break 60F this month, LOL! But its still mild compared to the normal high and lows. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enigma99
1 hour ago, Palm crazy said:

I grow pretty much what N.Cali try to grow…lots of Trachycarpus, Butia several types, Jubaea hybrids, Chamaedoreas, Brahea, and Chamerops.  

Lots of exotic plants that are not palms. The winter blooming shrubs are just starting to bloom and are very fragrant right now. We have yet to break 60F this month, LOL! But its still mild compared to the normal high and lows. 

nice. where do you get your palms? are there places to buy there or do you drive down to California?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palm crazy

All the big box stores carry trachy’s, brahea armata, butia, livinstona chamerops, only the silver chamerops are sold at fancy nurseries here, they come in all sizes. Then there’s a few palm nursery’s around the Seattle area that only sell palms and a few exotic.  Got all my hybrids Jubaea and hybrid Butia came from Patrick and BxQ came from FL.

Dypsis and Engleri  palms came from CA by mail order.  Haven’t been to Cali in a long time, I’m over due for a visit. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NorCalKing
3 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

I grow pretty much what N.Cali try to grow…lots of Trachycarpus, Butia several types, Jubaea hybrids, Chamaedoreas, Brahea, and Chamerops.  

Lots of exotic plants that are not palms. The winter blooming shrubs are just starting to bloom and are very fragrant right now. We have yet to break 60F this month, LOL! But its still mild compared to the normal high and lows. 

Hmm I thought you guys would be too damp to grow agave's and some borderline palms, like King etc? Unless you are referring to Nor Cal near the border of Oregon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palm crazy
25 minutes ago, NorCalKing said:

Hmm I thought you guys would be too damp to grow agave's and some borderline palms, like King etc? Unless you are referring to Nor Cal near the border of Oregon?

No king palms here?

The tender palms are mostly for container plantings, unless you have a greenhouse over them in winter.  The other tender palms I mention above are not long term hardy palms for me. They last about 10 years. 

Agaves have to be in full sun and somewhat rain protected. There not very rain hardy in Olympia, so I grow most in containers.  In Seattle  which is much dryer and warmer in winter than me, they grow to blooming size. Seattle rain total 35”- 40”… Olympia 55”. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NorCalKing
4 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

No king palms here?

The tender palms are mostly for container plantings, unless you have a greenhouse over them in winter.  The other tender palms I mention above are not long term hardy palms for me. They last about 10 years. 

Agaves have to be in full sun and somewhat rain protected. There not very rain hardy in Olympia, so I grow most in containers.  In Seattle  which is much dryer and warmer in winter than me, they grow to blooming size. Seattle rain total 35”- 40”… Olympia 55”. 

 OK, makes sense. I've only driven through the Pacific Northwest and I'm really not that familiar with the climate, but I've always heard it's  much wetter than Northern California.

Yeah, we get agave americana down here that are 6' tall and abut 15' wide. They are crazy when they bloom.

Edited by NorCalKing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enigma99
7 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

Hmm I thought you guys would be too damp to grow agave's and some borderline palms, like King etc? Unless you are referring to Nor Cal near the border of Oregon?

Speaking of Kings, I have Spring fever with all the 70s coming soon! haha.. So I went shopping today. Check out this haul. Lowe's had 4 of them, I ended up getting 3. I'm still thinking I should have got them all

IMG_0070.jpg

Edited by enigma99
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NorCalKing

Holy!! They look perfect. Sweet, I need to hit a garden center soon lol

Where did you pick them up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enigma99
15 minutes ago, NorCalKing said:

Holy!! They look perfect. Sweet, I need to hit a garden center soon lol

Where did you pick them up?

North Roseville Store off of Hwy 65. There is still one left:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NorCalKing

That's funny. I was in Rancho Cordova this aft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palm crazy
14 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

 OK, makes sense. I've only driven through the Pacific Northwest and I'm really not that familiar with the climate, but I've always heard it's  much wetter than Northern California.

Yeah, we get agave americana down here that are 6' tall and abut 15' wide. They are crazy when they bloom.

Yes, the PNW is way more wetter than Northen Cali. But it depends on where you live. In western WA the rain total amount ranges from as little as 15” in Sequim, WA to the northern coast which has over 100” of rain. And then theres the dry hot Eastern side of the state with only 6” of rain per year. The climate here varies a lot from one region to the next. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NorCalKing

That's crazy. I thought we had wild variations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palm crazy

Awesome living here, can be in the rain forest one day and the next day high desert area, LOL! 

Here are some cacti that are growing in Yakima WA.  Last year in early June 2015 they got up to 113F.   But don’t let these photos fool you it can and does get really cold in winter in Eastern WA.  Notice how little the agaves are in this garden, not like the more tender big ones in Cali. http://www.oxford.bcss.org.uk/collections/ron%20mckitrick/ron%20mckitrick.htm

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NorCalKing

Too cool. Great collection. I would've never guess that collection would have been in the PNW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...