IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First real cold of the season!

NorCalKing

Well another 30f low. This is getting old. Luckily we warm to the mid 50's during the day. 

I'm in San Diego right now, but looks like my low was 34.  But, looks like it is going to get way worse later in the week????  Ugh.  May be time to set the propane heaters up.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I'm in San Diego right now, but looks like my low was 34.  But, looks like it is going to get way worse later in the week????  Ugh.  May be time to set the propane heaters up.

Sunday can't come soon enough. I'm going to stock up on propane tomorrow and get ready for the cold

On December 27, 2015 at 11:05:21 AM, enigma99 said:

How did your archontophoenix do?

Looking at it this morning ( I know not all the damage may be showing yet) looks like I can't see any new frost damage. There was already some existing frond damage from when I bought it at Lowes, but nothing visibly noticeable.

I'm not sure how I escaped (knocking on head)

33 minutes ago, NorCalKing said:

Looking at it this morning ( I know not all the damage may be showing yet) looks like I can't see any new frost damage. There was already some existing frond damage from when I bought it at Lowes, but nothing visibly noticeable.

I'm not sure how I escaped (knocking on head)

Don't speak too soon.  Next 2 nights look bad - tonight worse than tomorrow here.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Forecasting 29f tonight, and 31f for tomorrow. Then we are out of the woods for the foreseeable future.:o

Still scratching my head how the archontophoenix hasn't shown more visible damage with my 26f low?:wacko:

Just a foot note:  my Giant Bird Of Paradise, It looks to be completely fried, and that was under a frost blanket! That part of my yard tends to stay the coldest :(

Edited by NorCalKing

51 minutes ago, NorCalKing said:

Forecasting 29f tonight, and 31f for tomorrow. Then we are out of the woods for the foreseeable future.:o

Still scratching my head how the archontophoenix hasn't shown more visible damage with my 26f low?:wacko:

Just a foot note:  my Giant Bird Of Paradise, It looks to be completely fried, and that was under a frost blanket! That part of my yard tends to stay the coldest :(

If it is A. cunninghamiana, that doesn't surprise me.  Is it under some cover?  I think they really start getting whacked at 25.  Should be more widespread in Bay Area on this basis!

Ben Rogers

5 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

If it is A. cunninghamiana, that doesn't surprise me.  Is it under some cover?  I think they really start getting whacked at 25.  Should be more widespread in Bay Area on this basis!

Yeah, it's a A. cunninghamiana, it does not have any cover, however it's 10ft from the house, and has a concrete border with the driveway and the walkway that I'm sure absorbs some heat during the day.

6 minutes ago, NorCalKing said:

Yeah, it's a A. cunninghamiana, it does not have any cover, however it's 10ft from the house, and has a concrete border with the driveway and the walkway that I'm sure absorbs some heat during the day.

Well fingers crossed on it.  Hopefully we just have these 2 last nights to get through before the pattern shifts.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

2 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Yeah the regular big box store King is really a solid 9b palm. Great for canopies and why I have 50 of them :)

We're not breaking any records down here for the next few weeks.  Been well below average since those storms came through last weekend and will be below average for the next 10 days per forecast. 45-58F highs, lows between 30-40F.

I'm officially upset this winter sucks so bad. Come on man this isn't even fair

Edited by enigma99

Hopefully we get an early spring to make up for this crazy winter. 

31.5f (and falling) atm. I'm sure the trees are getting use to freezing. 

Holding at 40 degrees here at almost 5 a.m.  Elevation + wind up to 5 mph keeping my temps up despite the crazy low dew points.  Lots of 20s down in the valley by the 680.

Ben Rogers

4 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Holding at 40 degrees here at almost 5 a.m.  Elevation + wind up to 5 mph keeping my temps up despite the crazy low dew points.  Lots of 20s down in the valley by the 680.

Yeah, I got lucky too. Hit an overnight low of 31f and it climbed to 34f by 5:00am actually.These are my back yard weather station temps, not the municipal airport 5 miles away :) Which is great, because Livermore like most the Tri-Valley is notoriously cold.

Edited by NorCalKing

Low was 39F here, a whopping 9F warmer than the forecast. We'll be in the teens Monday night though, and the forecasted low keeps dropping, getting a little nervous lol.

6 minutes ago, cm05 said:

Low was 39F here, a whopping 9F warmer than the forecast. We'll be in the teens Monday night though, and the forecasted low keeps dropping, getting a little nervous lol.

It's nice when they get it wrong on the + side lol

Another night in the 20's here.  So far 4 nights below 30 with the worst being 27.  My worst looking Palm is my Parajubaea cocoides, many of its leaves are turning a grown color.  There is some minor damage on my Kentia and A. cunninghamiana.   My king palms seem to get tougher each year.  The first year I planted them they suffered 50% or more leaf burn from mid to upper 20's but now there is minimal damage under similar or slightly warmer temperatures.  They were around 3 feet tall when planted and now are 7-8 feet tall.

Just updated temp outlooks...**fingers crossed**

Shaded areas indicate regions where NOAA believes there is a greater-than-average chance that the average temperature from Jan. 1, 2016, through Mar. 31, 2016, will rank among the warmest or coldest one-third of all winters in the 1981-2010 climatological reference period.

cpc-jan-mar-2016-temp-outlook.jpg

Edited by NorCalKing

Let's hope so. So far the long range projections haven't felt very accurate.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On 12/28/2015, 9:01:04, Ben in Norcal said:
3 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Let's hope so. So far the long range projections haven't felt very accurate.

they have been off for my local forecasts all winter long

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

11 minutes ago, NorCalKing said:

Looks like after tonight, the coldest for the next 10 days is 38f 

Thank God for that...I need a break, nevermind the plants!  I wake up in the middle of the night stressing about what the temperature is, and then can't fall back asleep.  Rain coming, as well, which is good too.

Ben Rogers

24 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Thank God for that...I need a break, nevermind the plants!  I wake up in the middle of the night stressing about what the temperature is, and then can't fall back asleep.  Rain coming, as well, which is good too.

I swear we have the same train of thought with weather :) 

Do you also find yourself wondering the garden at 4 am looking for frost crystals on the fronds of your palms?...hehehehe 

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

7 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

I swear we have the same train of thought with weather :) 

Do you also find yourself wondering the garden at 4 am looking for frost crystals on the fronds of your palms?...hehehehe 

Nah...just refeshing my WU station every 15 seconds...;)

Ben Rogers

44 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I knew it:lol:

Sunset zone 24

5 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

In the warm months, I have dreams about a nasty freeze coming. Then I wake up and realize it is going to be 90F. 

But during an actual freeze, I can never sleep. I keep waking up even if I don't look at the temp. But usually I do because I can't sleep until I know if everything is getting fried or not

The temps are climbing actually. Back up to 41f at 10:30pm :)

Think we're out of the woods. (This time lol)

Edited by NorCalKing

10 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

The temps are climbing actually. Back up to 41f at 10:30pm :)

Think we're out of the woods. (This time lol)

Clouds are nice. Tomorrow I am going to do some Spring cleaning as things are starting to return to normal for the long term. Lows in the 40s not 30s :)

NYC is going to be 17F in a couple days (as it should be). Orlando has low/mid 40s coming during the week of the 10th. Best of all, we're going to get lots of rain. El Nino might be here finally

5 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Clouds are nice. Tomorrow I am going to do some Spring cleaning as things are starting to return to normal for the long term. Lows in the 40s not 30s :)

NYC is going to be 17F in a couple days (as it should be). Orlando has low/mid 40s coming during the week of the 10th. Best of all, we're going to get lots of rain. El Nino might be here finally

Let's hope so!  Yep, low 40s here since 10:30 p.m., and 10-day looks good.  I may even plant some stuff out today!

Ben Rogers

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Let's hope so!  Yep, low 40s here since 10:30 p.m., and 10-day looks good.  I may even plant some stuff out today!

I plant something every January just to thumb my nose at winter.

• Upvote 1

Carl

Vista, CA

1 minute ago, nachocarl said:

I plant something every January just to thumb my nose at winter.

I plant year round because I have no ability to stop!

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

2 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I plant year round because I have no ability to stop!

You might be a palm addict if you find yourself planting all year. 

You might be a palm addict if you find yourself looking at the palms at big box stores.

You might be a  palm addict if there is always room for just one more.

You might be a palm addict if you can recite the genus and species of well over a 100 palms.

You might be a palm addict if you find yourself discussing palms at a cocktail party where no one cares.

• Upvote 1

Carl

Vista, CA

Just now, nachocarl said:

You might be a palm addict if you find yourself planting all year. 

You might be a palm addict if you find yourself looking at the palms at big box stores.

You might be a  palm addict if there is always room for just one more.

You might be a palm addict if you can recite the genus and species of well over a 100 palms.

You might be a palm addict if you find yourself discussing palms at a cocktail party where no one cares.

I found some HUGE Dioon spinulosum at the local big box yesterday, Carl.  NOT a species regularly seen at the big boxes round these parts.

Of course, I am going back to sandwich more in my little Caddy today. :D

Ben Rogers

8 hours ago, enigma99 said:

And all was right with the world again :) Overnight low update: 37f. 

• Upvote 1