IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First real cold of the season!

NorCalKing

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone ready for the next freeze? This is crazy 

while NYC is seeing lows in the 60s and highs in the mid 70s lol

1 minute ago, enigma99 said:

Everyone ready for the next freeze? This is crazy 

while NYC is seeing lows in the 60s and highs in the mid 70s lol

I still haven't frozen here, bananas still going strong.  Fingers crossed this one misses me too!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

This weather has been just silly. The East coast setting records, and we get these silly cold fronts one after another. Although the rain today is nice.

My forecast for Dec 25th - 31f...Merry Xmas :( 

11 minutes ago, NorCalKing said:

This weather has been just silly. The East coast setting records, and we get these silly cold fronts one after another. Although the rain today is nice.

My forecast for Dec 25th - 31f...Merry Xmas :( 

Same here. 31

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

The projections keep coming down is my concern.

Just saw the satellite images today. looks like freezing temps for Christmas :( 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

So I am visiting my family in Walnut Creek for the holiday, and based on this thread, I certainly expected to see some freeze damage on the most tender plants such as bananas, bougainvillea, and Jacaranda, much to my surprise, nothing. There are still signs of summer drought stress under the watering restrictions, but the tropicals are doing great. Wherever those mid-twenties were, they weren't in this part of town.

4 minutes ago, tstieber said:

So I am visiting my family in Walnut Creek for the holiday, and based on this thread, I certainly expected to see some freeze damage on the most tender plants such as bananas, bougainvillea, and Jacaranda, much to my surprise, nothing. There are still signs of summer drought stress under the watering restrictions, but the tropicals are doing great. Wherever those mid-twenties were, they weren't in this part of town.

I'm up Ygnacio Valley (up near the Pavillion) - and while I am warmer than Walnut Creek, we have not frozen this year.  Bananas still look good.  Not much of a frost, even.  Looking cold the next week or so, but hopefully continuing to be above freezing.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

At 8 pm it is now 34.2 F, I thought it would get colder than they predicted, I suspect I may get to 26 or 27.  I am in Pleasant Hill, only about 5 miles from Ben, but down lower. One side of my yard (regular size backyard) is 4 degrees warmer than the west side.  I am glad we spent the day, protecting all the newly transplanted palms this year, with AgroBond, and towels and blankets.  I have been concerned about three D. Ambisotrae, that I have in a protected spot each place.  Each were five gallon planted this year, locations, under eave front-North, west side- under a 55% shade sail, and under large B. Mooreii, and last one is in the big plastic covered hoop house 10' tall. 

Go figure, the hoop house is colder this year, and it is air tight.  This year it is the same ambient temperature as yard.  Last year, it was covered with SunTuff, and because of the ridging on the ceiling, there was a 1/2"-1" gap near the top, and I kept it 6-7 degrees warmer. To me it seems obvious the SunTuff kept it warmer, but my engineer husband suspects it was the airflow from the ground and it vented the warm air up.  Anybody else agree with him, so we can vent the top next year?  Cecile

On 12/24/2015, 7:58:18, tstieber said:

I don't know why this is insisting on quoting tstieber.  I am going to submit this to try and make it go away!

Ben Rogers

41 degrees here at 6 a.m.  I'll take that.  Some breeziness keeping temps up here in the hills.

Ben Rogers

1 hour ago, NorCalKing said:

35f was the overnight low. Breathing a sigh of relief 

Last night was the easiest night. I expect tonight to be much worse 

6 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

41 degrees here at 6 a.m.  I'll take that.  Some breeziness keeping temps up here in the hills.

Yeah and when the wind quits your cold drains down to someone else's yard :)

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, enigma99 said:

Yeah and when the wind quits your cold drains down to someone else's yard :)

I'm good with that, too!  I think I am going to chance it again tonight.  If it's only a few degrees worse, I am fine with that.

Ben Rogers

11 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I'm good with that, too!  I think I am going to chance it again tonight.  If it's only a few degrees worse, I am fine with that.

I'm pretty sure you will be fine. 

30f at 9:30 this morning.  My husband mixed our sensors, so our hoop house is 4-5 degrees warmer.  So, it has nothing to do w/ venting or SunTuff.  We even tried a low heater set at 55 degrees, and it kept the hoop house  (10' x 18') at 49f.  I was concerned that there would be a blower and cook one or some of the palms.  Next year, I will only wrap half and those will be my slower growing and more cold sensitive, everything in there will only get to 12', and that's doable to cover. I have a slew of Trunking C. Radicalis out front, not protected by anything and will just test them out on their own.   I bought about #16 1g, that I have now moved to 5g in pots.  I can replace  the ones in the ground, but first want to see what temperature they can take. 

I even covered my two new P. Rupicolas, because they were just put in October.  I just don't have the room for the hybrids, except for these. 

I had a "big" surgery last Wed, but that didn't stop me from wrapping palms, taking long rests in lounge chair, then getting back to it.  Percoset was my energy bar and hammer gel all in one. 

2 hours ago, SHEP said:

30f at 9:30 this morning.  My husband mixed our sensors, so our hoop house is 4-5 degrees warmer.  So, it has nothing to do w/ venting or SunTuff.  We even tried a low heater set at 55 degrees, and it kept the hoop house  (10' x 18') at 49f.  I was concerned that there would be a blower and cook one or some of the palms.  Next year, I will only wrap half and those will be my slower growing and more cold sensitive, everything in there will only get to 12', and that's doable to cover. I have a slew of Trunking C. Radicalis out front, not protected by anything and will just test them out on their own.   I bought about #16 1g, that I have now moved to 5g in pots.  I can replace  the ones in the ground, but first want to see what temperature they can take. 

I even covered my two new P. Rupicolas, because they were just put in October.  I just don't have the room for the hybrids, except for these. 

I had a "big" surgery last Wed, but that didn't stop me from wrapping palms, taking long rests in lounge chair, then getting back to it.  Percoset was my energy bar and hammer gel all in one. 

Wow that's pretty cold. Are you at the bottom of a hill?

Edited by enigma99

32 minutes ago, NorCalKing said:

26f atm. This is not looking good. 

This winter sucks so far !

Yeah, ugly.  Even places like San Jose, MTV, Palo Alto, are mainly in the 20s.  My elevation is keeping me above 30, but the sun can't start warming things up fast enough!

Ben Rogers

I had to make do with 30.7. :(  I guess I'll take it having seen 20s all around the Bay Area on WU.

Ben Rogers

I'm sure it'll take a few days to assess the (possible) damage. Good thing I covered the giant bird of paradise. 

Hit 33 at 6:15, 32.0 by 7:15am. I'm in a protected area and dew points are always higher and it saved me last night.

Thursday 33F, Friday 34F, Saturday 32F

Good news is that tonight will be a lot warmer.. 

3 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

26f atm. This is not looking good. 

This winter sucks so far !

How did your archontophoenix do?

And it may not settle soon, unfortunately.  It looks like we have more freezing weather on the way next Friday and Saturday a.m.s.  Let's hope it gets moderated - I am tired of this crap.

Ben Rogers

I had 26F Sunday low.  I was really worried about my King's.  Still don't know because they are covered up.  Ben, I got these three from the guy in Lafayette, supposedly "I. Hoffman
.  They have been cooking along.  Hopefully, I can baby them for the next couple of years, and let them grow up like Glenn's. 

57 minutes ago, SHEP said:

I had 26F Sunday low.  I was really worried about my King's.  Still don't know because they are covered up.  Ben, I got these three from the guy in Lafayette, supposedly "I. Hoffman
.  They have been cooking along.  Hopefully, I can baby them for the next couple of years, and let them grow up like Glenn's. 

Ken in Lafayette.  I have a bunch from him too, but mostly in pots still.  Keep us informed on how they do...!  Fingers crossed.

Ben Rogers

My turn tonight. Haven't been hit since Thanksgiving but its 32 at 1:15 and dropping. Has been a special December 

Back to the mid 30s at 2AM.. and time to stop watching it and just go to bed. I never sleep that well on nights like these