IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sick Butia help!

GA Palm Guy

Ok PalmTalkers, here is a sick patient. 2 Pindo palms that look to be suffering from too much top watering by the sprinklers. One Palm the center is completely brown but spear is strong. The other is still green in the center with some brown fronds in the mix. I have already used hydrogen peroxide on them both and would like to know if I should continue treating them with that or should I use copper fungicide at any point? Open to your thoughts. Thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Oh my, heading into the cool season in such a weakened state does not forebode well for recovery.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I plan on keeping them as dry as I can and wrap them during and ice or snow that we may get this year if that helps. I am testing my skills as a palm doctor so if there is any precautions I can take please let me know. Thanks!

pour lots of H2o2 (hydrogen peroxide) down the crown shaft and pray.

I would also just replace it if you have the funds available?

they are a slow growing palms and it would take years for it to ever look good again :( 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Any preference on how often to treat with hydrogen peroxide? I am patient so if they have a chance at recovering, I'll wait. Thanks!

I can appreciate your wanting to nurse them back to health. The only reason I was able to get a great price when I purchased my Butia, was due to its suffering obvious freeze damage with the spear becoming dark, wilted though secure. 

While there are very good benefits from both approaches to drenches, I firmly believe my initial treatments with a copper fungicide (in January no less - one initial treatment followed by a second two weeks later) saved mine from an imminent death...residual copper helping as an ongoing preventative? That being said, copper can be toxic, and would be especially cautious on plants in your current state.

I kept the spear above freezing after treatment until any liquid in the heart appeared to be dissipated (freeze/thaw damage), and followed your line of reasoning in keeping it absolutely dry until the growing season returned.

Wishing you the best of luck with your palms.

Sadly, I have lost 2 at that stage.  On the first I tried just peroxide and the second peroxide and copper.  I wish you the best of luck, but at the same time I would be shopping for its replacement.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

If your in z8 it should be ok come spring as long as it doesn’t go below 20F. Keep doing what your doing but don’t over do the peroxide don’t want to poison it.  You probably have a 50/50 chance of it recovering, if not replace it. It’s just a butia so don’t sweat it, there easy to replace. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Thanks for the replies. By looking at their current state I feel one has a good chance at recovery. The other is questionable and probably needs extra care. Judging from your posts I will stick with the hydrogen peroxide for treatment but I did not see any suggestions on how often I should treat it. Other than these 2 Butia's I have another that is healthy but much younger as well as some seedlings going.

Thanks!

Palms Rule!