IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis Lastelliana

steve99

The Dypsis Lastelliana in my garden is one of my favorites.  Planted way back in 1997 it seems to like the climate here on the Gold Coast, Qld and has grown steadily over the years without any problems.  Of course, if I had my time over I would have planted two or three in close proximity.  Anyway, here's a few recent pics.

2iash2t.jpg

fw0f9t.jpg

s2rv9y.jpg

nx2xxy.jpg

• Upvote 3

That is sweet! I have one growing here but is very small(7-8') and grows oh so slow.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

That is a great looking palm. Cannot wait from mine to reach that size. They are slow to form a trunk.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Very very nice!  :wub:

I have a couple of teddy bears that started trunking last year. Looking forward to a similar look to your red neck!

Cheers

Maurice

Edited by mlovecan

Lardos, Greece ( Island of Rhodes ) 10B

1.9 km from Mediterannean Sea

Very cool. Mine has years to grow before it reaches that size.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Mine still struggles here in our Southern California climate. It's only 7' tall and looks like crap half the year. Maybe one day it will grow into its own?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

This is one of those palms that if it were rare in cultivation it would be selling for a fortune. To me it was one of the prettiest palms I saw in Madagascar. 

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

10 hours ago, Moose said:

Very cool, great colors! Does it produce viable seed?

It's only starting producing seed in the last few years.  I tried a few earlier this year but none germinated....maybe this year?

Looking good there Steve...I have to plant a few of these at my next place!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

That one is a ripper, absolutely gorgeous.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Superb , mine has a lot of growing to do yet , but it has finally got a bit of trunk now P1020597.thumb.JPG.e82f9e6bced43554bafb6

• Upvote 2

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

1 minute ago, aussiearoids said:

Superb , mine has a lot of growing to do yet , but it has finally got a bit of trunk now P1020597.thumb.JPG.e82f9e6bced43554bafb6

How old is this beauty? (I planted some seedlings last january, I am looking forward to seeing them growing)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Unsure as to how old the seedling was when planted , but it was in a large pot and was nearly 2m tall [ shade grown ]

It has been planted for nearly exactly 8 years IMG_3671.JPG.e0414caf1076bb263733dd5fc06

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

2 minutes ago, aussiearoids said:

Unsure as to how old the seedling was when planted , but it was in a large pot and was nearly 2m tall [ shade grown ]

It has been planted for nearly exactly 8 years IMG_3671.JPG.e0414caf1076bb263733dd5fc06

OMG,

I start with 30 cm seedlings! Maybe it takes 15 years until I can see a trunk :crying:

it seems to be one other difference between Dypsis leptocheilos and Dypsis lastelliana; speed of growth.

• Upvote 2

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

They seem to vary in growth...mine went from a 2 metre palm to having 4 metres of clean trunk in 10 years..I wouldn't call it too slow...and that is only in the subtropics...I think they prefer some shade until they get quite large though.

Daryl

• Upvote 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Great looking examples! Mine seems to get a bit better looking each year...slows a lot in winter, but once some heat is here, it moves ok..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

On 11/29/2015, 2:09:36, doranakandawatta said:

OMG,

I start with 30 cm seedlings! Maybe it takes 15 years until I can see a trunk :crying:

it seems to be one other difference between Dypsis leptocheilos and Dypsis lastelliana; speed of growth.

Philippe, you are correct......

soooooo slow compared to D. leptochelios

Sunset zone 24

7 hours ago, Josh-O said:

Philippe, you are correct......

soooooo slow compared to D. leptochelios

I wouldn't say Dypsis Lastelliana is slow !  I have Dypsis Lastelliana and Dypsis Leptocheilos in my garden, both of which were planted in late 1997 or early 1998.  Looking at them now, both have about 12ft - 14ft of trunk with less than 12" separating them

The only difference I have noticed is, Dypsis Lastelliana has wider spaced growth rings compared to Leptocheilos.   But of course,  Dypsis Leptocheilos gets a few more leaves a year to compensate.

15 hours ago, steve99 said:

I wouldn't say Dypsis Lastelliana is slow !  I have Dypsis Lastelliana and Dypsis Leptocheilos in my garden, both of which were planted in late 1997 or early 1998.  Looking at them now, both have about 12ft - 14ft of trunk with less than 12" separating them

The only difference I have noticed is, Dypsis Lastelliana has wider spaced growth rings compared to Leptocheilos.   But of course,  Dypsis Leptocheilos gets a few more leaves a year to compensate.

oops, i should of mentioned they are Dypsis L. is slow in my climate

Sunset zone 24

• 1 month later...

valuable information about Dypsis leptocheilos and  Dypsis Lastelliana growth speed, now i'm choosing fast growing Dypsis leptocheilos

Both are great trees!The first photo here is the first bit of red on my D. lastelliana that I planted (tiny of course!) in June 2009. Note the iPhone 5s for scale. Len I agree that these in Madagascar were wonderful.

The following two are of a tree identified on this forum as D. leptocheilos which was here when I bought the farm in 2006.This tree is in a hard to photograph position but fairly close to the house so I admire it daily.

569ffc72c6e67_DSCN0852(1).thumb.jpg.4834

Dypsis leptocheilos Nov 2015 DSCN8724.jpg

Dypsis leptocheilos Nov 2015 DSCN8725.jpg

• Upvote 3

Cindy Adair

8 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

Both are great trees!The first photo here is the first bit of red on my D. lastelliana that I planted (tiny of course!) in June 2009. Note the iPhone 5s for scale. Len I agree that these in Madagascar were wonderful.

The following two are of a tree identified on this forum as D. leptocheilos which was here when I bought the farm in 2006.This tree is in a hard to photograph position but fairly close to the house so I admire it daily.

Dypsis leptocheilos Nov 2015 DSCN8724.jpg

what is the tree front of D. leptocheilos (look like durian tree)

1 hour ago, Cindy Adair said:

Sharp eyes you have! That is one of my two durians which have not yet fruited.

not yet fruits???? did you plant seeds or grafted  plants, that plant should fruit in this size 

I did not plant these, but probably not grafted ones. I think they should be fruiting too and will remind them next time I walk by....

Cindy Adair

• 3 months later...

During the last three/four weeks I have got around ten of my d.lastelliana seeds germinated - wonderful!

It will obviously take some time to get them big but I am happy to have some of them at all - I hope they will

be fine with our conditions.

Thanks for sharing those pictures - great motivation!

best regards

Congratulations!

The instant gratification of planting a tree of at least a foot or two in size is nice, but the ultimate satisfaction of starting plants from seed is immense. 

This forum is great for inspiration. It helps my imagination to picture a trunk from what my eyes report as a tiny sprout! 

And I have more fingers than palms of the two foot size or larger that I have personally planted on my farm. Easier on the pocketbook too....

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair