ChrisA

W. filifera in Albuquerque

ChrisA

Oh no, I think they're toast.  The filifera have been around for a long time and even they defoliate nearly completely every winter.  Can't imagine these very large Mexican Fan Palms and Date Palms will be able to withstand the long cold winter Albuquerque gets.

I hope the homeowner really enjoys them for this season! Maybe they're super wealthy and can afford to replace each year? If not, they're in for an expensive lesson.

If someone can post the address I'd love to check them out sometime when I'm back this summer!  TIA!

• Like 1

SailorBold
13 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Woah, will those get defoliated every winter there? Washingtonia Robusta is around 20F, Dates maybe 17. 

Most likely...  They will survive... but the dates recover so slow I dont know if the owner will want to deal with them looking crappy most of the time...  those washingtonia may be hybrids by the looks of them...  those should be at least 80-90% hardy here..and they will get plenty of water from the grass. I dunno..  if they were mine...

The mean lows from the airport anyway for december and january are 12f and 14f...well within 8a...  and the avg.. with severe freezes (if I understand correctly) is 9.6f

The problem is that the climate is so close to being palmy...  3-4 degrees or so... yet just not right there yet... they are classified as marginal.  i agree with it.   Im impressed with how well the larger sized transplants do overall.  Worth it.

SailorBold
5 hours ago, jwitt said:

Who knows?  Got large filiferea living decades unprotected in a warm zone 6b mere miles from these palms.

Seen thin trunk washingintonia survive -11f in 2/2011 but succumb to -1f that happened in 12/2011.

Many robustas and date palm survived -5f south of this location. 

Oh, don't forget these palms will be in a location with about 170 day growing season.  I'm guessing this locale, is a zone 7a if it is where I think it is.

What do you think?

Yeah I dunno... i think the Washingtonias will be permanent... hopefully they dont give up on them while they are recovering each spring during establishment (IMO takes 7-10 years)..

The dates will survive but slowly decline... but like you said... who knows... there are dates in TorC.  the winter lows in january are only a degree warmer at 27f.. looking at averages..

Hey are you ready to plant some pure filifera in the drainage pond?

SailorBold
20 minutes ago, ChrisA said:

Oh no, I think they're toast.  The filifera have been around for a long time and even they defoliate nearly completely every winter.  Can't imagine these very large Mexican Fan Palms and Date Palms will be able to withstand the long cold winter Albuquerque gets.

I hope the homeowner really enjoys them for this season! Maybe they're super wealthy and can afford to replace each year? If not, they're in for an expensive lesson.

If someone can post the address I'd love to check them out sometime when I'm back this summer!  TIA!

Just keep in mind tho.. that the filifera in Albuquerque are all tainted with robusta to some degree...  I'm not entirely convinced these are pure robustas due to the open-ish crown...

ChrisA

How did the date palm do on the grounds of Plant World at the corner of Edith and El Pueblo?  The thing I think that really hits Albuquerque palms is the total number of hours below freezing. There are MANY evenings where the temp drops to the mid 20's right as the sun sets.  

• Like 1

ChrisA
13 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Woah, will those get defoliated every winter there? Washingtonia Robusta is around 20F, Dates maybe 17. 

They will definitely get defoliated every winter.

SailorBold
1 hour ago, ChrisA said:

How did the date palm do on the grounds of Plant World at the corner of Edith and El Pueblo?  The thing I think that really hits Albuquerque palms is the total number of hours below freezing. There are MANY evenings where the temp drops to the mid 20's right as the sun sets.  

They defoliated when the arctic freeze came...with the half crown they grew over the summer..  They are field planted..  Im not sure how fast an established date will grow..  that will be interesting to find out if these survive.  Yeah I know... living in high desert... no heat retention.

It appears the best large palms that can handle the normal winters in Albuquerque without defoliation are the Jubaea x Butia Hybrids and the Butia x Jubaea hybrids.. I covered my Jubaea x butia during the arctic event.. and left the BXJ on its own...   There was no defoliation on either of these trees at 2 nights of 9-10f...  but if its a long duration with a couple days below freezing that is where the problems start.  i cant wait until the jubaea x butia seeds....  these need to be widely planted... they handle the heat... the cold... the alkalinity... the sand...tap water  etc.  Looks as tho Sabal Mexicana may be an upcoming palm as well.

20210504_123424.jpg

Edited by SailorBold
  • Like 4