• Similar Content

• ChrisA
      By ChrisA
      I wanted to start a thread to share some photos of non-palm, subtropics plants that can be found in New Mexico.  

I am located in Albuquerque, zone 7b officially, although it has been trending more towards a cold 8a or 8b climate over the last 20 years. See my W. filifera in albuquerque post in the cold hardy forum for an analysis of this year’s winter temps.
      The first photo is of a Coolibah which has been in the ground for over 10 years.  It’s had one winter where the trunk did not die back to the ground, otherwise it reliably fries and takes all summer to make several more 4-5 foot tall shoots which are thin enough to again be smoked by any temps below 25 the following winter.  Now it is in far too much shade as it’s been far outpaced by the nearby Filibusta and a California Sycamore.

• Kris
      By Kris
      Dear Friends,
      After seeing some youtube videos on Washy trimming,We thought it would be better to clean up all the dried fronds and fibre which were harboring some rodents,termites and bats.Whenever anyone went close to this palm they used to come out rushing in our direction and the fiber that used to support the fronds used to drop daily littering the foot of this palm.So we decided to clean this palm using a simple kitchen knife and paper cutter.
      Stills and videos is in the following post.
      Love,
      Kris.

• ChrisA
      By ChrisA
      Well winter has really hit New Mexico now. We were forecasted to get 5-8 inches of snow, but got just over an inch. Below are pictures of my Filibusta covered with snow.  We've gotten down in the low 20's but with snow having sat on them all day with now warmth I expect I will lose the played out fronds.  

Below are the photos and a photo of our extended forecast.  This is going to be one hell of a winter! The forecast for the next 30 days, and hopefully it's not accurate, foretells about 20 that are mid teens or lower. Yuck!!!  At least we avoided the blizzard the plains received.