IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Getting palms ready for winter...

Omeyer72

Cold weather is back. Have used this system with great success, though always open to suggestions. I have 4 permanent galvanized tubes in the ground which I anchor the PVC cage, entire assembly by carriage bolts and wings nuts for easy storage. Gather foliage with blankets with Sleeping bags placed over during extreme cold and/ or unusually wet conditions. Christmas incandescents on a thermocube around the base. 

Have pulled a large Pindo, a 8' CT Trachy and this smaller one through below -10 F temps with not so much As one spear pull (knock on wood). Relatively simple and effective.

image.thumb.jpg.11c637d18b6f66182b42594f

• Upvote 4

lets see an after pic when you get that palm hunkered down for the winter :greenthumb:

good luck with everything there in AR

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Appreciate the well wishes, Josh. Daylight savings leaves me in the dark this week, though will finish up and post pics this coming weekend.

Here they are wrapped up and ready for a forecasted 18F...I unfortunately have a bad microclimate and can expect 3 or more degrees less than better areas.

If aesthetics are a concern, I've seen some fine solutions on the web utilizing bamboo/reed fencing wrapped around similar structure, though prefer easier access to the interior.

First two pics are my smaller Trachy. Third is my Pindo, and last is my largest Trachy.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Upvote 1

You are a palm hero, buddy.  C

Carpe diem, my friend

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Good question, and I do not, Ben. Anytime temps are forecasted to be around 20F and above (and dry) for a period of time, I'll pull the covers off completely to give them some sun and fresh air. During lesser conditions, I will periodically unzip the side to air out the interior. In spite of my less than ideal conditions, they are uncovered most of the winter.

Excellent.  And I'm depressed about having to wrap a couple of plants with frost cloth!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Are those sleeping bags?   great idea. Like you I like to have protection that on nice days I can open easy and let palms breathe and get some sun.

One of many I protect like this.

DSCF9795.JPG

• Upvote 1

Wishing I had Ben's weather right about now.

They are sleeping bags, Scott. After settling on creating a custom, insulated & weather-resistant cloth jacket with a zipper, a trip through a local sporting goods retailer reminded my that they are already available and under $20 each...

Very impressive to grow palms in Nebraska. Also like your solution. Appreciate the pic.

Those are some nice techniques...my

larger Trachys are still uncovered here in Iowa...

way to much rain lately  though!

Heres the Fortunei last Saturday

DSCF0479_zpsn5agdii3.jpg

Nainital

DSCF0477_zpsjgjuylrt.jpg

Here they are on Monday

DSCF0486_zpsvbjbbj3j.jpg

DSCF0485_zpsmkktkzq6.jpg

• Upvote 1

Like your pics, Jim, and Trachys are unbelievably tough. Also enjoyed your other yard pics posted recently on this forum.

Always interested in learning from other protection methods, particularly further North like yourself. Next Winter's plan is protecting a Spring planting of my B. Armatas, B. Claras, C. Humilis and - perhaps being overly ambitious - planned Bizmarcks and a Phoenix Roebelinii...I'll see how much gumption I have at that time.

On 11/22/2015, 12:08:43, Omeyer72 said:

Wishing I had Ben's weather right about now.

They are sleeping bags, Scott. After settling on creating a custom, insulated & weather-resistant cloth jacket with a zipper, a trip through a local sporting goods retailer reminded my that they are already available and under $20 each...

Very impressive to grow palms in Nebraska. Also like your solution. Appreciate the pic.

As an alternative cover, I recommend looking for a hot water heater cover, available in home centers. They are the right shape, generally have velcro or straps to close it, and "should" have some water resistance. I haven't used on on palms, but have one on my water heater. Looks right.

JT

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

Interesting thought, JT. Those wraps are a good size for smaller palms. One concern would be making sure and keeping their insulating base material dry, as they often use fiberglass and denim which perform poorly if wet. That being said, I've noticed the zippable, waterproof covers made for standing patio heaters would be just the trick. I'm currently using 2 mil poly mattress covers as a precaution in our recent cold monsoon. 

Appreciate the fresh idea, and definitely a viable option to look in to.

• 2 years later...
On 11/21/2015, 4:37:46, Omeyer72 said:

Here they are wrapped up and ready for a forecasted 18F...I unfortunately have a bad microclimate and can expect 3 or more degrees less than better areas.

If aesthetics are a concern, I've seen some fine solutions on the web utilizing bamboo/reed fencing wrapped around similar structure, though prefer easier access to the interior.

First two pics are my smaller Trachy. Third is my Pindo, and last is my largest Trachy.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

How is the galvanized pipe anchored? great idea