Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
aztropic

Copernicia fallaensis; Nassau,Bahamas

Recommended Posts

aztropic

Just returned from a week in the Bahamas!

There is a place called "The Retreat" gardens in Nassau that is about as palmy as it gets in the Bahamas.They claim to have about 150 different species :hmm: maybe? Anyways,they are all planted in these naturally occurring limestone sinkholes,which are all over the property, under rather shady conditions of natural forest.There are a few dozen rare palms there but the speed of growth has generally been hampered by too much shade.Still an interesting place to visit though.

I did find this Copernicia fallaensis,though.At 65 years old,you would think it might be a little bigger.It doesn't appear to have produced any seed yet,probably due to the shade.

 

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

2015-11-08 12.53.44.jpg

2015-11-08 13.02.28.jpg

2015-11-08 12.57.02.jpg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palmaceae

Very nice, I went there in the early 80's and was able to meet the owner at that time, Margeret Langlois. A very memorable trip.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josh-O
8 hours ago, aztropic said:

Just returned from a week in the Bahamas!

There is a place called "The Retreat" gardens in Nassau that is about as palmy as it gets in the Bahamas.They claim to have about 150 different species :hmm: maybe? Anyways,they are all planted in these naturally occurring limestone sinkholes,which are all over the property, under rather shady conditions of natural forest.There are a few dozen rare palms there but the speed of growth has generally been hampered by too much shade.Still an interesting place to visit though.

I did find this Copernicia fallaensis,though.At 65 years old,you would think it might be a little bigger.It doesn't appear to have produced any seed yet,probably due to the shade.

 

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

2015-11-08 12.53.44.jpg

2015-11-08 13.02.28.jpg

2015-11-08 12.57.02.jpg

Scott, are you growing this species in your garden?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztropic

Unfortunately, it's a big palm and I have no more room.For Copernicia, I already have examples of alba, baileyana, berteroana, cowelli, gigas, glabrescens, hospita, macroglossa, and rigida in the ground.It's a great species that does well under my desert conditions.The only Copernicia that I haven't been able to keep alive is ekmanii, which doesn't like cold at all.

 

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pal Meir

 

17 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

Very nice, I went there in the early 80's and was able to meet the owner at that time, Margeret Langlois. A very memorable trip.

 

My 2nd "real" palm book (monography on palms) was Supplement to Palms of the World by Arthur C. Langlois (1976).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scott Cohen
10 hours ago, Josh-O said:

Scott, are you growing this species in your garden?

This Scott does ^_^!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josh-O
2 hours ago, Scott Cohen said:

This Scott does ^_^!

any pictures?? I love this palm. I have a small 15 gal i put in the ground a couple months ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scott Cohen

what's your number? I have trouble posting but can text easily

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josh-O
16 hours ago, aztropic said:

Unfortunately, it's a big palm and I have no more room.For Copernicia, I already have examples of alba, baileyana, berteroana, cowelli, gigas, glabrescens, hospita, macroglossa, and rigida in the ground.It's a great species that does well under my desert conditions.The only Copernicia that I haven't been able to keep alive is ekmanii, which doesn't like cold at all.

 

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

 

my  ekmanii got whacked at 35F last year. It is still growing out of it and it's already winter time again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josh-O
9 hours ago, Scott Cohen said:

what's your number? I have trouble posting but can text easily

 

PM sent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mandrew968

Sorry to burst any bubbles, but that palm is a baileyana. No fallaensis picture has currently been posted in this thread...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
trioderob
14 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

Sorry to burst any bubbles, but that palm is a baileyana. No fallaensis picture has currently been posted in this thread...

thats brutal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • JANAIY
      By JANAIY
      Today I see a yellowing leave stem, it’s the 7th leave and some rust like spots. I don’t like it and am concerned. What is it and what should I do to stop it? 
      Since they like water not sure if she got too much. Hope somebody know Leo an assist?! 
       
       



    • aztropic
      By aztropic
      My Copernicia rigida finally seems to have taken off this year with our record breaking heat waves. It's actually been planted in that spot for about 10 years now from a small seedling,but has just begun producing its first few upright fronds.Its been very slow for me, (maybe too much shade) but I'm hopeful it has an accelerated growth rate from this point forward. 
       
      aztropic
      Mesa,Arizona


    • aztropic
      By aztropic
      It would appear so, but was due to an overdue cleanup...  Copernicia berteroana to its left not looking too shabby either!  Who knew these subtropical species would thrive in the Arizona desert?    
       
      aztropic
      Mesa,Arizona

    • aztropic
      By aztropic
      Had a Copernicia berteroana freeze and die this past winter,so a new planting space just opened up,in an already full garden.Decided to go with another species of Copernicia for the replacement.Here's a super blue yarey I grew from seed I collected in habitat,in Cuba.Let's see what it can do,now that it has space to stretch its roots!
       
      aztropic
      Mesa,Arizona

    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Still quarantining here in Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise), FL. And it's been a while since I posted any photos. I spent several weeks sewing masks and surgical caps for my son and daughter-in-law on the medical front lines as well as masks for my husband and me. It's also been hot and sweltering as well as drought stricken around here and because of that and that the monthly injection I give myself for chronic migraines ran out a week early, I was unable to spend much time outside. But..... We got a whopping 0.4" of rain this past week (the rest of the FL got 10x that) followed by one last gasp of cool, dry air and I was able to rectify my oversight and take some photos.
      About a month ago someone on PT asked me to take updated photos of my Caribbean Garden in front of the house. Around 95% of the palms in this garden come from that part of the world. The few interlopers are grandfathered in because they were planted before I adopted a unifying theme for this part of the yard. The genus Coccothrinax forms the backdrop. Some of them were planted as far back as 2004 and have weathered multiple hurricanes and tropical storms. If I were forced to plant only one genus of palm, Coccos would be my choice. They are tough yet elegant and the sight of those starlike leaves swaying with the breeze can brighten anyone's soul.
      Caribbean Garden Views, Cape Coral, FL, 2020

×
×
  • Create New...