Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Alicehunter2000

Is my Mule Sterile?

Recommended Posts

_Keith

Just gets worse from here, lol

alltherulesmendelian[1].jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josh-O
3 minutes ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Yes... I scraped the endocarp with my nail and revealed the white coconut meat (endosperm ). I also noted before I cut with bolt cutters that I had a functional pore as described on the illustration. 

throw some in a community pot, grow them up for 3 years and let us know what they look like.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alicehunter2000

I don't believe it is self pollinated ..... we come from the land of Butia odorata here .....probably literally 100's within a 10 mile radius. They all fruit profusely. My neighbors was flowering at the same time as my mule....less than 100ft. Away. Bees out the wazoo!  I believe this to be a (BxS)xB. This mule is constantly sending up spathes....many abort. I currently have a spathe where only maybe 10 seeds are developing....everything else aborted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pal Meir

Compared to my Lytocaryum seedling it would have already a very enlarged embryo?

566ccd670727c_SyagrusweddellianaIMG_0868

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alicehunter2000

Back when I was ordering hybrids from Patric, he explained to me that most mules are not receptive to foreign pollen but some are. As we all know mules are almost all self sterile. This is what I believe this mule to be (self-sterile). Mules that are receptive to outside pollen is much more likely. Patrick has a (or some) mules that he pollinate's with Jubaea, Butia, and Syagrus .... no one seems to question as to whether or not his "triple" hybrids will only show the characteristics of only a single species. I am curious as to why you all would think this seed (if developed) would only produce either a strait queen or strait butia?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alicehunter2000

Pal, you have the mescarp labled as endosperm on your illustration. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alicehunter2000

Endosperm is the white

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alicehunter2000

I think I just yanked the embryo out of the endosperm....it was even more white and you can see the hole it left.

20151212_201604.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TexasColdHardyPalms

The seed pictured above is able to germinate, no doubt about that.  If it came from your Mule then it was crossed back with another species.  Even the very few mules that don't abort the fruit will be completely solid, but not full size.  The same thing occurs to Butia that has been cross pollinated with Queen or Jubaea pollen, but didn't "take".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Mondel
2 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Compared to my Lytocaryum seedling it would have already a very enlarged embryo?

566ccd670727c_SyagrusweddellianaIMG_0868

Pal I think you're just a little confused. The seed on the right has not been sliced like the one on the left. The one on the right has only been cracked exposing the kernel. Inside the kernel is the endosperm and embryo. The cracked shell functions like a coconut husk protecting the kernel (embryo and endosperm). :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pal Meir
6 hours ago, Brad Mondel said:

Pal I think you're just a little confused. The seed on the right has not been sliced like the one on the left. The one on the right has only been cracked exposing the kernel. Inside the kernel is the endosperm and embryo. The cracked shell functions like a coconut husk protecting the kernel (embryo and endosperm). :)

Oh, now it’s clear. :D I didn’t think that the endocarp (shell) is soooo thick:blink: And I hadn’t seen the other photo with the endosperm (kernel) being crashed …:

566d511cf2d42_Mule20151212_201604.thumb.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moose
12 hours ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Back when I was ordering hybrids from Patric, he explained to me that most mules are not receptive to foreign pollen but some are. As we all know mules are almost all self sterile. This is what I believe this mule to be (self-sterile). Mules that are receptive to outside pollen is much more likely. Patrick has a (or some) mules that he pollinate's with Jubaea, Butia, and Syagrus .... no one seems to question as to whether or not his "triple" hybrids will only show the characteristics of only a single species. I am curious as to why you all would think this seed (if developed) would only produce either a strait queen or strait butia?

If you have a receptive Mule (and I believe you do), why not obtain Jubae pollen and start dusting her? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Mondel
4 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Oh, now it’s clear. :D I didn’t think that the endocarp (shell) is soooo thick:blink: And I hadn’t seen the other photo with the endosperm (kernel) being crashed …:

566d511cf2d42_Mule20151212_201604.thumb.

This is so exciting! :) cool illustration pal! I really enjoy these. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pal Meir

 

16 minutes ago, Brad Mondel said:

This is so exciting! :) cool illustration pal! I really enjoy these. 

Thanks, I was totally confused by the first photos, thinking that the blue-white outer part were the mesocarp … :blink: But now I can see that it is all together only the small seed. It would be interesting to get posted a pic showing the hole shape of the seed (with its endocarp/shell), if it looks like a round Butia seed or longer and not so smooth like a Syagrus:huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alicehunter2000

Thanks everyone for the input. Jubaea pollen would be hard to get, what I would really like to do would be a (BxS)xS ....

A reliably cold hardy 9a/8b queen-like paLM would be great for us up here in the cold north. Queen pollen should be easier to get as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josh-O
18 minutes ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Thanks everyone for the input. Jubaea pollen would be hard to get, what I would really like to do would be a (BxS)xS ....

A reliably cold hardy 9a/8b queen-like paLM would be great for us up here in the cold north. Queen pollen should be easier to get as well.

sounds like there is a possibility for this to work.

look like you have a cool up and coming pollination project.:greenthumb:

I'll be your first customer if you pull this off :drool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moose

Throw those seeds in a community pot and see what shakes out. I'll bet a couple of interesting muleys develope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave

Just plant some seeds, keep warm and wait for them to pop.

Some will, in my limited experience. My Mule of Doom has sex-buds somewhere. Here and there a seed sprouts.

Keith did any of the ones I sent you sprout? If not, or if yes, I'll send more when they're available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben in Norcal
9 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Just plant some seeds, keep warm and wait for them to pop.

Some will, in my limited experience. My Mule of Doom has sex-buds somewhere. Here and there a seed sprouts.

Keith did any of the ones I sent you sprout? If not, or if yes, I'll send more when they're available.

I am always happy to try and germinate some F2 Mulies as well Dave. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
_Keith

I called first dibs, lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DoomsDave

Ben and Keith:

I'll keep you both in mind. Cold hardy material is a top priority where you both are.

That said, I wish some seeds would come along. TONS of flowers (20 spend flower stalks!) no seed this year.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alicehunter2000

I have no problems sending some seeds yall's way. Really unsure how many would be viable....I didn't even clean them just waited for the ants and bugs to clean most of the pulp and threw them in a pot. When I get time, I will try and dig them out, clean properly and send ya'll some. Most all appear to be sinkers but since there was no attempt to purposely pollinate them....not sure the bees got to all of them. May cut a few more open to get an idea of percentage with embryo. I got two more spathes ready to open....wish I had some queen pollen.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben in Norcal

Thanks Dave and David!  I'm always looking for new germination projects, experiments, and - yes - cold hardy material!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moose

This has evolved into a very nice thread. 

Thanks David!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josh-O
11 hours ago, _Keith said:

I called first dibs, lol

beat you to it. read above :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben in Norcal
Just now, Josh-O said:

beat you to it. read above :lol:

Keith and I have greater needs. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Josh-O
2 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Keith and I have greater needs. :D

hehehehehehe:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Mondel

Don't forget about me ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
_Keith

I got money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phoenikakias
On 14/12/2015, 9:33:46, Alicehunter2000 said:

I have no problems sending some seeds yall's way. Really unsure how many would be viable....I didn't even clean them just waited for the ants and bugs to clean most of the pulp and threw them in a pot. When I get time, I will try and dig them out, clean properly and send ya'll some. Most all appear to be sinkers but since there was no attempt to purposely pollinate them....not sure the bees got to all of them. May cut a few more open to get an idea of percentage with embryo. I got two more spathes ready to open....wish I had some queen pollen.

Maybe, just maybe, I will be able to send to you Allagoptera pollen...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alicehunter2000

Bad news to report.....just got finished cracking open about 20 more seeds nothing but wood and some that looked like this. Remember I did not pollinate these seeds so I am still hopefull that it is possible since I found that one.....anyways I think it would be a waste of time and money to try and send these to you all. I got spathes opening constantly so I will try and intentionally pollinate some in the future. Sorry everyone. 

20151219_142919.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • ChrisA
      By ChrisA
      Hello Everybody,
       
      Driving back from San Antonio last weekend I was going through El Paso on I-10 and noticed a Taco Cabana. It is well known that this chain prefers to plant palms to add that tropical feel at their restaurant locations, but I was stunned when I examined more closely that there were three good-sized Queen Palms in the front hell-strip!  Google maps shows these as being planted after the terribly cold vortex that slammed the region in February 2011.  These were likely planted either later on in 2011 or in 2012. The December 2012 street view shows very young queen palms which grew greatly by 2015. Looks like they normally have the fronds singed in winter, although winter of 2019/2020 shows the fronds still quite green in February of 2020; and pretty good in 2019.
      I'm not great at detecting the difference between mules and Queen palms. Perhaps someone can verify if they are indeed pure Queens as I suspect?
       
      https://www.google.com/maps/@31.7821343,-106.4053766,3a,75y,305.53h,90.23t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sAXhpWujDT-ppUYjQN9krzw!2e0!5s20200201T000000!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en
       
      -Chris
    • Manalto
      By Manalto
      I'm not at the house at the moment but my neighbor sent me this photo of my mule palm that has been in the ground about a year. I guess it had blown over in the wind. He staked it for me.
      I noticed, the last time I was there and working in the yard, that it was wobbly. It's in the shade  in the early morning  but  gets full sun for the rest of the day. Are they known for having weak root systems? Any suggestions?

    • RJ
      By RJ
      So I don't tend to post many picks of hybrids I've purchased from Patric until I get a chance to get an idea of what they will look like. I've always really liked the Yatay mule that @_Keith has that is a showstopper. So I did purchase a few from Patric last year and they are now starting to go pinate.  However in talking with Patric he peaked my interest when he mentioned he had a Yatay X (Mule). Now from my understanding Mules tend to have sterile pollen so it's pretty interesting that patric has pulled this cross off. After a few questions directed at patric and a little digging the mule pollen came from one of two palms that @Gtlevine has in his amazing garden. These mules are the offspring of a huge mule that was created by the late Dr. Wilcox and was sent to HBG in Ca. This mule for some reason has viable seeds, or at least some are. Garry germinated two of them and has them growing in his garden- one of them is the daddy to this hybrid.  (Hopefully I have this linage correct)
       
      So I purchased this palm last year from Patric as a 5g plant. As is par for the course, it arrived in excellent shape and I received it in the end of July 2018. I potted it up into a 15g and it has never looked back since. I have not tested this palm in the cold but I would venture to guess given the genetics that this palm is at least a tad but more cold hardy then a traditional mule which tend to be reliable to the mid to upper teens depending on the genetics of specific plant. Given that this palm should be a tad more hardy. It's not as soft as a mule but not nearly as rigid as a typical butia. My hunch is this might be a great alternative to those who can't quite pull off a mule reliably.  I have this plant in 80% sun.  
       
      Here it is Last July 25th 2018 in a 5g:
       
       
       


       
      October 25th  2018

       
      August 20th 2019

    • Hferrell87
      By Hferrell87
      Hello all, 
      I have three (3) Butia's that were all labeled as Capitata, but chose all different looking ones to see if one produced a better looking Mule over the others. Fast forward to now and 2 of the 3 have now flowered and they are drastically different. Could one of these be "Odorata"? The Butia palm shown in full pushed the bright maroon flower and will follow up with a picture of the other Butia later.
      Any information is much appreciated...
      Thank you!
      Halley Ferrell
      Central Florida Bamboo and Palms



    • sevapalms
      By sevapalms
      5 years ago, before I knew much about palms, I got a mule palm as a 2 leaf seedling. I read that they were hardy to zone 8a, and given I am in that zone, I thought it would be a good choice. I did not realize that many mules do not survive zone 8a winter temperatures, and definitely not record lows in my area.
      I decided to plant it anyway last week, and protect it when temperatures reach 18-19 degrees, which happens a couple of times in a typical winter. The soil in my area is extremely poorly draining clay, so I decided to plant it in a mound. About 1/4 of the rootball is below the normal soil level. The reason it is hurricane cut is because of a fungal issue.
      Any tips would be appreciated!
×
×
  • Create New...