IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

California winter is here

enigma99

Look at this... a little too early for this to be happening. Once we get into an el nino pattern and storms come from the Pacific, it should be more mild. We won't have any freezing temps from this, but it will be chilly! brrr. Hopefully this pattern will change soon!

e5lkr8.jpg

Edited by enigma99

Freeze/frost watch for Thanksgiving... depending on the angle it comes in on at. Might have to bring my coconut in around then

Edited by enigma99

Everything starts around 11/27.  Every time the models update it gets worse..... Going to be coming in from the Northeast, which is really rare and always guarantees a freeze when the Ocean isn't able to help out

2 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Everything starts around 11/27.  Every time the models update it gets worse..... Going to be coming in from the Northeast, which is really rare and always guarantees a freeze when the Ocean isn't able to help out

We may have rain that might forestall that cold air mass.......that would be a Happy Thanksgiving....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

GFS 850 models come out at 9AM and 9PM PST. The one that generated last night showed an improvement so weather sites updated their temps likewise. Will continue to monitor as we get closer to Thanksgiving

Edited by enigma99

After a bit of a retreat last night, latest GFS showing it is pushing east so we might be fine after all 

Looks like the worst of it comes in early Thursday. Going to take measures to protect my stuff becusse it will be dropping below freezing for me. 

27-28F this morning. Tonight looks bad too...

I see NOAA has issued freeze warnings for parts of SoCal like Temecula etc tonight. 

...FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT TONIGHT FOR PORTIONS OF THE VALLEYS 
AND DESERTS... 

...FREEZE WATCH IN EFFECT FOR SUNDAY NIGHT FOR PORTIONS OF THE 
VALLEYS AND LOWER DESERTS... 

.A COLD AIR MASS AND DRIER CONDITIONS WILL RESULT IN COLD NIGHTS 
OVER PORTIONS OF THE DESERTS AND VALLEYS...WHERE FROSTS AND 
FREEZES WILL BE POSSIBLE THROUGH MONDAY MORNING. LOW TEMPERATURES 
WILL RISE EARLY NEXT WEEK. 

...FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 8 AM PST SUNDAY... 

...FREEZE WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY 
MORNING... 

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SAN DIEGO HAS ISSUED A FREEZE 
WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 8 AM PST SUNDAY. A 
FREEZE WATCH HAS ALSO BEEN ISSUED. THIS FREEZE WATCH IS IN EFFECT 
FROM LATE SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY MORNING. THE FREEZE WATCH 
IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT. 

* LOCATION...CENTRAL AND EASTERN SAN DIEGO COUNTY 
VALLEYS...INCLUDING VALLEY CENTER...RAMONA...JAMUL...ALPINE... 
RAINBOW...SAN DIEGO COUNTRY ESTATES...AND THE CENTRAL AND 
EASTERN INLAND EMPIRE... INCLUDING TEMECULA...HEMET... 
PERRIS...MORENO VALLEY AND LAKE ELSINORE. LOCAL FROST 
CONDITIONS POSSIBLE ELSEWHERE IN THE INLAND EMPIRE. 

* DURATION...SEVERAL HOURS OF SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES TONIGHT 
AND SUNDAY NIGHT. 

* TEMPERATURES...27 TO 32 DEGREES F. 

* IMPACTS...TEMPERATURES THIS LOW CAN HARM UNPROTECTED CROPS... 
SENSITIVE PLANTS...AND PETS. 

* OUTLOOK...SOME WARMING IS EXPECTED BY MONDAY NIGHT.

Edited by enigma99

My low was 39 last night and I expect the same for tonite.....hopefully....

John Case

Brentwood CA

44 minutes ago, John Case said:

My low was 39 last night and I expect the same for tonite.....hopefully....

Hopefully upper 30s is all you get. Tonight the wind is expected to be calm so that's why all the warnings were issued. 

54 minutes ago, enigma99 said:

Hopefully upper 30s is all you get. Tonight the wind is expected to be calm so that's why all the warnings were issued. 

My low was around 40...but I had some light breeze doing some mixing.  I think tonight is going to be significantly worse.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Here in MIssion Viejo in Orange County the NWS is forecasting 38F, 3C. That is with partial cloud cover. Could have been 34F , 1C if clear.  I'll warm up the grotto pool for the Bottle and Spindle nearby. Frost cloth already in place for my smaller Pritchardias with no canopy. Yep, unfortunately, winter is here.

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

Ugly...looks like we dipped just under freezing for an hour, but up at 35 degrees now...down the hill in Walnut Creek, in the valley, they are still showing mid-20s all over the place.

Crazy weather!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I had a brief dip into sub freezing temps this am.

My low was 31.1f, not bad , but enough to fry about half of my banana tree leaves.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

I had 5 hours of sub 30 temps :(

This year has been a bad one for me. The hilltops around haven't hit 32F or anywhere near it so far this year. I need to get to higher ground.. Good news though my propane seemed to keep everything alive enough. Guess time will tell until I can see damage 

This really sucks!:rant:

Now that I grow palm trees I don't really enjoy the cold weather. 

I think I'm morphing into a palm tree :blush:... probably into a cocoNUT.

Last November and December most nights were lows in the 50s. (and upper 40s) Now the pattern is super dry and cold and no change is currently in sight. Next shot of cold air coming Dec 13

Going to be a long winter I'm afraid

Edited by enigma99

Our low of the day was at 6 am 33 degrees......may see some warming later this week with some rain....

John Case

Brentwood CA

While we've been freezing our butts off, Chicago is still Zone 10 so far this year and looks to continue the trend for at least the next 2 weeks. What the heck? I'm ready for normal California weather :)

• Upvote 1

Well, I will correct my post. Chicago hit 13F about 10 days ago. Still, needs to warm up here!

• Upvote 1

Tue night could be a little cold in some areas. At this point, my bananas already got burned from the freak Thanksgiving freeze that was a direct hit for NorCal, so I don't care that much now. The first freeze is always the hardest

With high pressure sitting off the coast of California, it is going to keep pulling in arctic air for the next couple of weeks at least. (Since it rotates air clockwise) 

Edited by enigma99

2 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Tue night could be a little cold in some areas. At this point, my bananas already got burned from the freak Thanksgiving freeze that was a direct hit for NorCal, so I don't care that much now. The first freeze is always the hardest

With high pressure sitting off the coast of California, it is going to keep pulling in arctic air for the next couple of weeks at least. (Since it rotates air clockwise) 

My lows for next week keep moving up.  If they are accurate, doesn't look like any risk of a freeze.

Ben Rogers

3 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

My lows for next week keep moving up.  If they are accurate, doesn't look like any risk of a freeze.

The first wave hitting Monday got moderated by the ocean. Actually next Sunday is going to be about 1C cooler in the upper atmosphere then Tuesday but we are supposed to have clouds so it will actually be a lot warmer. This is nothing like Thanksgiving though. That was horrible 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, enigma99 said:

The first wave hitting Monday got moderated by the ocean. Actually next Sunday is going to be about 1C cooler in the upper atmosphere then Tuesday but we are supposed to have clouds so it will actually be a lot warmer. This is nothing like Thanksgiving though. That was horrible 

My naners are still looking good!  You got dinged worse than me...

Ben Rogers

My lows for tues are forecasted for right at 32f. After that it goes up to the mid/upper 30's going forward.

12 hours ago, Shon said:

I hope it changes you've been spot on so far enigma. My forecast keeps getting worse. Mon thru Wed are terrible. 

Models are not really reliable beyond 3 days but it looks like Monday and Tuesday won't be that bad and then will warm up from there. Except there will be some radiative cooling on Monday and Tuesday nights, so the low cold spots might dip below freezing. Monday night I think it will be wet enough that it won't be that cold, but Tuesday is day 2 of the dry north winds and will probably lower the dew points a bit more so my location will probably drop below 32. (Fingers crossed - NOAA is saying 32)

Also the models are showing next weekend's cold air mass will get completely moderated from the ocean and we'll see lows in the 40s not 30s. Thank goodness! Maybe this is a sign things are finally starting to turn around pattern wise. 

Edited by enigma99

On 12/12/2015 12:51:34, Pando said:

I agree that winter is here! 'Cause my coconut is changing to fall colors.

Nooooooo!

Is it doomed?

This next week will be chilly. The forecast says its gonna be breezy with temp of low 60s for the highs. I got tired of risking it so I brought my cocos inside until the forecast looks better. They are opening new fronds right now and haven't slowed too much even though they were outside when temps were in the high 30's and low 40's for a few nights.

Coconuts are annuals around here, didn't you know? :lol:

Well it looked great until a few days ago, and now you can kind of tell that the fronds have this ghostly, darker, strange look to them... Probably turning into a black stem. No picture.

• Upvote 1

Ugh that was kinda bad last night. Had all that rain so everything was soaking wet and hit around 32f for about an hour. Hopefully everything will be fine 

Now the next 2 days are going to be fun!

There is a colder storm coming in right after Christmas. We just can't catch a break :( maybe the models will change as it is a couple weeks out

Edited by enigma99