IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Danilopez89

Went looking for pure Washingtonia Filifera...

I ended up at the San Andreas fault line :bemused:

Felt kinda awkward in the beginning. Just knowing that you are standing on a giant crack in the middle of earth...

These groves can actually be found all along the San Andreas fault line all the way down to Baja California. The weak fault line provides a way for water to come up from the earth and provide these palm oases with plenty of water. They are different from the Palm Springs Filifera oases because those in PS get water from the melted snow on top of mountainsB)

Enjoy!

IMG_20151110_25344.thumb.jpg.f16f4f86f52

• Upvote 2

Thumbs up on the new Palmtalk update! Easy easy easy!

THANKS!

Edit: oops I spoke to early. I dont know why its playing random filifera videos now...

Edited by Danilopez89

Is that last one a robusta or hybrid?  I thought filifera were unarmed.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

15 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Sometimes they can stay unarmed while they are young.

Here's a little one

IMG_20151110_48429.thumb.jpg.da970a35b58

35 minutes ago, Danilopez89 said:

IMG_20151110_8538.thumb.jpg.647d47c7bb97

IMG_20151110_48549.thumb.jpg.a2736afb0aa

Its was a filijungle in there:wub:

The only thing missing in the jungle was a cool tiki drink. 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

10 hours ago, Danilopez89 said:

IMG_20151110_47276.thumb.jpg.ad08e5f2193

IMG_20151110_36827.thumb.jpg.95ad3788611

IMG_20151110_22351.thumb.jpg.cb1c3f2b9d9

The ones with the skirts burned off are supposed to be the really old ones. I was told the Native Americans would burn them off for higher fruit production. 

How old do you guys think they are. I think the guide told me about 100 years old...

13 hours ago, Danilopez89 said:

IMG_20151110_7135.thumb.jpg.d19405172670

Copernicia who!?:winkie:

Now honestly, how many of us would say freely that it is a pure fili, were we not aware of details about this picture? Many people, far to many people confuse actually scars or signs of desication on OLDEST leaves as colororation indicating a filibusta!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sandy Loam said:

Nice.  Danny, what is the name of the park/preserve where you shot the video?

Its in Thousand Palm Ca. 

North of Palm Desert / Rancho Mirage

Some more pictures of this place can be found in http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Washingtonia_filifera

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Great pics. My family began visiting that oasis in the summer when my oldest son was 5. We last visited when he was 13. I know every nook and cranny of that oasis well, and it is (in my mind) equal to the redwoods in awesomeness. That place place is full of wildlife too. We've seen coyotes, whiptails, and desert quail; we've also seen bobcat tracks there. I reckon some of those trees are over 150 years old.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2015‎ ‎8‎:‎21‎:‎57‎, Ben in Norcal said:

Not at all.....I have been attacked many times by rogue filiferas....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

2 hours ago, John Case said:

Not at all.....I have been attacked many times by rogue filiferas....

Huh.  Some of those look very robusta-like to me, apart from the armament.  I'm beginning to wonder if it is worth growing out the filifera seedlings I germinated.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Huh.  Some of those look very robusta-like to me, apart from the armament.  I'm beginning to wonder if it is worth growing out the filifera seedlings I germinated.

I also think robusta of fillabuster.

Washingtonia Filifera  have much larger trunks in general.

Washingtonia-filifera.jpg

Sunset zone 24

15 hours ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

Great pics. My family began visiting that oasis in the summer when my oldest son was 5. We last visited when he was 13. I know every nook and cranny of that oasis well, and it is (in my mind) equal to the redwoods in awesomeness. That place place is full of wildlife too. We've seen coyotes, whiptails, and desert quail; we've also seen bobcat tracks there. I reckon some of those trees are over 150 years old.

I thought it was a very cool place too. I hope to go back many more times.

Do you plan on visiting this place again? 

32 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

Not all of them get super fat. Once they reach a certain height the trunks begin to look smaller too.

I am also curious if some of the palms in this oasis are filibusta. The first pic I posted screams out rubusta!

7 hours ago, Danilopez89 said:

I thought it was a very cool place too. I hope to go back many more times.

Do you plan on visiting this place again? 

I'd love to do so, but we moved to Florida this year, and I highly doubt there will be money in our budget for a return to Palm Springs in the near future. If you go back, try going in the middle of summer and arrive at dawn. My son and I were able to watch two huge coyotes hunt along the rocky hillside while we stood deep within the oasis by visiting at that time; we were the only people on the trails too.

8 hours ago, Josh-O said:

See now that looks great.  If my plants look like that, I'd be happy to have them.  Some of Daniel's pictures look more "robusta" to me - thin trunked, bright green fronds, etc.  They don't do it for me in the same way as this plant.

Ben Rogers

47 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

See now that looks great.  If my plants look like that, I'd be happy to have them.  Some of Daniel's pictures look more "robusta" to me - thin trunked, bright green fronds, etc.  They don't do it for me in the same way as this plant.

Pictures dont do these palms justice. specially with my phones pictures. 

Here's a pic I tool a while back at a different oasis. Notice the lady down there for comparison. 

IMG_20151113_33261.thumb.jpg.6351cb057ba

• Upvote 1

Another reason for these trunks not being super fat is because they stretch out a bit more inside these oases. They have to grow through that dense canopy. And actually many small palms dont make it because there is not enough sunlight for them down there.

12 minutes ago, Danilopez89 said:

Pictures dont do these palms justice. specially with my phones pictures. 

Here's a pic I tool a while back at a different oasis. Notice the lady down there for comparison. 

IMG_20151113_33261.thumb.jpg.6351cb057ba

that does look  Filifera to me..I think your right with the angle of the camera phone.

those tree's must be ancient?

Sunset zone 24