IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Livistona Nitida vs. L. Decora vs. L. Rigida vs. L. Chinensis

Sandy Loam

Thanks Keith.  I have a few 20g chilensis and 10g nitida that I plan on planting in favorable spots next year to test their ability to survive long term up here. The dry cold doesn't seem to bother the robusta here, it is the wicked ice storms and rapid fluctuations in temperature that seem to hurt them the most. Almost all robusta that made it through 2010 were on the south side of a building with virtally all of the 15'+ trees dying outright. My hope is that strategically located livistona would survive as well 

A knowledgeable landscaper told me that, based on his experience in Tallahassee, livistona chinensis is more bud-hardy than washingtonia robusta, even though its leaves might be more delicate and therefore more easily damaged by a winter freeze. He said that livistona chinensis always bounces back better because of its bud-hardiness.

21 hours ago, Opal92 said:

Yes, the ad naseum mass plantings of some of those species gives a huge playground for these pests/diseases...

Sago palm is already on it's way to being killed off. 7 years ago, as far as I was concerned, asian cycad scale was something only for South Florida. Never saw it anywhere up here. Now it is all over the place even into Pensacola. There's already 2 on the college campus I'm at that are in the final stages of infestation and literally dying.

I saw what appeared to be a bad case of Asian cycad scale on a sago in New Orleans a few years back. Sagos here in Tallahassee don't seem to be affected much, yet.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Just uploaded some of my Livistona pics in this thread.   Don't want to duel post, but take a look here if interested.  

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 4 months later...

Here's what the 3 clump of Livistona I described earlier in this thread looks like now. Amazing recovery after the 2 back to back winters of upper teens. I had a dim view of L. chinensis growing in this zone before, but to now see how bud hardy they are makes me willing to try some in the future.

Before

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.524843,-86.45195,3a,51.6y,20.99h,82.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRqjTefKOMtTCjoYfDppGtw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Today (this past weekend)

IMG_6819.thumb.JPG.e4d235ab9077ce691db05

7 hours ago, Opal92 said:

Here's what the 3 clump of Livistona I described earlier in this thread looks like now. Amazing recovery after the 2 back to back winters of upper teens. I had a dim view of L. chinensis growing in this zone before, but to now see how bud hardy they are makes me willing to try some in the future.

Before

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.524843,-86.45195,3a,51.6y,20.99h,82.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRqjTefKOMtTCjoYfDppGtw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Today (this past weekend)

IMG_6819.thumb.JPG.e4d235ab9077ce691db05

Wow, impressive recovery. I would like to try it but it's said that is a very slow growing species.

08053.gif

3 hours ago, Sanips said:

Wow, impressive recovery. I would like to try it but it's said that is a very slow growing species.

From what I've heard they speed up when they start trunking. I had a small, knee-high one for several years that went at turtle's pace.

• Upvote 1