• Similar Content

• JohnAndSancho
      By JohnAndSancho
      I potted up my Lyto seedlings in as close to the Pal Meir mix as I could get. I used Monto Clay (yes, i spent too much money) and some Repti Bark at a 2:1 bark to clay ratio. I put them in 6" clay pots and was super careful with the roots because these plants were kind of expensive.....
      How soon should I fertilize or add plant food? They are super tiny, one still had part of the seed attached until I popped it out of the liner pot. I have Carl Pool palm food and Alaska liquid fish fertilizer. I also have a bottle of Super Thrive. I've never opened it but I did place the unopened bottle next to a struggling houseplant and it's since recovered 

I also fixed one of my rookie mistakes on the Cataractarum. I had mixed some fine "top dressing" sand in the soil - welp, the sand all clumped up and clogged all the drainage holes in the pot, so - every time i watered it, it would look normal and then all of a sudden, it flooded out the bottom of the pot. The plant has really been suffering, so I popped the saucer off the bottom, cleaned it all out, and just repotted this one in the potting soil I had on my porch. (Fox Farm Ocean Forest) My other cataractum is in the same soil (with no sand lol) and it's growing like a weed. 

My project for my next day off is to split my 3 Howeas up and give them each their own 2 gal pot. Would the fir bark/super overpriced Turface be a good potting mix for them too? 

Thanks for any support and advice y'all can offer me. 

• Pal Meir
      By Pal Meir
      As the night temps fell down to -4°C in Balconia Germanica I gave my palms asylum inside my living room, here Lytocaryum insigne N°1401 lit by a 50W halogen lamp:

• Pal Meir
      By Pal Meir
      Please post a pic of your nicest (or only one) Lytocaryum insigne (Syagrus insignis)!
      This here is my favorite:

• Pal Meir
      By Pal Meir
      For hybrides with Cocos nucifera or else!

• Pal Meir
      By Pal Meir
      According to the palm literature Lytocaryum weddellianum grows at altitudes between 50 and 800 m and Lytocaryum insigne from 1000 to 1800 m (Noblick 2017). But those limitations seem to be not correct. Below four habitat photos showing L insigne at c. 500 m and L weddellianum at c. 900 m (and 1200 m imo):

This palm is imo also L weddellianum, but I am not sure: