IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lytocaryum: Syagrus insignis vs. S. weddellianum

Pal Meir

8 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Mohsen, I think you mean your coconut which I guess might become pinnate with its 5th or 6th leaf when you can give it more direct sun. I had to wait 2 years and a half with my L insigne:asleep:

Pal,

I meant my L insigne ( or hybrid) which they have only 2 bifids so far 

8 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Pal,

I meant my L insigne ( or hybrid) which they have only 2 bifids so far 

A normal bifid leaf (= symmetrical to both sides) is very uncommon for Lytocaryum :huh:. Could you post a pic?

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

3 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

A normal bifid leaf (= symmetrical to both sides) is very uncommon for Lytocaryum :huh:. Could you post a pic?

Forgive my Confusion about using terms:blush:...I meant simple ( not pinnate) leaves ...

12 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Forgive my Confusion about using terms:blush:...I meant simple ( not pinnate) leaves ...

I forgive you your simple and not bifid sin :innocent:. — In my table posted before concerning the eophylls and 2nd leaves of L weddellianum I counted one eophyll with »2 leaflets« and two 2nd leaves with »2 leaflets«. Even those »2 leaflets« did not mean »bifid«, but »1 leaflet + 1 undivided rest«.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, dalmatiansoap said:

Hello from Makarska :)

IMAG7746_zpsct6lritg.jpg

Congratulations! :greenthumb::) You have a real summer and so I guess your L insigne will speed up like a rocket. :D

Do you know if it is also the 10th leaf that is getting pinnate?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7.11.2015, 14:52:45, Flow said:

I have bought Lytocaryum insigne seeds twice from RPS.

When I bought the first batch in late 2014, I did some reading here on palmtalk and emailed Pal since I was under the impression he was quite knowledgeable about Lytocaryum. He gave me his soil mixture recipe and some additional tips and as a result all 8 germinated seeds quickly developed their first leaf. They are not very fast but growing nicely. I subesquently gave many away to some EPS members, both from the frist and the second batch and only kept two from the first batch and two from the second.

Soon, I began to realize that the seedlings from the second batch looked different, i.e. they had a pinnate first eophyll. I have come to the conclusion that the second badge were weddelianum. I emailed RPS but got no answer.

The L. insigne on the picture was outside this summer. The other remaining one stayed inside and grew a bit faster but also a bit etiolated.

DSC_0107.jpg

Hello @Flow, how are your two Lytos doing? Could you post an update.

Hi Pal

I am afraid it hasn't grown all that much. I cannot offer it the same professional care as you. I repotted it this spring and added a wee bit more organic matter because I can't water it every day and thought that way the subtrate would hold a bit more water. It doesn't seem to mindfar and looks healthy enough I think. It just isn't very fast.

DSC_0025.thumb.jpg.f47702254794ee0528e9c

DSC_0026.thumb.jpg.db9dc84cbb3776f857bc7

cheers

Edited by Flow
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Flow said:

Hi Pal

I am afraid it hasn't grown all that much. I cannot offer it the same professional care as you. I repotted it this spring and added a wee bit more organic matter because I can't water it every day and thought that way the subtrate would hold a bit more water. It doesn't seem to mindfar and looks healthy enough I think. It just isn't very fast.

cheers

Hello Flow, it’s looking healthy, the growth is a bit slower, that’s all. But what about your L weddellianum? Did it accept the mineral-rich L insigne soil mix?

The weddeliana did accept it but are slow too and I know they can be much faster, so I am going to have to figure out something there..

14 hours ago, Flow said:

The weddeliana did accept it but are slow too and I know they can be much faster, so I am going to have to figure out something there..

I am still interested how it looks like. I am trying to grow a couple L weddellianum as small bonsai. Maybe a soil mix without humus could reduce the size. So I would like to see a pic of that L weddellianum: It could be that it has very nice short deep green fronds, I imagine … :indifferent:

So here's the poor thing. Well, it looks okay but it is tiny and as slow as a slug. I have another one outside which is about the same size and speed. I repotted this one too but with considerably more organic matter than the insignis.DSC_0032_6.thumb.JPG.aedf3c6d4d4695d3f0d

Edited by Flow
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Flow said:

So here's the poor thing. Well, it looks okay but it is tiny and as slow as a slug. I have another one outside which is about the same size and speed. I repotted this one too but with considerably more organic matter than the insignis.

Try to keep it as small bonsai for your (northern) windowsill, I would recommend, … or for your desk-top! :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@Pal MeirI've received these seeds, can you determine what they are, I've been told they are lytocaryum syagrus itapirense, but im confused :crying:

received_658280845019666.jpeg

21 minutes ago, palmad Merc said:

@Pal MeirI've received these seeds, can you determine what they are, I've been told they are lytocaryum syagrus itapirense, but im confused :crying:

S itapebiensis seeds look like these:

1054949788_N16002016-03-29P1010370.thumb.jpg.d3e3699f9a64c3aa2caa9f2c274a4ba0.jpg

Yours are seeds of S weddelliana or S insignis:

1706303707_02LytocaryumSeeds20112013.thumb.jpg.aef893602045912eeadb4efd91ea3cee.jpg

1004661189_03LytocaryumSeedsIMG_8238.thumb.jpg.102a8e832e999059e35cc89530a7ac1c.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Doing nicely after all these years, perfect potted specimens. 

I’ve got weddellianum and hoehnei planted out and they are just as well behaved in the garden.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Both beautiful palms! Especially the L/S insigne, on my wish list!

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

• 2 months later...