IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Holy Grail" palms by region.................................

trioderob

this thread is about the "holy grail " of palms but the catch is that its by region

so in other words the ultimate rare palm that is viable long term in your area.

so it will be different in Hawaii than it is for Cali

it will be different for Florida than it is for the true equatorial tropics 

now there are no absolutes but common sense states that if you can grow a vibrant "double coconut" is going to be way up on the list.

now to kick it off - for southern California its the Coperncia species - more spefically  the copernicia fallensis

this is a spectacular palm which can survive long term in Cali and was rarely planted

your turn...................

The Holy Grail is a dish, plate, stone, or cup that is part of an important theme of Arthurian literature. According to legend, it has special powers, and is designed to provide happiness, eternal youth and food in infinite abundance.

Edited by trioderob

Copernicia glabrescens.....

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Geonoma undata,

Disclaimer, the leafbase color is not so intense in the last few years, as the palm has grown taller.

Geonoma undata.jpg

• Upvote 5

San Francisco, California

00a67efac1c722b1ad327cdf730ac8fb.jpg

"From noiseful arms, and acts of prowess done
In tournament or tilt, Sir Percivale,
Whom Arthur and his knighthood called The Pure,
Had passed into the silent life of prayer,
Praise, fast, and alms; and leaving for the cowl
The helmet in an abbey far away
From Camelot, there, and not long after, died "

Edited by trioderob
  • Upvote 1

Cool thread! I'd say it's Beccariophoenix alfredii for my current location. 

• Upvote 2

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Copernicia rigida. Saw them in Cuba, fell  in love. Unavailable here but I just bought seeds from RPS a couple months ago. We'll see.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I do not have one yet but I would say a Tahina spectabilis. I am looking for one, and will have it one day hopefully.

Edited by Palmaceae
  • Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Probably for me.....Copernicia cowellii.

• Upvote 2

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I have a tough time answering this one as "holy grail" palm is defined, since generally any palm that can be easily grown here does not seem that special to me.  But then I like tropical palms, and basically all of these are either marginal or way too cold sensitive for my location.  Bismarcks are really nice and I am always impressed when I see Archontophoenix cunninghamiana.

I was going to say a really fat well-grown royal or a tall coconut with a full crown, but then coconuts are not fully cold hardy here and royals are technically marginal in this area.  I think royals can qualify though, so that will be my answer.

• Upvote 1

I really do not have issues with my climate.With two distinct gardens I can theoretically grow just about any palm.My problem here is lack of availability.I have to grow everything from seed so probably a very slow growing palm like Copernicia baileyana with a few feet of trunk would be my holy grail palm for my beach garden.

• Upvote 2

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Dypsis Black Stem!

(had to do it before Moose pays a visit here)    :mrlooney:

Glad you got it out of the way right from the get go

I have a tough time answering this one as "holy grail" palm is defined, since generally any palm that can be easily grown here does not seem that special to me.  But then I like tropical palms, and basically all of these are either marginal or way too cold sensitive for my location.  Bismarcks are really nice and I am always impressed when I see Archontophoenix cunninghamiana.

I was going to say a really fat well-grown royal or a tall coconut with a full crown, but then coconuts are not fully cold hardy here and royals are technically marginal in this area.  I think royals can qualify though, so that will be my answer.

well there are palms that are easily grown  but just were not planted  - copernicia and dypsis grow here but nobody brought them in during the olden times so there are very few huge ones

Already have my holy grail palm, this one will do fine.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Already have my holy grail palm, this one will do fine.

Definitely the holy grail of all the fan palms that can be grown here. 

Keith 

In the srilankan climate but outside the official botanic gardens,

It means: in Doranakanda gardens and other srilankan palm-addict's : Lodoicea maldivica :)

It should grow like weeds in the jungle if only we were lucky to get seeds.

• Upvote 2

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

It means: in Doranakanda gardens and other srilankan palm-addict's : Lodoicea maldivica :)

When I saw the topic, Lodoicea immediately came to mind, but when I saw that Philippe had posted, I knew he had beaten me to it. - gmp

Hawaii

Lodoicea maldivica.jpg

• Upvote 4

Here probably any royal. Small are very sensitive but bigger ones may prove very reliable. Problem is that we don't have big ones for sale. If I wanted however to be more generous, I would say any crownshafted palm...

When I saw the topic, Lodoicea immediately came to mind, but when I saw that Philippe had posted, I knew he had beaten me to it. - gmp

Hawaii

Lodoicea maldivica.jpg

George,

Are these beauties growing in your garden? 

I am sure that srilankan gardens would be fine for Lodoicea, but:……..

Philippe

Philippe,

This is one of three Lodoicea maldivica that I planted in my old garden here in Leilani Estates in November 1999. (Thanks George for posting photo! :) ).

Bo-Göran

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Any JxS or a mature Jubaea or Trithrinax Campestris with several feet of trunk.

Edited by TexasColdHardyPalms

Philippe,

This is one of three Lodoicea maldivica that I planted in my old garden here in Leilani Estates in November 1999. (Thanks George for posting photo! :) ).

Bo-Göran

Since long time (of my life with Palmtalk) I believe hawaiian gardens are the most lucky places for palm collections.
You know 
already how deeply jealous I am. :)

BTW: did you start with a seed or a seedling? (is that possible?)

Philippe

Bactris pickelii, probably the most incredibly velvet leafed palm of all. A relic of very few remaining individuais, from sugarcane almost swalloed Northeast Brazil Atlantic coastal forest. A slow growing gem, usually under darker canopies and usually entire leafed in early stages

I showed Al in Kona a couple small seedlings a few weeks ago, during his visit and he was surprised to the palm blade nice touch, especially under the leaf. I'll post a picture of my seedling soon, in case Al could also post some images he took.

• Upvote 1

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Philippe,

Bo-Göran

The picture was taken in Spring 2009, so it gives you an idea of how slow these can be - even in Hawaii - gmp

Philippe,

De Armand Hull (of Miami, at the time) was in Seychelles in September 1999 and acquired a number of Lodoicea seeds and had them shipped back to the USA. I was fortunate to acquire three seeds and received them in Nov 1999 and planted them right away. If I recall correctly, the first one to germinate did so in about nine months. And in other words - all three seeds germinated.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Philippe,

De Armand Hull (of Miami, at the time) was in Seychelles in September 1999 and acquired a number of Lodoicea seeds and had them shipped back to the USA. I was fortunate to acquire three seeds and received them in Nov 1999 and planted them right away. If I recall correctly, the first one to germinate did so in about nine months. And in other words - all three seeds germinated.

Bo-Göran

Thanks for explanations, here some pictures in Peradeniya which should remind you the youth of your Lodoicea:

So many seeds in Peradeniya, so many juvenile palms there!

DSCN4539.thumb.JPG.7c9ccc1a6425062516399
DSCN4543.thumb.JPG.36729b7eccb9e4ac26e93
P1010386.thumb.JPG.49228152042da221bff53
P1010388.thumb.JPG.2dad078f9994a50531769
P1010389.thumb.JPG.6ba283fc16102f984711d
P1010390.thumb.JPG.0be74fcb64da6eda93f51
P1010396.thumb.JPG.e306f45f92fa1745acd3e
P1010383.thumb.JPG.740bf70a3c4ab851b918d

• Upvote 2

Philippe

Just ONE Holy Grail Palm?

How does one define one? As something that makes normal people as well as palm nuts swoon? As something very hard to come by? Or a combination of both, perhaps along with other traits others might suggest?

For starters, Teddy Bears and Tri-Bears. Those colors, that fuzz, that bold shape in the landscape. Common, sort of but everyone loves to look at them.

Hmm. I'll offer a Holy Grail Complex: The large Dypsis, including Mealy Bug, Dark Mealy Bug, Prestoniana, Carlsmithii. Truly great specimens are tough to find here in Cali.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

here is a crazy idea but maybe just maybe a large adult Marojejya darianii would servive a transplant in Cali

am i nutz ????

Gotta be Pritchardia Viscosa for me

palm_tc_165572_2.jpg

That would certainly be [yet another] candidate here, too! :yay:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dypsis Black Stem!

(had to do it before Moose pays a visit here)    :mrlooney:

Glad you got it out of the way right from the get go

So rain on my parade, why not. <_<

I gotta say the Crytostachys hybrid for those in Palm Beach county on up to the I-4 corridor line in Florida.

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Gotta be Pritchardia Viscosa for me

palm_tc_165572_2.jpg

Nice! Too bad they're so hard to come by. Hopefully the few that are in private gardens start seeding soon so more people can try this species out. 

Keith 

Bactris pickelii, probably the most incredibly velvet leafed palm of all. A relic of very few remaining individuais, from sugarcane almost swalloed Northeast Brazil Atlantic coastal forest. A slow growing gem, usually under darker canopies and usually entire leafed in early stages

I showed Al in Kona a couple small seedlings a few weeks ago, during his visit and he was surprised to the palm blade nice touch, especially under the leaf. I'll post a picture of my seedling soon, in case Al could also post some images he took.

Very interesting.

It gets pretty cold here, so I'll just say I'd like to grow a Jubaea chilensis. I think it would be a showstopper.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b