IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How Bout a 'Color' thread?

realarch

14 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Nice Jason!

Thanks Jim. While these might be a “common” palm here in Hilo, it’s still a favorite of mine and I almost need to pinch myself when I consider that I now live in a place where I can grow these.  I have several planted around my yard here but this is my largest. Not a fast growing palm, even here. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

I almost need to pinch myself when I consider that I now live in a place where I can grow these.

Yes Jason, your color palette has increased exponentially in the new garden!  It has to be hard to decide what to allocate space to at times.  I'm sure that some of the things which you prized here are somewhat ho-hum plantings when considering for your Hawaii garden.  Since we are talking Hawaii, I'll share that I love the color on the rachis and underside of the leaves of this Pritchardia.

20190124-104A2277.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

9 hours ago, Tracy said:

Yes Jason, your color palette has increased exponentially in the new garden!  It has to be hard to decide what to allocate space to at times.  I'm sure that some of the things which you prized here are somewhat ho-hum plantings when considering for your Hawaii garden.  Since we are talking Hawaii, I'll share that I love the color on the rachis and underside of the leaves of this Pritchardia.

20190124-104A2277.jpg

Allocating space is definitely a challenge since I am on a limited size lot (1/2 acre) and plants grow so fast here.  One trip to a mature garden showed me how big these "big dypsis" get here!  They grow to jurassic proportions here which is exciting, but also challenging in it's own way. 

That's a great looking Pritchardia!  Do you know what species it is? 

6 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

That's a great looking Pritchardia!  Do you know what species it is? 

Ironically I bought it after leaving your Fallbrook house when we had the Southern Cal Palm Society meeting there.  It was represented to be Pritchardia flynnii.  I've posted pics here and some say it resembles their P minor at a young stage.  I'll just have to wait and see, but I do like it whatever it turns out to be!

• Like 1

Rain and wind brought the oldest frond off one of my Dypsis prestoniana.  It revealed lots of color when I went outside this morning.  Fortunately nothing was crushed by the downed frond!  It was heavy when I went to remove it.

20190216-104A2507.jpg

20190216-104A2509.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 5

This is one of Merc's maroon Areca vestiaria's , I like the beautiful yellow on the older leaf.

Oh, and how long the purple lasts on the new one.

It is starting to cluster already.

20190204_165634.thumb.jpg.0a659f7a0d99d06b891a5fa6d3ade819.jpg 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Hello there,

since a strong green color and the simply beautiful shape of the palm species in general got me hooked into this great hobby,

I hope you don`t mind presenting this one...

099.thumb.jpg.b5a8288929f138e03d4a5404866257b4.jpg

An even through our winter constantly growing leave of my young C. samoense...

Best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, MAUSER said:

By the way, someone could tell me why these butias produce red and violet leaves.

Mauser: I can't answer your question, but I suspect you'll get requests for seeds from this Butia variety should any become available!! ;)

• Like 1

Here’s one of my Chambeyronia hookeri greeting my brother from Ohio.

9B87B5EA-C95C-475E-9B40-10A99AC77613.thumb.jpeg.e1e129cb943167393deb15f6b1452254.jpeg

• Like 4

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

new leaf on Burretiokentia dumasii, not super vibrant, but nice any way. Seems to be getting more colorful  as the palm matures. Or it could just

be a seasonal thing.

aloha

IMG_3516.jpg

IMG_3517.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6

Hmmm Colin, I didn't know B. dumasii had a red emergent leaf. Still learning new stuff.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Chamby hookeri this morning., little more vibrant than the B. dumasai, I didnʻt even notice it until I looked up. Been raining all night.

Tim, not sure if any other Buretokentias have red new leaves or not. There are a couple of pictures in palmpedia encyclopedia of dumasii with reddish new leaves.

IMG_3523.jpg

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3522.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

Another spectacular leaf Colin. 

I have B. vieillardii, hapala, and grandiflora, none of which have a red emergent leaf.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim, I think B. dumasii is the only one with a red emergent , got a few one gallons from Jeff a while back, a real easy grow here. I have a small grandiflora, which

is painfully slow. Maybe one leaf a year. 

Lots and lots of slow rain here for the past couple of weeks. lookin green

B. koghiensis also has some red, I'll snap a pic

• Like 1

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

Removed many rouge Dypsis lutescens at a clients house this one showing some red, never seen this before. Also, finally Areca "alba" getting some size after being in the ground for many years.

IMG_3528.jpg

IMG_3529.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

IMG_3552.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A pinch of blush on a newer leaf of Asterogyne martiana

46500331664_02f1cd8f42_o.JPG

33348059398_32a397a51f_o.JPG

P.S. Don't judge any brown tips! Just getting out of winter here and may have slacked a bit on the misting. :indifferent::blush: Iguanura and Reinhardtia are NOT forgiving of such a sin..

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

On 2/19/2019 at 2:07 PM, colin Peters said:

Tim, I think B. dumasii is the only one with a red emergent

On 2/27/2019 at 8:44 AM, Joe palma said:

B. koghiensis also has some red, I'll snap a pic

Joe is correct.  Burretiokentia koghiensis this last autumn in my garden.

20181129-104A1753.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Tracy, not only do I love that palm, but that galvanized fencing as well.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 3 weeks later...