DSC_0372.JPG

DSC_0375.JPG

willo68

Looks like a ceiba, floss silk tree

Moose

Looks like a ceiba, floss silk tree

Where are the thorns on the trunk?

willo68

I have 2 thornless floss silks, really wanted the one with the thorns but were the only ones i found back then and it was at a steal of a price so i took the only 2 they had. I also heard that the thorny ones lose most thorns as they age, not sure on the accuracy of that.

Danilopez89

Cool! What a coincidence...

I was wondering around a local nursery the other day and found these green trees with gnarly thorns. I thought it was so cool. This is what the trunk looked like except smaller

IMG_20151101_5818.thumb.jpg.6fcd0aaa9a97thanks for the id guys. Now I gotta go back and buy my tree.

Moose

Cool! What a coincidence...

I was wondering around a local nursery the other day and found these green trees with gnarly thorns. I thought it was so cool. This is what the trunk looked like except smaller

IMG_20151101_5818.thumb.jpg.6fcd0aaa9a97thanks for the id guys. Now I gotta go back and buy my tree.

They get big and fat like a Jubea, something to contemplate when selecting an area to plant.

Danilopez89

I've seen them around here in many places. There's one in my neighborhood. There's these really old ones in a golf course and they are pretty big, but I haven't seen one with a huge bulging trunk yet. I wonder if that has to do with the climate around here. 

Also I was thinking that I can keep it under control by trimming the tree and never letting the canopy get to huge. If that doesn't work it can always be replaced by something in the future. 

I really like this tree. Its different. Its green. Cool thorns. And puts on a show of pink flowers. I gotta get some pics of the ones around here before the flowers fall off.

jardinierpalmiertrat

Thanks you, but this tree have never thorn, and the flowers are white

DSC_0371.JPG

Jerry@TreeZoo

It is definitely Malvaceae (Bombacaceae) but I don't think it is a Ceiba.  Where is this tree?  I might have to break out my Barwick book.

Karen

Maybe Ceiba pentranda?  We have a tree we grew from seed that supposedly came from a C. pentranda.  From what I've read the trunks are "usually" spiny, but ours isn't.  It has about 8 ft. of trunk, the flowers are a creamy white & inconspicuous as in jardinier's photo.  The flowers are certainly nothing as showy as in other Ceiba species with their pinks and reds.

The pods of the C. pentranda in Foster Garden in Honolulu are like the ones in the first photos, but have never been in Honolulu when the tree blooms, so haven't seen its flowers.  The ground in the garden is covered with the white "kapok" when the pods burst open on the tree.  Quite the sight.  The trunk is enormous (no spines) with great buttresses.  Sorry no pics!

Aloha,  Karen

Loxahatchee Adam

Those flowers 100% are Kapok, Ceiba pentandra.  They come in various shades of orange-ish to pink also, but white is the most common.

Jerry@TreeZoo

Those flowers 100% are Kapok, Ceiba pentandra.  They come in various shades of orange-ish to pink also, but white is the most common.

I agree that the flowers look exactly like Kapok, but the trunk looks nothing like it.  Perhaps it experienced repeated damage to force it out of its usual straight single trunk.

Danilopez89

You guys are good. :greenthumb:

Josh-O

case closed on this one fellas :) 

jardinierpalmiertrat

thanks you very much, this tree is in Thailand, in the area of surin, there are many.

Danilopez89
On 11/1/2015 7:48:30, Moose said:

They get big and fat like a Jubea, something to contemplate when selecting an area to plant.

On 11/1/2015 8:47:01, Danilopez89 said:

I've seen them around here in many places. There's one in my neighborhood. There's these really old ones in a golf course and they are pretty big, but I haven't seen one with a huge bulging trunk yet. I wonder if that has to do with the climate around here. 

Also I was thinking that I can keep it under control by trimming the tree and never letting the canopy get to huge. If that doesn't work it can always be replaced by something in the future. 

I really like this tree. Its different. Its green. Cool thorns. And puts on a show of pink flowers. I gotta get some pics of the ones around here before the flowers fall off.

Here's a few pics of the one I was talking about. The one with the cool thorns!

IMG_20151115_4921.thumb.jpg.bc6d796d5b96IMG_20151115_10235.thumb.jpg.62478304a9fIMG_20151115_45820.thumb.jpg.827e7ae9b80IMG_20151115_10451.thumb.jpg.152cbf21e17

Danilopez89

Here's another one I saw at Lowes. If I decide to plant this tree in my yard I will try and keep it smaller like this one.

IMG_20151115_1130.thumb.jpg.505cef525754

I've seen lots of them on Google search. This one was one of my favorites. I really like the fact that I can thin out the canopy to my liking or needs.

IMG_20151115_36419.thumb.jpg.22a09cf7076