• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

ID of this tree, thanks you

jardinierpalmiertrat

Looks like a ceiba, floss silk tree

Where are the thorns on the trunk?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I have 2 thornless floss silks, really wanted the one with the thorns but were the only ones i found back then and it was at a steal of a price so i took the only 2 they had. I also heard that the thorny ones lose most thorns as they age, not sure on the accuracy of that.

Cool! What a coincidence...

I was wondering around a local nursery the other day and found these green trees with gnarly thorns. I thought it was so cool. This is what the trunk looked like except smaller

IMG_20151101_5818.thumb.jpg.6fcd0aaa9a97thanks for the id guys. Now I gotta go back and buy my tree.

Cool! What a coincidence...

I was wondering around a local nursery the other day and found these green trees with gnarly thorns. I thought it was so cool. This is what the trunk looked like except smaller

IMG_20151101_5818.thumb.jpg.6fcd0aaa9a97thanks for the id guys. Now I gotta go back and buy my tree.

They get big and fat like a Jubea, something to contemplate when selecting an area to plant.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I've seen them around here in many places. There's one in my neighborhood. There's these really old ones in a golf course and they are pretty big, but I haven't seen one with a huge bulging trunk yet. I wonder if that has to do with the climate around here. 

Also I was thinking that I can keep it under control by trimming the tree and never letting the canopy get to huge. If that doesn't work it can always be replaced by something in the future. 

I really like this tree. Its different. Its green. Cool thorns. And puts on a show of pink flowers. I gotta get some pics of the ones around here before the flowers fall off.

It is definitely Malvaceae (Bombacaceae) but I don't think it is a Ceiba.  Where is this tree?  I might have to break out my Barwick book.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Maybe Ceiba pentranda?  We have a tree we grew from seed that supposedly came from a C. pentranda.  From what I've read the trunks are "usually" spiny, but ours isn't.  It has about 8 ft. of trunk, the flowers are a creamy white & inconspicuous as in jardinier's photo.  The flowers are certainly nothing as showy as in other Ceiba species with their pinks and reds.

The pods of the C. pentranda in Foster Garden in Honolulu are like the ones in the first photos, but have never been in Honolulu when the tree blooms, so haven't seen its flowers.  The ground in the garden is covered with the white "kapok" when the pods burst open on the tree.  Quite the sight.  The trunk is enormous (no spines) with great buttresses.  Sorry no pics!

Aloha,  Karen

North of Hilo on the Big Island of Hawaii

1200' elevation, 200" rain/year

Year round stream with small waterfalls

Those flowers 100% are Kapok, Ceiba pentandra.  They come in various shades of orange-ish to pink also, but white is the most common.

Those flowers 100% are Kapok, Ceiba pentandra.  They come in various shades of orange-ish to pink also, but white is the most common.

I agree that the flowers look exactly like Kapok, but the trunk looks nothing like it.  Perhaps it experienced repeated damage to force it out of its usual straight single trunk.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

case closed on this one fellas :) 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2015 7:48:30, Moose said:

They get big and fat like a Jubea, something to contemplate when selecting an area to plant.

On 11/1/2015 8:47:01, Danilopez89 said:

I've seen them around here in many places. There's one in my neighborhood. There's these really old ones in a golf course and they are pretty big, but I haven't seen one with a huge bulging trunk yet. I wonder if that has to do with the climate around here. 

Also I was thinking that I can keep it under control by trimming the tree and never letting the canopy get to huge. If that doesn't work it can always be replaced by something in the future. 

I really like this tree. Its different. Its green. Cool thorns. And puts on a show of pink flowers. I gotta get some pics of the ones around here before the flowers fall off.

Here's a few pics of the one I was talking about. The one with the cool thorns!

IMG_20151115_4921.thumb.jpg.bc6d796d5b96IMG_20151115_10235.thumb.jpg.62478304a9fIMG_20151115_45820.thumb.jpg.827e7ae9b80IMG_20151115_10451.thumb.jpg.152cbf21e17

Here's another one I saw at Lowes. If I decide to plant this tree in my yard I will try and keep it smaller like this one.

IMG_20151115_1130.thumb.jpg.505cef525754

I've seen lots of them on Google search. This one was one of my favorites. I really like the fact that I can thin out the canopy to my liking or needs.

IMG_20151115_36419.thumb.jpg.22a09cf7076