IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Moose

On 12/23/2015, 12:27:05, NorCalKing said:

Anybody who thinks temps 10-20 degrees above normal is the new norm, or thinking winter will never arrive, may be in for a rude awakening.

Yep. If not this year, the cold will return in some future year to prove  to us that no place in Central Florida is zone 10 forever :-(

I went swimming at the beach yesterday and it felt almost as warm as summer. Usually it starts getting too cold to swim mid-November. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Tied a record high of 86F in Corpus Christi last Tues. or Wed., with highs around 80F and in the low 80's before the cold front passed on Sunday.  So far no freezes at all at the airport (approximately 20 miles inland from the Gulf), and normally the first freeze there is on Dec. 21.  Houston and Galveston set two record highs in a row last week.  If most Decembers were like this one, we would have hundreds of coconut palms growing here in Corpus Christi instead of the handful we have now!  By the way, the normal high/low at the airport is 67F/47F.

Keith,

You said you went swimming at the beach yesterday.  Here before the cold front passed, the beach water temp was 69F!  Normally this time of year, our beach water temp would be about 58F or 59F!  69F water temps here the end of Dec. is basically unheard of!  By the end of Jan. our water temp is normally around 55F or 56F, but this winter, it might not drop below 60F.

John

Keith ( Zeeth ), your gut feeling isn't off at all.. water temps off our beaches have been ranging between 73F and 79F this month. Yesterday's reading off Clearwater was 80F..

Putting the Christmas weekend in perspective, Highs ranged between 84 and 88F according to all the local W.U. stations around Sarasota and Bradenton.. and beyond.  Factoring in the heat index?? a  weather station over near Fort Desoto hit 91F with a real feel of 100F around 2pm on Christmas Day..  All the other stations i monitored had real feel temps ranging between 88 and 99 that day.. It was warmer here than many of the stations i looked over around Miami around the same time. Just heard Tampa has officially broken temp records 6 days in a row. No doubt Sarasota did as well.

As for what lies ahead.. for all the hope for cold weather.. Still no signs of anything beyond . maybe a couple days with lows in the high/ mid 40's over the next couple weeks.  For what it is worth, Accuweathers extended hasn't wavered much over the last week. If.... this trend continues, there could be a lot more 70's vs. any days in the 60's in January. Also looks like the So. branch of the Jet gets active. GFS model runs seem to be catching on to bringing us a wet period. We'll see what happens.

It is interesting that the High Pressure system responsible for our weather so far this fall/winter has been compared -in strength- to what you would see during the summer..

After January, the only direction is up and if SST's stay as warm as they currently are in the Gulf.. well, something to contemplate..

Almost January and still haven't broken 10a in NWFL. Bananas and annuals are still rolling with just minor damage from 31 degrees and frost. Crossing fingers- I think it will be very hard to not get any colder than that in January and February. Maybe 9b if we're lucky. The past 8 years the mildest winter was a warm 9a.

Edited by Opal92

I read this from the NWS out of Melbourne, FL today. Pretty amazing.

This year (2015) will be the warmest on record for all primary 
climate sites in east central Florida and this December will also be 
the warmest on record for much of the area. Here are the current 
average temperature rankings as of the 29th for December and 

December: 

Site: average temp(f): rank: previous/current record: 
dab 70.2 2nd warmest 70.9 Dec 1931 (records began 1923) 
mco 71.3 ties warmest* 71.3 Dec 1971 (records began 1892) 
mlb 73.6 warmest 70.4 Dec 1971 (records began 1937) 
vrb 73.9 warmest 71.4 Dec 2006 (records began 1942) 

*orlando projected to have the warmest December on record 

2015: 

Site: average temp(f): rank: previous record: 
dab 73.7 warmest 73.1 1990 (records began 1923) 
mco 75.5 warmest 74.9 1990 (records began 1892) 
mlb 75.4 warmest 74.6 2007 (records began 1937) 
vrb 76.2 warmest 75.3 1990 (records began 1942)

87F here right now.  This December (and the last 3 months) have been so warm it's almost difficult to believe.  The cool down for late this week and into the weekend will bring high temperatures to at or just slightly below normal, and low temperatures still above average.  We could certainly get a freeze in the next 2 months, but with the Gulf of Mexico and ground temperatures so warm, I kind of doubt it at this point.  I think our lowest will end up being 33-34F.

5 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

87F here right now.  This December (and the last 3 months) have been so warm it's almost difficult to believe.  The cool down for late this week and into the weekend will bring high temperatures to at or just slightly below normal, and low temperatures still above average.  We could certainly get a freeze in the next 2 months, but with the Gulf of Mexico and ground temperatures so warm, I kind of doubt it at this point.  I think our lowest will end up being 33-34F.

Please don't jinx us. I am afraid to speak about it.

So far here in Corpus Christi, not a single freeze.  The average first freeze at the airport occurs around Dec. 21st.  The airport, which is about 20 miles inland from the Gulf averages about 5 freezes per year.  Where I live in Flour Bluff near the Laguna Madre, we would normally have one or two light freezes down to 31F or 32F with a total of about 5 or 6 nights in the 30's at my place.  My place has not had a single night below 40.8F and that was back on 11/23 during an early season chilly spell that lasted for a couple of days.  So far at my place we are having an 11A winter, and we are normally at the low end of 10A, and the airport so far has had a 10A winter with only two nights in the upper 30's and they are normally borderline 9A/9B.

• Upvote 1

Miami set the new record high for this date at 84° F. That is the official record, individual gardens certainly could have been warmer. Add on the humidity ... I know I was doing some serious sweating at work today.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

On December 26, 2015 at 7:05:19 PM, Cocoa Beach Jason said:

Stop cursing us with your bad vibes.

Certainly not lol. I just know it's easy to get wrapped up in the allure of the warm temps, then boom! Seen it too many times ;)

• Upvote 1

May get some heat relief Jan. 5th, that is a maybe if the front does not stall ...

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Orlando hit 87 yesterday again setting a new record hi. It's mid mid / upper 80s day, u.pper 60s/low 70s at night since Dec 21. The low so far has been 48. T his is the warmest Dec. in the 36 years I have lived here. But it has been very dry. Front coming through and hopefully we will get some rain though it is going to cool off.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric,

WOW!  THAT IS DOWNRIGHT HOT FOR JANUARY!  If I am not mistaken, your normal high is 71F and normal low is 48F for Orlando.  The week of Christmas, we hit 86F here in Corpus Christi, tying the record high for the date on the 23rd and hit 83F on the 26th also tying the record high for that date, then the front came through on Sunday, and we haven't been at 60F or above since then.  Our high today is in the low to mid 40's with rain, but our normal high is 67F with a normal low of 47F.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, no more annuals and bananas. 28 deg last night did those in. There was a pink plumeria, pink ti plants, and an orange bird of paradise in pots I had forgot to move in. Remembered around 1 o'clock, and bringing them in, there was already dew freezing on the leaves. 

Still not bad though at 9b. Also there is a 3 clump majesty palm we had planted out front last summer (expecting to be an annual) that is still doing great even after last night- looks untouched.

Edited by Opal92

I'm surprised your orange bird of paradise had trouble with those temps. I've hit 26f (as well as 28) a few times this chilly winter, and they didn't even miss a beat. Mine are in the ground though, not sure that made the difference.

3 minutes ago, NorCalKing said:

I'm surprised your orange bird of paradise had trouble with those temps. I've hit 26f (as well as 28) a few times this chilly winter, and they didn't even miss a beat. Mine are in the ground though, not sure that made the difference.

Actually it's fine for now- of the 3 I mentioned, it is probably the most hardy. The ti plants and pink plumeria are already showing some leaf damage though, but should pull through.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Opal92 said:

Actually it's fine for now- of the 3 I mentioned, it is probably the most hardy. The ti plants and pink plumeria are already showing some leaf damage though, but should pull through.

With your Plumeria, watch the stems over the next few days.. If you notice any to the tips getting soft, or, just looking burnt/brownish/shriveling, cut away and treat with Peroxide and Sulfur powder ( if you have available) Works like a charm. Seedling- started specimens i have had for 8+ years suffered such damage their first year.

Dropped down to 28 sunday morning,  which finished off my fruiting bananas. Amazingly enough that is the coldest we have been all winter.  Only dipped below 32 four times thusfar.  

38.3F on Sunday morning is my coldest so far, and it dropped to 36F at the airport, which is their coldest so far.  I rebounded pretty good that afternoon though, to 59.7F (normal high at my place is 65F now, so not too bad, with a normal low here of 50F).  The airport normals for now are 66F/47F.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, this is going to be a close call.  It is supposed to be an advective cold event, so any heat island effects will be minimal.  The official NWS forecast is showing 32F for the northern Orlando suburbs tomorrow night.  I am wondering to even bother with covering the palms, since it would seem that this would have little protective effect in windy conditions (getting the covers to stay on will also be a challenge).  I guess I will select the plants that are a priority to protect and do multiple layers.  If it gets even a tad below 32F, there could be a lot of cold damage.

• Upvote 1

Coldest at my place this morning was 43.8F.  I expected 38F or 39F, since the airport was predicted to get down to 35F, but I bet they didn't get below 40F.  The breeze off the water out of the northeast must have continued through the night, whereas they thought it would diminish overnight.

On 1/22/2016, 4:16:26, palmsOrl said:

Yeah, this is going to be a close call.  It is supposed to be an advective cold event, so any heat island effects will be minimal.  The official NWS forecast is showing 32F for the northern Orlando suburbs tomorrow night.  I am wondering to even bother with covering the palms, since it would seem that this would have little protective effect in windy conditions (getting the covers to stay on will also be a challenge).  I guess I will select the plants that are a priority to protect and do multiple layers.  If it gets even a tad below 32F, there could be a lot of cold damage.

Freeze warning now.

21 minutes ago, Opal92 said:

Freeze warning now.

21 minutes ago, Opal92 said:

Freeze warning now.

For what part of Florida?

Just now, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

For what part of Florida?

Orlando is under a freeze warning.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Current Advisories And Warnings - Florida

Legend

Flood Warning

Hard Freeze Warning

Freeze Warning

Wind Chill Advisory

High Surf Advisory

Lake Wind Advisory

Wind Advisory

Coastal Flood Statement

6 minutes ago, Palmaceae said:

Orlando is under a freeze warning.

Not good.  I wonder if it's expected to go below 30F in Orlando or just down to about 31F or 32F?

6 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Not good.  I wonder if it's expected to go below 30F in Orlando or just down to about 31F or 32F?

Let me try that again. Here are the current warnings for Florida.

Capture.JPG

1 hour ago, Palmaceae said:

Let me try that again. Here are the current warnings for Florida.

Capture.JPG

It looks kind of bad for central inland areas, but coastal areas of Central Florida should be freeze and frost free.

2 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

Looks like some inland areas are already at 33...That could get ugly!

That's cold for this early in the night.  Probably going to be lots of 20's north of Orlando tonight, and some teens north of Gainesville and Ocala.  Coastal areas should be okay though.