IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ravenea glauca from Andringitra

LJG

1 hour ago, LJG said:

Andringitra R glauca on left. Isalo on right. Both same age. 

A0CA52FD-91F9-491A-B004-EFC2BF209120.jpeg

684D1DA8-992C-4901-B160-DC356033B848.jpeg

FB6738E4-1802-41FD-B1A8-E3166636217E.jpeg

CEAC4D53-953B-420A-8ECC-E749E07BF641.jpeg

Interesting differences Len.

How old?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Good and very clear photo documentation, thanks. It's clear that the ones I have been growing for years and finally got into the ground are the species on the right, the Isalo type, with the narrower leaflets and less robust appearance.

• Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

2 years and 2 months from seed Jim

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

19 hours ago, LJG said:

So Len, have you decided how much longer you will keep it in the greenhouse before trying it in the ground?  The Isalo or the one that has been grown in the past as R glauca has performed much faster in the ground than in a pot for me.  I'm hoping that the new "real" R glauca aka Andringitra will also accelerate when you get it to a size ready to plant!  Enjoying the updates to this by the way string. Bu the way, great job in San Francisco Daryl with your success sprouting 3!

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

21 hours ago, LJG said:

Crazy that it's been over 2 years since being in Madagascar with you. What a trip!  Nice to see that palm looking so good. Seems ready to go in the ground soon!  

Yeah, both get planted next spring. :)

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

• 4 months later...

Hi Len, looking forward to seeing these grow up for you.

On 12/20/2017, 12:33:10, LJG said:

Yeah, both get planted next spring. :)

• Upvote 2

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm curious about an update as well Len. Just looking at the habitat photos they seem like they should be a winner in California. 

On 12/18/2017 at 5:59 PM, LJG said:

Andringitra R glauca on left. Isalo on right. Both same age.  

I want to echo the other requests for an update on the Andringitra Ravenea glauca.  I have an Isalo variety which was a similar size to yours in the photo in 2017 which started producing male flowers this summer, so I would expect that yours have grown quite a bit since the photos were posted too.  I didn't search through the post to see if you just have the one so will be lacking the opposite sex for reproducing or if you have more than one.  Looking forward to your update Len!

Ok all, tomorrow I’ll get pics when light out. 

Tracy, i do only have one now. But seed was available from RPS. So many should be growing it now. 

• Like 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

You be be hard pressed to see a difference between the two at this size. This is the one from Andringitra. It is in full sun. 

BBBBCFC2-707F-4E5B-9797-69D1AFA87C75.jpeg

2D4B8A8C-83F8-4928-A250-EF71C8E47DC0.jpeg

70B8A3E7-2C8C-42C9-A260-393B552C0C89.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

• 3 months later...

These have been a fairly easy grow for me. I’ve got about 20 seedlings from two seed batches (200 seed). Low germination rates have been due to seed condition. These come from a remote area in the wild and many Ravenea have short viability periods. I found the same with the Isalo species. 

To germinate these I’ve been using a perlite, river sand and coconut coir mix in a community pot style clear storage container and an inch of spaghnum moss over the top at room temperature with no bottom heat. As the old seeds go bad I remove them, and both times I’ve tried them they have given me successful germination. Fresh seed would likely give 100% germination in my opinion.

Once they get older I plan to plant around 20 of them in a group. These are going to be the next must have palm I reckon. 

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

14 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Once they get older I plan to plant around 20 of them in a group. These are going to be the next must have palm I reckon. 

:greenthumb:  I reckon you are correct.  I know I would want one if it were available even though I don't really have a space for it, I think I could create a space.

Here’s my 3 biggest ones.

87AFA016-3269-40BF-9EEE-4AB151A7183B.jpeg

68B98B3D-2AED-4193-903C-77DBC99B8E03.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 2 months later...
On 3/13/2020 at 1:26 AM, Tyrone said:

Here’s my 3 biggest ones.

87AFA016-3269-40BF-9EEE-4AB151A7183B.jpeg

68B98B3D-2AED-4193-903C-77DBC99B8E03.jpeg

Where did you source your seed? I see RPS still offers it but the listing seems to indicate the seed is from 2017. Available info on Ravenea seed indicates viability is long gone? 

8 minutes ago, Meangreen94z said:

Where did you source your seed? I see RPS still offers it but the listing seems to indicate the seed is from 2017. Available info on Ravenea seed indicates viability is long gone? 

I got it from RPS both times. I don't think the seed is from 2017. I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion. Only recently they were on the new listing. If you want a few plants you've got to order 100 minimum seed as they're wild collected and who knows how old they are when you finally get them. In time, cultivated specimens will produce better seed I would think.

Good to know. I was going off the comment they posted in the corner. I guess that just commemorates the original circulation date.

C1D9E6C6-7666-45B0-A0A0-C355DB9A802E.png

2 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

Good to know. I was going off the comment they posted in the corner. I guess that just commemorates the original circulation date.

C1D9E6C6-7666-45B0-A0A0-C355DB9A802E.png

I see what you mean now. I got seed from them in 2017 and my 4 biggest are from that batch. I think the batch they have in could be their 3rd batch maybe even 4th batch then. Definitely one to order the moment it comes in fresh and new and to get into the germination medium as quickly as possible for maximum results.

After spending a lot of money for these seeds I obtained about 2 or 3 % germination.  They have all died.  Good on you, Tyrone !!  :greenthumb:  

San Francisco, California

5 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

After spending a lot of money for these seeds I obtained about 2 or 3 % germination.  They have all died.  Good on you, Tyrone !!  :greenthumb:  

Dang. But don't worry Darold, where Toby is getting these is from the much easier locale so it doesn't require long hikes and camping to get. So I have a feeling it will be on the list a lot.

• Like 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

@LJG, any particular guidance on sprouting the seeds? Any different from "Isalo" glaucas?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

12 hours ago, Tyrone said:

I see what you mean now. I got seed from them in 2017 and my 4 biggest are from that batch. I think the batch they have in could be their 3rd batch maybe even 4th batch then. Definitely one to order the moment it comes in fresh and new and to get into the germination medium as quickly as possible for maximum results.

What was your exact method in keeping them alive once they sprouted? 

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

@LJG, any particular guidance on sprouting the seeds? Any different from "Isalo" glaucas?

Same. Just make sure once sprouted the soil is free-draining. They like to get collar rot, so don’t be in a hurry to take off old leaves from base. 

• Like 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

So cool to see these growing in your garden Len! Once they become more available i would love to give one a try. 

3 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

What was your exact method in keeping them alive once they sprouted? 

Really nothing. I did lose a couple but I put that down to old seed. If the food inside the seed starts to go rancid I’ve found at least with other species that the decaying endosperm can move over into the palm itself and it’s all over.

The mix I use is fine coconut coir, coarse river sand and a good amount of perlite. Pretty standard really. I put about an inch of spaghnum moss over the seed and let the seed sit on top of the mix. Then I just used my inside the house room temps do the rest and wait. I use clear plastic storage boxes with enough height so the palm can open a leaf or two below the lid.

Once they’ve put a leaf or two out, I take them outside under my verandah area in the warmer weather and slowly over a week or two start to remove the lid so they can get used to the outside humidity levels and breeze. I just rest the lid on the box at an angle to reveal gaps. Then once it’s gone I just let the outside air do it’s thing and water them a bit when they start to dry out. After a couple of months I seperate them into their own pots and put into the nursery. 

Darold, it’s worth trying again. I wish I lived a bit closer and I’d give you a couple of mine. Don’t give up mate. Try again. :)

Thanks Tyrone, that information is very helpful.  

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone! Just received this Ravenea glauca "Andringitra" seedling. I read all your advices and experience, on this topic. Just great, folks! Any extra advice???

@Darold Petty , know you had some problems with yours. How are they  now? @LJG,and @Tyrone, and yours? Thriving and wealthy?

Thank you in advance!

IMG_20200814_165338.jpg

IMG_20200814_162555.jpg

• Like 1

Greetings, Luís

Izorrito;  I don't have this species any longer.  Most of my few that did germinate damped off from some fungus.  One seedling I broke off  with just an inoportune slight  brush from the back of my hand.  And finally, I sent two seedlings to a better climate.  So I am finished with this species.  :beat_deadhorse:

Be very careful with seedlings,  they are succulent and will break off with just a slight pressure.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lzorrito said:

Hi everyone! Just received this Ravenea glauca "Andringitra" seedling. I read all your advices and experience, on this topic. Just great, folks! Any extra advice???

@Darold Petty , know you had some problems with yours. How are they  now? @LJG,and @Tyrone, and yours? Thriving and wealthy?

Thank you in advance!

IMG_20200814_165338.jpg

IMG_20200814_162555.jpg

That’s a healthy one. All mine are doing well. They are due a good weeding and if it stops raining a bit tomorrow I will weed them and take some pics. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2019 at 1:31 AM, LJG said:

You be be hard pressed to see a difference between the two at this size. This is the one from Andringitra. It is in full sun. 

I discovered the rare occurrence of a shade-grown Ravenea glauca "andringitra" in habitat while looking at google street view. It is hardly recognizable and has imo more resemblance with the "isalo" form. Therefore I guess that at least a wee bit of the different appearance between "isalo" and "andringitra" is due to variable light exposure although I can already see a slight difference between my seedlings beneath the surface ("andringitra" seems to have a much more aggressive tap root).

"andringitra" in shade:

923158409_Screenshot(332).thumb.png.8213b5794a15bfc0bfdf11d48f592eb5.png

A few meters away in more sun they look normal again:

950072953_Screenshot(333).thumb.png.3b4ff8eadabba1d7ff7363a2ba77ed8e.png

PS:

I haven't seen anyone posting this trail on google street view which shows the beautiful habitat of R. glauca "andringitra": https://www.google.com/maps/@-22.1009393,46.7622594,2a,48.8y,236.17h,104.24t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s_7U52-sXn02zcOW28fprnQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D_7U52-sXn02zcOW28fprnQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D73.520226%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e4

There are several different hillslopes and canyons along this trail where you can see them grow in various conditions from small plants to tall, dead stumps. The regeneration cycle doesn't seem to be interrupted unlike it is with some other palms in habitat (Brahea edulis, Ceroxylon quindiuense etc.). Here is a flowering specimen:1528356429_Screenshot(334).thumb.png.7b7247661ca3464798d4da437c1faeb1.png

PPS: I am sorry if this link of google maps has already been posted by someone.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, LivistonaFan said:

I discovered the rare occurrence of a shade-grown Ravenea glauca "andringitra" in habitat while looking at google street view. It is hardly recognizable and has imo more resemblance with the "isalo" form. Therefore I guess that at least a wee bit of the different appearance between "isalo" and "andringitra" is due to variable light exposure although I can already see a slight difference between my seedlings beneath the surface ("andringitra" seems to have a much more aggressive tap root).

"andringitra" in shade:

923158409_Screenshot(332).thumb.png.8213b5794a15bfc0bfdf11d48f592eb5.png

A few meters away in more sun they look normal again:

950072953_Screenshot(333).thumb.png.3b4ff8eadabba1d7ff7363a2ba77ed8e.png

PS:

I haven't seen anyone posting this trail on google street view which shows the beautiful habitat of R. glauca "andringitra": https://www.google.com/maps/@-22.1009393,46.7622594,2a,48.8y,236.17h,104.24t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s_7U52-sXn02zcOW28fprnQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D_7U52-sXn02zcOW28fprnQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D73.520226%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e4

There are several different hillslopes and canyons along this trail where you can see them grow in various conditions from small plants to tall, dead stumps. The regeneration cycle doesn't seem to be interrupted unlike it is with some other palms in habitat (Brahea edulis, Ceroxylon quindiuense etc.). Here is a flowering specimen:1528356429_Screenshot(334).thumb.png.7b7247661ca3464798d4da437c1faeb1.png

PPS: I am sorry if this link of google maps has already been posted by someone.

You sure the first pic isnt baronii? 

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

2 minutes ago, Stevetoad said:

You sure the first pic isnt baronii? 

I am not a Dypsis expert. It certainly could be one (on closer examination it seems to have a crownshaft - hence it most probably is a Dypsis:blush:). That is quite interesting, because I thought the altitude was too high for another Madagascan Palm and there were only Ravenea glauca andringatra around (in sunnier conditions Dypsis and Ravenea certainly are distinguishable from each other). I will try to find the exact location again.

Maybe I was tricked because of these two scrawny Queen Palms I saw recently.  They almost looked like understory palms from a tropical rainforest that were recently transplanted 3000 km north. Not much like Syagrus romanzoffiana, quite bizarre actually.

DSC_5111.thumb.JPG.0bcbbc01c6e7a95e66fd294457901b30.JPG

Thats Dypsis albofarinosa.

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

• 4 months later...

I just got a couple of these and would like to see and here how everyone is doing with them

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

just got a couple of these and would like to see and here how everyone is doing with them

Mine didn't make it. It stem rot, due to too wet, too cool Winter. Will try again, but using different culture method.

Greetings, Luís

2 hours ago, lzorrito said:

Mine didn't make it. It stem rot, due to too wet, too cool Winter. Will try again, but using different culture method.

Did you keep yours in a bright and breezy area? 

7 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Did you keep yours in a bright and breezy area? 

It was on the outside, on a bright, but not so breezy, and somehow humid spot. Air flow probably wasn't enough and the mix did retain too much moisture on the top layer. That most probably led to fungal infection. It was on the second leaf stage, and both roots and leaf looked 0K when it collapsed/roted on the base of the stem (typical...). Next time I'll keep it on a airier spot, more direct sun light, and faster draining mix, like the B. alfredii seedlings which are doing fine, although these are not as touchy as glauca Andringitra. Surely it will require more attention, and it will get it.

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Luís

• 1 year later...
On 11/24/2019 at 1:31 AM, LJG said:

Any updates on the comparison shots?

Last winter both of my two R. glauca isalo succumbed to the conditions in my unheated plant room (4-8 °C @ 80 - 100 % relative air humidity) but my last remaining R. glauca andringitra survived. That is why I presume that the andringitra form is indeed more cool/cold hardy than the isalo form.

IMG_20220321_083431.thumb.jpg.75f1fd1509e31149ad3e5d5e32588235.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1