IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Northernmost / Southernmost Royal Palm (Roystonea Regia) Where is located?

Alicante

8 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

I wonder if the Côte d’Azur has any royals. We know Archontophoenix grow in Menton so I wouldn’t be surprised if that climate could also support royals.

No, unfortunately no royals here...

• Like 2

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

2 hours ago, gilles06 said:

No, unfortunately no royals here...

That’s too bad, do you know if any have been tried?

There’s quite a bit growing there that suggest royals could probably survive. I was looking last night at streetview and pictures from local botanical gardens and archontophoenix, caryota (sp), howea, big old ficus, and monstera to name a few.

I’m not sure what the crownshafted palm is on the right in this picture, it’s next to an archontophoenix, but the fronds look more like veitchia: 

CD05624F-B98A-4A35-A042-F128DA17593D.thumb.png.3222a852fa1abd0341b3dcf5f50ec2d8.png

Evidently the record low in Menton is 30f and 23f in Monaco which seems reasonable for royals. I’m not sure there’s enough winter heat for them, but I don’t think they’re as picky about that like you get from other tropical palms. All told it looks to me like they should be able to survive there.

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

This is not my photo, but is what I believe to be a royal in Menton that was posted on a French FB palm group that I’m a member of. It was a little while ago though so not sure if it’s still there, although last winter was very mild so I imagine there’s a good chance that it is.

14C692AB-EA61-4A32-9543-88ADA6AAEAE4.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Palmsofengland said:

This is not my photo, but is what I believe to be a royal in Menton that was posted on a French FB palm group that I’m a member of. It was a little while ago though so not sure if it’s still there, although last winter was very mild so I imagine there’s a good chance that it is.

Awesome find, that’s probably the northernmost royal in the world. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Palmsofengland said:

Wow, that's great. Hard to believe. That's the same latitude as me.

Menton/Monaco would likely have higher summer maximums than the far North of New Zealand but more risk of cold in Winter and likely lower annual lows. Also Auckland and north would offer more humidity and regular rainfall and are also substantially closer to the equator. So there's a good chance that a Royal would thrive in the right part of Northland New Zealand. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Palmsofengland said:

Here's the palm on Streetview: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7783152,7.5079248,3a,15.4y,8.37h,96.71t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipM-gSAR1fsV3yxHXzXxH3DXnSb5olegYOQ6xF26!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipM-gSAR1fsV3yxHXzXxH3DXnSb5olegYOQ6xF26%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya71.434296-ro-0-fo100!7i8704!8i4352

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7786023,7.5073966,3a,15y,101.29h,81.99t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sYtKM3vIysV3cMl3rhDuLqQ!2e0!5s20180401T000000!7i16384!8i8192

Officially at 43.78N. 

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 11/19/2020 at 10:10 AM, Shoowow said:

There is at least one large Roystonea in a private garden here in S. Miguel, and it looks great. It's behind walls and not easy to photograph, and I've tried to know on the owner's door, a known palm collector here, to no avail. I believe there are others. These would obviously not the most northernmost as we sit below parallel 38. I'm sure there are others. I have what was sold as a Roystonea but came to find out it's probably a A. Maxima or Alexandrae. Not easy to get certain things here.

Google street view is terribly out of date here, but the photo shows the property in question, plus what seems to be the royal, although the view is not very good.

royal.jpg.05b0f5a89bb10c9bedacfb300d192235.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

São Miguel, Azores, 37N, Zone 11B, Elevation 110m, Yearly average 18c (64F), Record low 4c (40F), Record high 30 (86F)

• 1 year later...

The Menton Royal at 43° .78 is totally insane to somebody from the US! That is further north then New York, Chicago, Plymouth, Massachusetts, Manchester New Hampshire, Erie Pennsylvania, Buffalo, New York, Flint, Michigan, Eureka,Ca, parts of Canada, together with the states of Wyoming and Nebraska among others!

To the southern end of the latitude scale, Christchurch, New Zealand is not that far from the equator. This absolutely has to be a world record. Congratulations!

• Like 1

What you look for is what is looking

1 hour ago, pietropuccio said:

The Menton royal is... an Archontophoenix.

The one pictured above? I don’t see any Archontophoenix traits. Looks like what I’d expect from a Roystonea in a very marginal climate. 

• Like 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

48 minutes ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

The one pictured above? I don’t see any Archontophoenix traits. Looks like what I’d expect from a Roystonea in a very marginal climate. 

No, look at the previous messages.

• Like 1

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

I looked at Archontophoenix specimens on Palmpedia and compared them with Roystonea. I agree with Tim Brissy that the photographed specimen appears to be a Roystonea in a very marginal climate. I base this on the extremely “frilly” nature of the leaf structure as compared to Archo’s.

That stated, the specimen in Mallorca at 39.6 is duck studly…

• Like 1

What you look for is what is looking

Mallorca forecast has a low of 34 right now, compared to record lows of slight freeze. Interesting climate with quite cool but never a hard freeze winters. 

The Menton forecast right now is warmer than Mallorca actually and also somehow doesn't have much hard freeze in the record, no colder than what TX royals dealt with, and it's hotter summer than Mallorca island. So maybe Menton and other hard freeze free northern Mediterranean places could pull off a royal. 

Edited by Aceraceae
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Aceraceae said:

Mallorca forecast has a low of 34 right now, compared to record lows of slight freeze. Interesting climate with quite cool but never a hard freeze winters. 

The Menton forecast right now is warmer than Mallorca actually and also somehow doesn't have much hard freeze in the record, no colder than what TX royals dealt with, and it's hotter summer than Mallorca island. So maybe Menton and other hard freeze free northern Mediterranean places could pull off a royal. 

Palma's low forecast for today is 40F (+4ºC) 34F could be somewhere on the island (the island has a very complex climate, for example the area around the airport is much, much colder than the area near the city itself) yet right now the official AEMET station stands at 5.9ºC (43F) and I doubt it will get much under that as it's 7.25 AM in Spain and normally low temps are registered around 5-6 AM. Anyways, that's still quite under average as the 1981-2010 official January low is 8.3ºC / 47F. 

These days have been considerably under average in most of Spain, if you check the GFS maps it will still be under average for the following 7 days but not that much. 

I don't think a place with 60/47 official January 1981-2010 averages has "quite cool" winters and even less at 39º34'N. The city's official station started working in 1978 and from 1978 to 2021 there has been only one single day with a low under 0ºC/32F although 3-4ºC lows (38/40F) are not that rare during cold spells, temps under 2ºC/36F are very rare. 

As said before, Mallorca has a very complex climate. This is a long story and has an explanation, but for example right now, Son San Juan Military Base has 0ºC while Palma has 6ºC and Llucmajor much more inland at an altitude of around 500ft had a low of 3ºC so it's a complex climate made of lots of microclimates. The city itself is sheltered by the W mountains. Meanwhile, the NE top of the island, Capdepera, has registered a low of 9.7ºC (49.5F) just to make you think how many microclimates are found in that area.

Here you have the official Spanish Met Agency with today's lows: http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/observacion/ultimosdatos?k=bal&w=1&datos=img&f=tmin

• Like 1

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

5 hours ago, bubba said:

I looked at Archontophoenix specimens on Palmpedia and compared them with Roystonea. I agree with Tim Brissy that the photographed specimen appears to be a Roystonea in a very marginal climate. I base this on the extremely “frilly” nature of the leaf structure as compared to Archo’s.

Mallorca royal is a royal:

965724293_Mallorcaroyal.JPG.ea668105b51c5157e162b877e960b30a.JPG

Menton royal is an Archontophoenix

Menton.jpeg.0e70a592e833ea97fbc43ff8e67c5d4d.jpeg

Don't just read the last message!:)

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

I made this thread in 2015 and unfortunately Tinypic doesn't exist anymore and they just deleted ALL of the pics hosted in their site. 
I've lost hundreds of pics of palms and tropical fruits growing all around Spain. Since I didn't have them anymore on my computer as well. :crying:

This Royal is located in Cullera, Valencia, Spain at above 39ºN and it's above 20 years old. Not so many Royals (hard to get them) but Bizzies grow there like champs! 

1st pic is made in late January, 2nd and 3rd pics are made just after "a harsher than normal" winter with abnormal wind. They all succeed pretty well!

Roystonea-Cullera.png

aaaaa.jpg

aaaaaaa.jpg

Cullera doesn't have any official weather station (there is one in Polinyá, which is close but further inland) I'd say the hardiness zone in this area is 10a/10b (depends on the zone, lots of microclimates) and that January averages are about 16ºC / 7ºC which translates to 61/45F with occasional cold spells around 2-3ºC but freezes are really exceptional.

On 1/19/2022 at 10:48 PM, Brandon39.5 said:

there is one royal in Mallorca 39.6 latitude.

IMG-3729.JPG

IMG-3732.JPG

Amazing, very beautiful specimen! Where are you located (approximately) from the pic it looks like you're slightly inland?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 

Meanwhile in southern Spain, at latitudes above 37ºN they just grow like champs! I've posted here on PalmTalk pics about the biggest specimen I've ever spotted in mainland Spain, it was one that it was at least 20 meters (66 ft) tall somewhere in Málaga. That one was really old and it was giant, something impossible to match elsewhere in Europe. 

These ones from below are at least 10m/33ft and they're in Nerja, Málaga province. Just look at the forecast and you'll understand why they grow like authentic champs.

Roystonea-Nerja-Malaga.jpg
Roystonea-Nerja-Malaga-1.jpg
Roystonea-Nerja-Malaga-5.jpg
Roystonea-Nerja-Malaga-4.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Mallorca royal is a royal:

965724293_Mallorcaroyal.JPG.ea668105b51c5157e162b877e960b30a.JPG

Menton royal is an Archontophoenix

Menton.jpeg.0e70a592e833ea97fbc43ff8e67c5d4d.jpeg

Don't just read the last message!:)

I was referring to the Menton palm. It’s a royal, almost no doubt R regia. Definitely not Archontophoenix. For a start, the fronds are plumose. The trunk and leaf scars are also typical royal, whereas Archontophoenix have more prominent scars. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

1 hour ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

I was referring to the Menton palm. It’s a royal, almost no doubt R regia. Definitely not Archontophoenix. For a start, the fronds are plumose. The trunk and leaf scars are also typical royal, whereas Archontophoenix have more prominent scars. 

In my opinion it is not Roystonea, the leaves are ruined by the wind and salt, the plumose appearance on the right is due to the overlap in the photo of two leaves, if you look carefully the leaflets are arranged on the same plane, moreover the last ring is greenish.

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

I don't know if the Menton one is a Royal. It could be. With a small "research" I've seen that in fact there were 2 of these palms, both identical, but one is already dead.

They were planted with a decent size in late 2018 (in some works they've done, in 2017-2018 street views the beach was at work, but in the 2019-2020 ones both can be seen already) yet it seems the growth since they were planted is almost non-existant. It's also dodgy because in one pic it resembles a R.Regia but in another one it resembles an Archontophoenix. 

aaaaaa1.png

But as of July 2021 one was already dead. The another one was quite damaged. Both appear on Google Maps. Palm experts, judge by the links from below.

aaaaaa2.png

Somewhere in 2020 where both can be seen (it says December 2020 but it's a mistake, since many people are in bikini, some even bathing, I'd say June or September) 
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7785434,7.5076881,3a,89.1y,64.49h,69.32t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipNQVyWnbwww6iC7FmOZj1USKU71xTFdFenSH_Og!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNQVyWnbwww6iC7FmOZj1USKU71xTFdFenSH_Og%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya158.47874-ro0-fo100!7i12000!8i6000

July 2021 (one is dead, the another one is damaged) here is where I started doubting about the species.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7782615,7.5074977,3a,18.7y,33.67h,86.68t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipO7ImR5aEyn1whC1E-4M_E-Row2mT9_IyEDKSPf!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipO7ImR5aEyn1whC1E-4M_E-Row2mT9_IyEDKSPf%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya151.95378-ro-0-fo100!7i11264!8i5632

After seeing the 2021 pic from this perspective, I'm doubting if it's a Royal or not. But from the 2020 pic it seems like a Royal. I'm not such an expert so I'll leave it to y'all!

@bubba @tim_brissy_13 @pietropuccio @RedRabbit @gilles06

Edited by Alicante
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Now that I can see all and clearly the crown, I correct myself, Roystonea, evidently suffering. Sorry. :(

Thank you, Alicante!

• Like 1

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

Now that I can see all and clearly the crown, I correct myself, Roystonea, evidently suffering. Sorry. :(

Thank you, Alicante!

I was thinking the same, especially because on the 1st pic they clearly looked as Roystoneas for me as well, although I'm not an expert on identifying palms. 

It seems both species were planted in late 2018 with the same size, they had already some years when they were planted. The one from the left died, the trunk can be actually seen between the bench and the right column of the porch or whatever that is. So the left one survived 2 winters, the right one is still alive. Or at least it was in late 2021. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Alicante said:

Meanwhile in southern Spain, at latitudes above 37ºN they just grow like champs! I've posted here on PalmTalk pics about the biggest specimen I've ever spotted in mainland Spain, it was one that it was at least 20 meters (66 ft) tall somewhere in Málaga. That one was really old and it was giant, something impossible to match elsewhere in Europe. 

These ones from below are at least 10m/33ft and they're in Nerja, Málaga province. Just look at the forecast and you'll understand why they grow like authentic champs.

Roystonea-Nerja-Malaga.jpg
Roystonea-Nerja-Malaga-1.jpg
Roystonea-Nerja-Malaga-5.jpg
Roystonea-Nerja-Malaga-4.jpg

Beautiful Royals in Malaga. And some are flowering. It would be interesting to know if they will have viable seeds and how north that would be possible.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stelios said:

Beautiful Royals in Malaga. And some are flowering. It would be interesting to know if they will have viable seeds and how north that would be possible.

Hey Stelios, the pics were posted in late 2018 in a Spanish Gardening Forum. According to the author, he grabbed many Roystonea seeds, as he said "the ground was packed with them" I'll leave the link below. He also posted some giant Syagrus pics.

I will also try to hunt the Caribbean sized Royals I've posted here on the forum some years ago but unfortunately lost because of Tinypic's closure. I think they were in Almuñecar, Motril, Nerja or somewhere in that coast. What I know it was in a smaller city east of Málaga. I hope I can find them in Google Maps!

https://foro.infojardin.com/threads/roystonea-regia-nerja-malaga-fotos.95734/

The last ones are planted directly in the sand on the beach, and they seem to enjoy it. No synthetic fertilizers, all is natural.

Edited by Alicante
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Alicante said:

I don't know if the Menton one is a Royal. It could be. With a small "research" I've seen that in fact there were 2 of these palms, both identical, but one is already dead.

They were planted with a decent size in late 2018 (in some works they've done, in 2017-2018 street views the beach was at work, but in the 2019-2020 ones both can be seen already) yet it seems the growth since they were planted is almost non-existant. It's also dodgy because in one pic it resembles a R.Regia but in another one it resembles an Archontophoenix. 

aaaaaa1.png

But as of July 2021 one was already dead. The another one was quite damaged. Both appear on Google Maps. Palm experts, judge by the links from below.

aaaaaa2.png

Somewhere in 2020 where both can be seen (it says December 2020 but it's a mistake, since many people are in bikini, some even bathing, I'd say June or September) 
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7785434,7.5076881,3a,89.1y,64.49h,69.32t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipNQVyWnbwww6iC7FmOZj1USKU71xTFdFenSH_Og!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNQVyWnbwww6iC7FmOZj1USKU71xTFdFenSH_Og%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya158.47874-ro0-fo100!7i12000!8i6000

July 2021 (one is dead, the another one is damaged) here is where I started doubting about the species.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7782615,7.5074977,3a,18.7y,33.67h,86.68t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipO7ImR5aEyn1whC1E-4M_E-Row2mT9_IyEDKSPf!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipO7ImR5aEyn1whC1E-4M_E-Row2mT9_IyEDKSPf%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya151.95378-ro-0-fo100!7i11264!8i5632

After seeing the 2021 pic from this perspective, I'm doubting if it's a Royal or not. But from the 2020 pic it seems like a Royal. I'm not such an expert so I'll leave it to y'all!

@bubba @tim_brissy_13 @pietropuccio @RedRabbit @gilles06

Outstanding research @Alicante! I’ll be interested to know how the one remaining royal does. I know archontophoenix also live in Menton too so it would seem like a royal would do well there too, unless their climate needs are more dissimilar than I think. 

9 hours ago, bubba said:

WOW! The Malaga Royals are bulldacious!

Malaga has some great palms, the climate there is about the same as San Diego. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think this is the oldest and tallest roystonea in Málaga, and probably in Spain and in Europe. The garden dates back to the 19th century ( 1850 ). It is opposite La Cocepción botanical garden, and it belonged to the same family.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.7590314,-4.4244459,3a,33y,154.77h,101.64t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipNlw21lArcvgpCYECnh52xbdcsyqlnfsdjCzGy7!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNlw21lArcvgpCYECnh52xbdcsyqlnfsdjCzGy7%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi0-ya9.401508-ro-0-fo100!7i7200!8i3600

This is a picture of it in a book about gardens in Málaga.

This other one was inside La Concepción, but it crashed in the wind a long time ago. It was the same age.

These two are in Almuñecar. They were planted in the late 1980s, along with many other species of palms and tropical trees. Have a look at the seeds! There are many others in the same town, and in Andalucia as a whole, along with south eastern Spain.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.7355063,-3.6908591,3a,75y,352.03h,114.88t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1so3exhXY4MGJ9xQF37W3uyA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

You can still see some dypsis madagascariensis ( lucubensis, back then ) packed with seeds in the streets. They are mixed with syagrus.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.7397896,-3.6983849,3a,60y,40.49h,121.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3aHWGOdeg8K0cYaxDugz7g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Málaga could be considered as a 10b zone, and even 11a in downtown areas.

That roystonea in Menton is a jewel. I wish they would plant more.

By the way, have a look at this ficus lyrata in Málaga. It died in 1981. The picture was taken n 1975.

nadales.jpg

concepción.jpg

Lyrata.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

today i wanted to see the royal of Menton! It is 40 min by car from my home so i had to do it.

Here are some pics from today, that's clearly a royal, in bad state. I think it laked from watering the last summer... I give it 50% chance to survive for long term.

Today it is the nothernmost!

IMG_20220123_121018_resized_20220123_043729254.jpg

IMG_20220123_121041_resized_20220123_043729911.jpg

IMG_20220123_121112_resized_20220123_043730964.jpg

IMG_20220123_140506_resized_20220123_044840878.jpg

IMG_20220123_140541_resized_20220123_044839470.jpg

IMG_20220123_140606_resized_20220123_044838355.jpg

IMG_20220123_140715_resized_20220123_044801963.jpg

IMG_20220123_140745_resized_20220123_044800950.jpg

IMG_20220123_140801_resized_20220123_044759858.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

1 hour ago, gilles06 said:

today i wanted to see the royal of Menton! It is 40 min by car from my home so i had to do it.

Here are some pics from today, that's clearly a royal, in bad state. I think it laked from watering the last summer... I give it 50% chance to survive for long term.

Thanks for making the drive! Not gonna lie, kind of jealous you live so close. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hey Alicante. Did you know of the two over 150 years old roystonea regias in Málaga I mentioned before? 

What do you think about it?

As for the one in Mentón, that means that having survived 3 winters outdoors, in the ground and not being sheltered. If it were planted 50/100 metres away, close to the buildings in the city, it would get 1/2 degrees warmer in winter an summer. And the 50% chance of survival Giles06 mentions, would become a 100% chance. 

It could also be planted from Toulon to Genoa (44ºN).

This part of the south coast of France. The south coast in Spain from Algeciras to Alicante. South of Sicily, Greece, Crete, Cyprus, Turquey, and Russia ( Sochi, Tuapsé, Sujumi, Batumi, etc. 

all are sheltered by high mountain ranges from northern cold and wind, enabling them to become a one higher usda zone. 

We were talking abouta completely different story if south coasts of the UK and the USA had such mountains. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, gilles06 said:

RIP his left twin, let's see how this champ will do it out there! At the moment, southern France is having a good winter. I think it will pass this one as well. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 11:00 AM, gurugu said:

I think this is the oldest and tallest roystonea in Málaga, and probably in Spain and in Europe. The garden dates back to the 19th century ( 1850 ). It is opposite La Cocepción botanical garden, and it belonged to the same family.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.7590314,-4.4244459,3a,33y,154.77h,101.64t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipNlw21lArcvgpCYECnh52xbdcsyqlnfsdjCzGy7!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNlw21lArcvgpCYECnh52xbdcsyqlnfsdjCzGy7%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi0-ya9.401508-ro-0-fo100!7i7200!8i3600

This is a picture of it in a book about gardens in Málaga.

This other one was inside La Concepción, but it crashed in the wind a long time ago. It was the same age.

These two are in Almuñecar. They were planted in the late 1980s, along with many other species of palms and tropical trees. Have a look at the seeds! There are many others in the same town, and in Andalucia as a whole, along with south eastern Spain.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.7355063,-3.6908591,3a,75y,352.03h,114.88t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1so3exhXY4MGJ9xQF37W3uyA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

You can still see some dypsis madagascariensis ( lucubensis, back then ) packed with seeds in the streets. They are mixed with syagrus.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.7397896,-3.6983849,3a,60y,40.49h,121.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3aHWGOdeg8K0cYaxDugz7g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Málaga could be considered as a 10b zone, and even 11a in downtown areas.

That roystonea in Menton is a jewel. I wish they would plant more.

By the way, have a look at this ficus lyrata in Málaga. It died in 1981. The picture was taken n 1975.

nadales.jpg

concepción.jpg

Lyrata.jpg

Enorme!!! Gracias. :yay:
These were actually the Roystoneas I was talking about and looking for. Heck I did remember they probably were in Almuñecar (as I said few days ago) but I was looking for parks and near the beach, not inside the town itself. But now I remember the pics I've posted here years ago had buildings around, so makes sense. 

Guys, these are the Cuban sized Royals I was talking about. Although there are even bigger specimens thanks to the contribution of @gurugu (you're a legend dude)

You can see how they've grown up from 2008 to 2019 with the Street View Timeline (upper left corner) and they give tooons of seeds. Someone has to grab them to fill Málaga with even more Roystoneas. I've seen that in the southern coast of Spain, Roystoneas are common now. I hope they will supersede Syagrus over the following years. 

Wow! This Dypsis Street is astonishing. Look at their size! They're giants!! I suggest that we should call this street "Dypsis Street" as the actual name is boring, Dypsis fits better. :P

1 hour ago, gurugu said:

Hey Alicante. Did you know of the two over 150 years old roystonea regias in Málaga I mentioned before? 

What do you think about it?

As for the one in Mentón, that means that having survived 3 winters outdoors, in the ground and not being sheltered. If it were planted 50/100 metres away, close to the buildings in the city, it would get 1/2 degrees warmer in winter an summer. And the 50% chance of survival Giles06 mentions, would become a 100% chance. 

It could also be planted from Toulon to Genoa (44ºN).

This part of the south coast of France. The south coast in Spain from Algeciras to Alicante. South of Sicily, Greece, Crete, Cyprus, Turquey, and Russia ( Sochi, Tuapsé, Sujumi, Batumi, etc. 

all are sheltered by high mountain ranges from northern cold and wind, enabling them to become a one higher usda zone. 

We were talking abouta completely different story if south coasts of the UK and the USA had such mountains. 

I actually didn't know about the over 150 year old ones in Málaga. Thank you for such a privileged information! 

On a side note, actually the southern coast of UK (honorable mention to the Scilly Isles) has an even better protection than any mountain range. They have the ocean currents, The Scilly Isles at 50ºN have actually a 10a Hardiness Zone which tells us everything. Freezes are rare in Scilly, and they're at 50ºN! They even have good looking NIkau Palms!

What you see here below is actually England. It's called Tresco Abbey Gardens and it's located in Scilly, Cornwall (England, UK) enjoy! 

IMG_2745.jpg

Tresco CIPD 2.jpg

Tresco CIPD 1.jpg

• Like 2

I need to check but Tresco on the Isles of Scilly at 50N may have a Royal planted out…? They definitely have some Archontophoenix, Kentia, Rhopalostylis etc growing there, which don’t get protected. I wouldn’t be shocked if there is a Royal planted out. They haven’t had a frost there for 4 years now, going back to Feb 2018. Daytime temps may be an issue though for Roystonea. I know their Archontophoenix seems to be growing fine without problem though.

Edited by UK_Palms
  • Like 1

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

3 hours ago, UK_Palms said:

I need to check but Tresco on the Isles of Scilly at 50N may have a Royal planted out…? They definitely have some Archontophoenix, Kentia, Rhopalostylis etc growing there, which don’t get protected. I wouldn’t be shocked if there is a Royal planted out. They haven’t had a frost there for 4 years now, going back to Feb 2018. Daytime temps may be an issue though for Roystonea. I know their Archontophoenix seems to be growing fine without problem though.

Do you have any pic showing that Archontophoenix? That should be by far the most extreme boundary for an Archontophoenix. It was actually looking good?
About Roystoneas I really think it can't simply happen there. It's the lack of heat basically during the entire year. Not even a single month above 20ºC and Cubans like warmth!

Edited by Alicante
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 11:03 AM, gilles06 said:

Wow that’s crazy! It doesn’t really look good but it’s alive! 

PalmTreeDude

Thanks Alicante.

Certainly Tresco gardens are beautiful and a rarity for its latitude, but there are others quite similar: Tremendhere, Abbotsbury and Inverewe which is in Scotland, and many more. Obviously Kew is the best. I´ve been twice, and it is astonishing. Everything thanks to the Gulf Stream.

I was wrong. The second picture in black and white with the roystonea I said it had been blown away ( or so it said the author of the book: J.A. Del Cañizo, a famous agronomist engineer), it isn´t. This is it. I took the pic four years ago when I was there for the last time. It is taaaall, and over 150 years old.

More roystoneas in Almuñecar:

These ones were planted at the same time as the two big ones I sent the other day.

These ones.

The difference in size is because these are watered and even fertilized.

Now in Málaga. Lately many have been planted, like these.

Which are right here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.7129821,-4.4521344,3a,75y,307.86h,102.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjyqEkoR7KfjvKT9k_R1kbQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

These ones are in El Molino del Inca.

This one is a R. Oleracea.

And this one a R. Borinquena. Both in Málaga capital.

And a bonus. This is a Licuala grandis. It is planted in a big pot, and it is inside a huge well but in the open, where spring water flows, so, lots of humidity.

IMG_20180214_132832.jpg

IMG_20180211_115209.jpg

IMG_20180212_140006.jpg

IMG_20180212_174937.jpg

IMG_20180213_114522.jpg

IMG_20180212_112743.jpg

IMG_20180215_123515.jpg

IMG_20180217_113312.jpg

IMG_20180214_170906.jpg

IMG_20180214_170922.jpg

IMG_20180217_132922.jpg

IMG_20180217_132922.jpg

IMG_20180214_174411.jpg

• Like 6

23 hours ago, gurugu said:

Thanks Alicante.

Certainly Tresco gardens are beautiful and a rarity for its latitude, but there are others quite similar: Tremendhere, Abbotsbury and Inverewe which is in Scotland, and many more. Obviously Kew is the best. I´ve been twice, and it is astonishing. Everything thanks to the Gulf Stream.

I was wrong. The second picture in black and white with the roystonea I said it had been blown away ( or so it said the author of the book: J.A. Del Cañizo, a famous agronomist engineer), it isn´t. This is it. I took the pic four years ago when I was there for the last time. It is taaaall, and over 150 years old.

More roystoneas in Almuñecar:

These ones were planted at the same time as the two big ones I sent the other day.

These ones.

The difference in size is because these are watered and even fertilized.

Now in Málaga. Lately many have been planted, like these.

Which are right here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.7129821,-4.4521344,3a,75y,307.86h,102.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjyqEkoR7KfjvKT9k_R1kbQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

These ones are in El Molino del Inca.

This one is a R. Oleracea.

And this one a R. Borinquena. Both in Málaga capital.

And a bonus. This is a Licuala grandis. It is planted in a big pot, and it is inside a huge well but in the open, where spring water flows, so, lots of humidity.

IMG_20180214_132832.jpg

IMG_20180211_115209.jpg

IMG_20180212_140006.jpg

IMG_20180212_174937.jpg

IMG_20180213_114522.jpg

IMG_20180212_112743.jpg

IMG_20180215_123515.jpg

IMG_20180217_113312.jpg

IMG_20180214_170906.jpg

IMG_20180214_170922.jpg

IMG_20180217_132922.jpg

IMG_20180217_132922.jpg

IMG_20180214_174411.jpg

I almost don't have words to express all of that beauty found in all of these pics. 

But the Roystonea Promenade / Avenue in Málaga that is hundreds of meters long is just breathtaking!

This area is naturally blessed by enormous mountains that block the cold coming from the north. Because of that, the climate of the southern coastal stretch of Spain is unique in Europe. The amount of tropical palms, fruits and flowers that grow there is unbelievable for that latitude. We see Cuban Sized Royals at almost 37ºN dude. That's madness!!!

I have a full list of palms that grow in Málaga (well, also in the named "Costa del Sol" and "Costa Tropical" which goes from Adra to Estepona) as well as an extended list of ultra tropical fruits that grow there. I've made some posts weeks ago here in the forum. I'll leave the links below. I think I will also make a separate thread for both with lots of pics inside, as this thread is actually just about Roystoneas. But it would be a very interesting thread given the fact it's Europe and at a 37ºN latitude while it's not exactly an island in the middle of the ocean. Very impressive what's seen there. They are naturally blessed during winters. Even during cold spells their highs are still decent. That makes the difference! 

PS. Málaga will start the next week with 20-21ºC highs and that's not even strange for them as it's barely 2ºC above the February average (18ºC) in the official Airport station. 

1st link is the full list of palms grown in Málaga, 2nd link is the list of ultra tropical fruits and as a bonus, 3rd link is the "Roystonea Jungle" in Málaga. Enjoy! ^_^

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/69983-growing-cocos-nucifera-coconut-in-marginal-climates-outside-the-tropical-monsoon-in-subtropical-mediterranean-type-climate-methods-used/&page=2&tab=comments#comment-1024975

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/69983-growing-cocos-nucifera-coconut-in-marginal-climates-outside-the-tropical-monsoon-in-subtropical-mediterranean-type-climate-methods-used/&page=2&tab=comments#comment-1024972

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/69983-growing-cocos-nucifera-coconut-in-marginal-climates-outside-the-tropical-monsoon-in-subtropical-mediterranean-type-climate-methods-used/&page=2&tab=comments#comment-1024976

Also the beautiful tropical tree that gives these amazing red flowers called Flamboyant / Royal Poinciana (Delonix Regia) is not uncommon in that area. 

When I've been looking for the giant Roystoneas you've posted before, I found some other decent sized Flamboyant trees in private gardens. Some even in public gardens!

EBRy4ryXkAAeUUB?format=jpg&name=large

Delonix-Regia-Flamboyan-Chiclana-Cadiz-2

0e4362_6200f7bb7d424644b29fa15cf258159e~

I'm editing to also add another pic of 2 of my favorite Roystoneas in Málaga. They're in a big public park filled with lots of different exotic palms.

Roystoneas-Malaga-Park.png

Edited by Alicante
  • Like 3

Here's one of my favorite pictures of Malaga palmy promenade

IMG_20190216_171634.jpg

Edited by dalmatiansoap
  • Like 4

• 7 months later...
On 1/23/2022 at 5:03 PM, gilles06 said:

7 months later, the supposed royal is still alive:greenthumb:.  However, I would say that it should receive more water in summer as the soil seemed to be quite dry. Also, the palm would benefit from a protected, less windy location like it exists in some coastal gardens like "Jardin Maria Serena" .

IMG_20220830_170502.thumb.jpg.530e6ff8a3e032465fbf411f89d2cf0f.jpgIMG_20220830_170807.thumb.jpg.80e76fa50481f8faf12774eac13b17ad.jpg

• Like 3