IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Member from Michigan

AndyAndy

Hello to everyone. This is my first post on this forum. I was a long time member of what used to be "gardenweb". I live in Farmington Hills Michigan and have been growing palms and other tropicals for about 11 years. Everything I grow is potted "although I have grown cold hardy palms in the ground before. I'm in zone 6A. I currently have a Trachy Fort., two 6 year old Bottle Palms (I started from seed), a Butia, A couple of Washintonia Filiferas I started from seed last winter, and a couple of Sabal Minors (got one to bloom for the first time last spring).Various other non-palm tropicals (including a lime tree and pineapple plant) Anyone else up here in the north with the bitten by the palm tree bug? I've even grown coconut palms up here. I'll post some pictures soon

Thank you,

AndyAndy

Andy, welcome to PalmTalk. Maybe the Moderator can move your topic to the Discussing Palms Subforum where it will get more attention. We have a Forum Member, Steve in Michigan, who posts regularly and has a large assortment of potted palms. Please do post photos of your palms in the Discussing and/or Coldhardy subforums. Everyone here loves photos and appreciates what you must go through every winter to protect your prized palms.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 1 year later...
On 10/26/2015, 3:56:10, AndyAndy said:

Hello to everyone. This is my first post on this forum. I was a long time member of what used to be "gardenweb". I live in Farmington Hills Michigan and have been growing palms and other tropicals for about 11 years. Everything I grow is potted "although I have grown cold hardy palms in the ground before. I'm in zone 6A. I currently have a Trachy Fort., two 6 year old Bottle Palms (I started from seed), a Butia, A couple of Washintonia Filiferas I started from seed last winter, and a couple of Sabal Minors (got one to bloom for the first time last spring).Various other non-palm tropicals (including a lime tree and pineapple plant) Anyone else up here in the north with the bitten by the palm tree bug? I've even grown coconut palms up here. I'll post some pictures soon

Thank you,

AndyAndy

Oh wow!   You're over here too!   I used to be in there all the time.  I know a few of us from there are here.  Myself and Jimhardy for one.  I was NoVAPlantGuy.     Glad I found this.  Welcome aboard.  Hope to see you around more!   

I remember you from GW, I used to pop in there now and then. Welcome to PalmTalk! It's about time you showed up here. B)  You will find lots of like-minded people in the Cold Hardy Palms section of the forums.  I imagine your plantings have come a long way over the years, and I look forward to seeing some photos of your successes.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

• 7 years later...
On 12/30/2023 at 5:24 AM, Leelanau Palms said:

Any updates or pictures from southeast Michigan?

probably not considering OP has not been active for a long time

My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@dts_3

On 12/30/2023 at 6:24 AM, Leelanau Palms said:

Any updates or pictures from southeast Michigan?

Optimism. Positivity. Curiosity.

Zone 6b maritime climate