IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Free Chamadorea radicalis seeds!

DoomsDave

• 2 weeks later...

dance!

dancing14.gif.9c24722ee7cd9c2f4b2d5e36c9

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Soak them for a few days, to a week

Plant in potting soil 12 cm deep, more or less

cover 1 cm

keep moist

wait

dance when they sprout

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 weeks later...

Dance!

599b4a1d8f1bf_peanutscharacterdance.gif.599b4a251829c_peanutswalkingman.gif.917c

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Ilovepalm said:

Why my seedlings are so elongated?

Perhaps due to low light conditions compared to the others?  Or you might have a different variety - there is a trunkless variety and also a tree variety which has a stem similar to bamboo.  If that's the case I guess you'll have to wait to see which type you have.  I just planted my seeds yesterday and I'm really looking forward to growing several of these regardless of the variety.  It seems like I have some pretty good native soil for growing it and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that they can handle full sun!  Not much shade yet here at my new location.

Jon

Jon Sunder

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

last weekend it was time to separate my Chamaedorea radicalis seedlings. First picture shows the big cluster, second all of them seperately. I planted them into different pods in groups and singles.

Thanks again Dave :greenthumb:

CRall.jpg

CRSEP.jpg

• Upvote 4

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

• 2 weeks later...

This is what my little seedlings look like today. Many differences between them though..

20170924_113227.thumb.jpg.9ff4a3f6871b67

Next spring most of them will be planted out in a protected spot in my garden, protected by a bunch of Trachycarpus. Hope they'll survive next years' winter in Amsterdam!

• Upvote 5

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Kai,

how old are your seedlings? Mine are now nearly 5 month old. Are yours the ones from 2015?

I will give some of them to friends here in Germany who love palms too..

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

Everyone:

The seeds I sent were from a number of different sources, and from both bush and tree type C. radicalis.

I'll be curious to see how many end up as "bush type"; it appears that the tree type is "dominant" under Mendelian genetic theory, which means that a bush plant crossed with a tree type will give you tree type babies the first generation.

These are one of the very best indoor palms; they stay small, but they're sturdy and take indoor conditions very well.

Let us all know how yours grow!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Everyone:

The seeds I sent were from a number of different sources, and from both bush and tree type C. radicalis.

I'll be curious to see how many end up as "bush type"; it appears that the tree type is "dominant" under Mendelian genetic theory, which means that a bush plant crossed with a tree type will give you tree type babies the first generation.

These are one of the very best indoor palms; they stay small, but they're sturdy and take indoor conditions very well.

Let us all know how yours grow!

In foreground radicalis dwarf and in background radicalis dwarf x trunking. Former is about 2 to 3 years older than latter and one year earlier in the ground.

59c92f3f42c93_radicalisx.thumb.jpg.e5dd259c92f4bdc3fb_radicalisx2.thumb.jpg.3030

• Upvote 3

On 8/24/2017, 7:35:38, Ilovepalm said:

Why my seedlings are so elongated?

They might be stretched from low light, or they might be the tall type. The tall ones start growing upwards almost immediately; short ones stay short. Tall is a relative term; I've never seen any taller than 2 M (6 feet) or thereabout.

On 9/24/2017, 5:50:33, Kai said:

This is what my little seedlings look like today. Many differences between them though..

20170924_113227.thumb.jpg.9ff4a3f6871b67

Next spring most of them will be planted out in a protected spot in my garden, protected by a bunch of Trachycarpus. Hope they'll survive next years' winter in Amsterdam!

That looks like a tall type.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Phoenikakias said:

In foreground radicalis dwarf and in background radicalis dwarf x trunking. Former is about 2 to 3 years older than latter and one year earlier in the ground.

59c92f3f42c93_radicalisx.thumb.jpg.e5dd259c92f4bdc3fb_radicalisx2.thumb.jpg.3030

The tall type grow up to full height fairly quickly, sometimes in two or three years. Then they stop putting on vertical height, and focus on making seeds. Soon you'll have radicalis multiplying like rabbits all over your garden!

Good Day Dave,

I've been watching one of mine that I got from you. Strange growing type compared to the others. Now I understand why. Thanks for the important information. This is a keeper! It's only 67cm. compared to the one next to it being 139 cm. Zenon

59c96ee68c337_ChamRad1.thumb.jpg.08a647b

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2017, 2:11:53, ZenMan 1 said:

Good Day Dave,

I've been watching one of mine that I got from you. Strange growing type compared to the others. Now I understand why. Thanks for the important information. This is a keeper! It's only 67cm. compared to the one next to it being 139 cm. Zenon

59c96ee68c337_ChamRad1.thumb.jpg.08a647b

You've got a mixed bag for sure.

Whenever I get or harvest seed, it all goes in one bag, and everyone takes "potluck"!

Oh poos...I should have grabbed some of these when the going was good

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Update! :D

One year old seedlings are now in separate pots.

PA100778.jpg

PA100779.jpg

This year seedlings are growing.

First batch in one pot

PA100783.jpg

PA100784.jpg

Second batch in other pot

PA100787.jpg

PA100788.jpg

• Upvote 3

On 10/9/2017, 7:22:42, peachy said:

Oh poos...I should have grabbed some of these when the going was good

See my PM

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017. 10. 11. 오전, DoomsDave said:

I send you photos of the arrival!

I am quite surprised by the speed of mail!

Thank you again for your kind offer and

I will try my best to flourish the descendants of your palms( maybe your friends palms!)

the stamp looks cool too :)

by the way RPS still didn't charge me! hahaha:lol:

20171021_082755.jpg

20171021_074620.jpg

• Upvote 3

Soak em a while a few days

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Dave. Greetings from Finland. Here are my C. radicalis seedlings. They are now 8 months old. Everything has grown well. No problems at all. I gave a few seeds to my friend and also her own grown up well. So thank you very much.
P.S. I danced. :D

20171031.jpg

• Upvote 4

On 10/31/2017, 1:55:01, cisco said:

Hello Dave. Greetings from Finland. Here are my C. radicalis seedlings. They are now 8 months old. Everything has grown well. No problems at all. I gave a few seeds to my friend and also her own grown up well. So thank you very much.
P.S. I danced. :D

20171031.jpg

So did I!

• Upvote 2

Hello, i received the seeds on monday, thanks you so much! Cleaned, soaked en in the baggy they go :-) can't wait to see signs of growth!

P_20171108_124725.jpg

• Upvote 3

A little update: they are fine, a few are pushing its tird leaf and some of them have been attacked by leafhoppers (my mallow hibiscus had taken the worst part). Clearly, there are differences among them, some have more leathery leaves than the rest and stay short too. Let's see how to lead with the winter. They will be separated next spring.

IMG_9387.jpg

• Upvote 4

08053.gif

Dave, thanks for sharing!  Here's some of your palm progeny.  I have one that is VERY small compared to the rest.  Do you think it's a genetic dwarf?  If it's small from being shaded by adjacent seedlings in the community pot, I would have expected it to become etiolated.  They're all going into individual pots or in the ground come spring.  Fingers crossed it stays tiny!  It's the wee one front left in the pics from the side:

IMG_20171126_120214.jpg

IMG_20171126_120204.jpg

IMG_20171126_120052.jpg

• Upvote 4

Dave seeds arrive today i hope they will germinate fast...thanks

20171129_160713.jpg

• Upvote 1

Palm enthusiast in cold climate

***USDA Hardiness Zones 7a/7b*** AHS heat zone 7***

On 11/26/2017, 9:06:56, fishmanejr said:

Dave, thanks for sharing!  Here's some of your palm progeny.  I have one that is VERY small compared to the rest.  Do you think it's a genetic dwarf?  If it's small from being shaded by adjacent seedlings in the community pot, I would have expected it to become etiolated.  They're all going into individual pots or in the ground come spring.  Fingers crossed it stays tiny!  It's the wee one front left in the pics from the side:

IMG_20171126_120214.jpg

IMG_20171126_120204.jpg

IMG_20171126_120052.jpg

You have at least one bush-type baby!

On 11/29/2017, 7:13:04, bukezi said:

Dave seeds arrive today i hope they will germinate fast...thanks

20171129_160713.jpg

DANCE!

On 11/15/2017, 5:58:53, Sanips said:

A little update: they are fine, a few are pushing its tird leaf and some of them have been attacked by leafhoppers (my mallow hibiscus had taken the worst part). Clearly, there are differences among them, some have more leathery leaves than the rest and stay short too. Let's see how to lead with the winter. They will be separated next spring.

IMG_9387.jpg

dance!

On 11/19/2017, 8:03:08, NickyB said:

Yes please if you still have some!

pm sent

See my PM. Looks like you sent a status message I didn't see.

Dave, are you saying the one very tiny seedling is a bush type? Or are you noticing others in the community pot and the tiny seedling is an anomaly?  Sorry, this is my first go at growing a Chamaedorea sp.!