IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Free Chamadorea radicalis seeds!

DoomsDave

Howdyall, it's that time again.

The Chamadorea rads have been seeding and now they're available for all who want some.

Free.

Send me a Private Message (PM) with your address and I'll mail them, anywhere in the world. Please say "Free radicalis seed" or something like that in the subject line. If you've gotten seeds before, you can get more. This is to spread palm love. I'll wait a couple of weeks before sending out seed, to see how many want some.

In years past, they've gone to Japan, Phillipines, Poland, Russia, England, Sweden, Croatia (expletive), France, and even (gasp!) Madagascar! As well as many places in the USA.

This has been a popular giveaway, and why not? The palms are small, take heat, cold, drought, will grow outdoors in places you might not even imagine palms surviving. They're a mix of bush and tree type. The tree types only get about 2 M (6 feet, more or less) tall. So, unless you're in a really low-ceiling house, they'll stay in a pot for life. They'll take 20 F outside, even lower if protected. They're best in shade, but will survive sun. Remember, these are Death Camp Grown(TM). If you kill the plants, well, we all have problems.

If I'm forced to ration because of large response, I'll give preference to those in cold places. I have lots of other seeds for those of you in warm places. BUT! So far, hasn't happened.

071.thumb.JPG.9c140ffe2b5f09ac496e3adb65

Put in potting soil, cover lightly, keep moist and wait. THEY MAY TAKE A WHILE TO GERMINATE. Like six months or more. Don't just dump them if they don't pop up right away. If you're worried, squeeze a few seeds between fingers; if they're hard and not rotted, wait. Once they grow, they're tough [expletives] take drought, egad, ironclad.

• Upvote 4

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I've received 9 requests so far.

There's plenty more to go around.

As mentioned above, I'll wait about a week longer then send out all at once.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So far, 12 requests.

Keep 'em coming. I could do an easy 30.

These are small, easy to mail.

Great popular giveaway.

I have plenty of seeds yet!

Give me a request, via PM and say "Free Chamadorea seeds" or something like that.

If you got some last year and they didn't grow, ask again and I'll send more.

If you got some last year and they grew and you want some more

ask

again and

I'll send more!

These are cute little plants that will grow for decades in your home or office. (There even was one in the local DMV that seemed to appreciate the invective that flew everywhere.)

I'm holding off on mailing for a while longer, so I can send out all at once, gag my mailbox of Doom.

P.S., sorry I can't provide invective, you'll have to get your own.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

would love some seed here in NJ if you have any left!  Tried to send a pm but computer is not working right for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...

And we have lift off!

This morning i spotted first green above soil level. 2 months (sows Nov 20) at just above room temp, baggie technique.

("Doom is now spreading across Europe...")

Thx Dave!

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2016, 9:09:45, Henoh said:

Maybe I'm too late...I want some, if any left. Pm sent

Never say it's too late :)  Seeds arrived yesterday in Zagreb. Thank you Dave!

• Upvote 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2016, 9:10:04, redbeard917 said:

Community pot of Dave's radicalis seeds. Thanks again!

IMG_20160731_104019885.jpg

Those are adorable babies; but they don't look like baby rads, which have bifid first leaves. Those appear to have a single leaf, like washies do.

It was just a bad angle. They are bifid.

One of your radicalis babies from last year is going into a friend's garden soon here in Tallahassee.

IMG_20160814_132428037.jpg

• Upvote 2

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Okay!

If they're rads, they're like Rad! Tötally tübularly so . . .

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
20 hours ago, redbeard917 said:

This crate holds 20 of Dave's babies perfectly. Potted up today from last year's freebie section.

IMG_20161114_150832410.jpg

Ain't dat' cute!

With a little luck and TLC, they'll be big enough to start setting seeds of their own in a year or two.

They're tough little things. One of the best confidence builders for beginners, and confidence restorers for the rest of us.

This one has been on my radar for some time now. One day the stars will align. :D Nice palm starts !

Cheers, Barrie.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately my luck wasn't so good. I'm not sure if a deer or rabbit or squirrel did it. I have a few Chamaedorea radicalis left for some reason. They completely cleaned me out of Butia catarinensis, Arenga ryukyuensis, Allagoptera arenaria, and Livistona drudei, which were all a bit larger. They ignored everything else for the most part so those species must taste better.

Well, at least I have a few surviving radicalis which I can protect with some metal hardware cloth which I'll be buying today, as well as a shoot on sight policy for furry critters.

IMG_20161129_084659937.jpg

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

44 minutes ago, redbeard917 said:

Unfortunately my luck wasn't so good. I'm not sure if a deer or rabbit or squirrel did it. I have a few Chamaedorea radicalis left for some reason. They completely cleaned me out of Butia catarinensis, Arenga ryukyuensis, Allagoptera arenaria, and Livistona drudei, which were all a bit larger. They ignored everything else for the most part so those species must taste better.

Well, at least I have a few surviving radicalis which I can protect with some metal hardware cloth which I'll be buying today, as well as a shoot on sight policy for furry critters.

IMG_20161129_084659937.jpg

OUCH!

See my PM

• 1 month later...

Here are two ( in the background)  from Dave a little over three years old. This picture was taken a week after taking 16f!!!! No damage! In the front is a Brahea dulcis completely defoliated with spear pulled. I would love more seeds next time you have any available, I want to have a forest of these babies!! 

IMG_20170114_141156.jpg

• Upvote 6

Blake

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2017, 2:38:02, blake_tx said:

Here are two ( in the background)  from Dave a little over three years old. This picture was taken a week after taking 16f!!!! No damage! In the front is a Brahea dulcis completely defoliated with spear pulled. I would love more seeds next time you have any available, I want to have a forest of these babies!! 

IMG_20170114_141156.jpg

Whoa

Sure enough nasty cold. Yike.

See my PM.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2017, 6:12:24, Beach palm said:

I would appreciate some seeds if you have any. The rabbits ate my plants down to nubs which killed them.

richard

I've got tons! Send me PM with address and I'll mail some to you!

14 hours ago, Brad Mondel said:

Mine rotted unfortunately. 

Shoot a PM with address and I'll send more.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2017, 6:38:01, Opal92 said:

Could I see what your "mother" plants look like, Dave?

They're from a friend's garden and he has both tall and short.

Hello Dave, This seems to be a tempting area to wander into for "Free radicalis seed" today. Is there any available at the moment? PM is the same as last time, do I need to send another? Thanks ZenMan 1

Please send one, so I don't forget, with address

I periodically remove old PMs to make room for new . . .

• 3 weeks later...

Always wanted one of these! But never did buy any as other difficult to find plants took my concentration lol. PM sent if you still have some! :D