IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

8.11 MB only allowed???

MattyB

After only uploading 3 pics in a reply (Peter's "White Triangle" thread) it wouldn't allow me to upload any more pics saying I'm only allowed 8.11 MB.  Even when I tried to upload additional pics into another reply box it still won't let me.  So you're only allowed 8.11MB total for an entire thread?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I think the forum is a little buggy after the new format. I had the same problem, but when I closed my browser and re-loaded the page it let me post more pictures (in a different reply). 

• Like 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Or just try refreshing the page and trying again.

But I would suggest using smaller pics. Such large photos/files use up a lot of disk space, and take much longer to upload and to view. This is especially a concern with the use of so many mobile platforms now. A 500Kb photo will look as good as a 3Mb photo (on most displays), and load 6 times faster.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

That makes sense, but of course not convenient at all.  Most people, like me, just snap a pic on their phone and upload it.  We don't want to mess with resizing.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

It's an extra step, but I use the Faststone image resizer. It's free and works well. I usually resize to 25% original (as it's an exact multiple of the original pixels to maintain the crisp quality). Then I upload to imgur so I don't have to deal with the image limitations here and still maintain control of the images after posting.

http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm

That makes sense, but of course not convenient at all.  Most people, like me, just snap a pic on their phone and upload it.  We don't want to mess with resizing.

I don't know all the ins and outs of the various phones, phone apps, or functions. But - is there a way to take a smaller size photo - like there are on normal cameras? If not, there should be.

But yeah, you are right, it takes me about 30 seconds longer to resize and post. But while doing so I can also improve the quality of the photo. So I am giving the viewers a better faster loading photo.

This is why I have not been posting photos.  I couldn't load ANY size photos, no matter how small I made them.  I was able to load a couple of iPhone photos.  I gave up.  I will try again, but not until home from Madagascar.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I think the last version at least limited it per post, which made sense. Now it seems to limit the images to 8MB per thread. A much more severe limitation.

I'll check in more detail when I return home on Wed evening. There could very well be some new setting somewhere that is not set correctly. 

Could someone please alert me to a topic where the 8MB limit has been reached and you can no longer upload photos.

Or just try refreshing the page and trying again.

I did this everytime the upload was denied. And i was finally able to upload every pics.

• Like 1

I'll check in more detail when I return home on Wed evening. There could very well be some new setting somewhere that is not set correctly. 

Could someone please alert me to a topic where the 8MB limit has been reached and you can no longer upload photos.

The user group setting is set to 8MB by default so it probably reverted.  It states 8.11MB max total size on every post here.

Zone 7a/b Delaware

Unusual Plants

This is why I have not been posting photos.  I couldn't load ANY size photos, no matter how small I made them.  I was able to load a couple of iPhone photos.  I gave up.  I will try again, but not until home from Madagascar.

Me too, no matter how small I resize them, still says it is too big to upload- not sure what to do at this point...... 

The user group setting is set to 8MB by default so it probably reverted.  It states 8.11MB max total size on every post here.

That is how it is supposed to be. But we are discussing topic limits, not post limits.

I'll ask again, "Could someone please alert me to a topic where the 8MB limit has been reached and you can no longer upload photos."

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone had any problems uploading pictures from their phone? 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Yes, one other user has reported a problem - I would like to know. And can you be more specific with what you mean by "problems."

8 hours ago, Josh-O said:

has anyone had any problems uploading pictures from their phone? 

Yes I have. Even pics that are way under 8mb. It's says unable to upload photo but dosent give a reason ???? Like matty B said nobody wants to mess around with all that resizing and whatever. It would be nice to take a pic and upload it.

I have not been able to upload any pics from my phone. It appears to download but fails at the last moment. The error does not give me a reason.

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

" There was a problem uploading the file"

Picture was 4.2 MB

OK - thanks guys - I have a support ticket in to the developers. But the last one from three days ago is still unanswered.

I can confirm that this is a problem with my iPhone as well. So apparently there is a bug with the new software update. And the support team is being very slow to respond. We will just have to wait.

8 hours ago, PALM MOD said:

I can confirm that this is a problem with my iPhone as well. So apparently there is a bug with the new software update. And the support team is being very slow to respond. We will just have to wait.

Thanks for looking into this Dean :) 

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Dean, I was able to post a download picture saved on my phone but not a picture taken by the phone and saved.

Maybe that helps?

Ok....I reduced a pic to 50% and saved then posted....that worked. But the original was only 4.2 MB ... ? Weird

6 hours ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

Ok....I reduced a pic to 50% and saved then posted....that worked. But the original was only 4.2 MB ... ? Weird

Thanks for the info, it helps - but I am unsure if you uploaded this photo via your phone, or what phone you have. Any and all information is required to pin things like this down. Android presents different issues than iPhone - and even the OS version can make a difference - whether the latest version, or an older one.

FYI - 4.2MB is a huge file by internet standards. These huge files that new phones are spitting out are becoming a problem for uploading and downloading to websites. They are certainly not necessary, and it's crazy to view files that large on small screens. A photo could be 1/8 that size and still look great on a computer monitor - and load 8 times as quickly, and take 1/8 the storage space.

I may have a lead on the phone photo uploading issue. And it may be corrected.

But I need you guys to confirm. So please try uploading, and it you are still unable to, please provide detailed information like: specifically what phone, what OS, wi-fi or cell service, where was the photo from (library or freshly taken), portrait or landscape, what sizes, what was the error message, etc.

Or if it is working for you, let me know too.

• 2 weeks later...

It's like the devices are the new gas guzzlers of the 21'st century.  It's unsustainable.  We're all gonna be told to conserve and go back to scratching pics on stone.

• Upvote 2

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

• 11 months later...

So what's the deal? I still have to resize my pics to be able to upload here. Then they look like crap after resizing and makes me not want to upload my crappies. 

On 11/5/2016, 2:37:46, Danilopez89 said:

So what's the deal? I still have to resize my pics to be able to upload here. Then they look like crap after resizing and makes me not want to upload my crappies. 

What are you using to resize? There is no reason they should look "like crap" after resizing if you are doing it correctly.

IMG_20161106_6155.thumb.jpg.95704f365f1d

I just use a resizing app I found a while back. This is the most resolution I can get without getting the "downloading  error" message . The size is 520kb.

That was weird. I edited my post and it erased my pic on this older one.

15 hours ago, Danilopez89 said:

I just use a resizing app I found a while back. This is the most resolution I can get without getting the "downloading  error" message . The size is 520kb.

Note that all resizing is not created equal. There is "file size" resizing, and actual "pixel size" resizing. I can't take the time to explain it all here. But reducing your resolution without changing the "physical" size of the photo only makes it blurry. And reducing the physical size only may only squeeze all the pixels closer together (DPI) and not change the file size much. But be assured, it is possible to resize your photos quickly and easily while retaining enough detail and resolution to display.

I resize to 1280 x 850 and 72 dpi for posting here. This makes photos around 500-1000KB 

• Upvote 1

On Sat Nov 12 2016 13:55:37 GMT-0800, PALM MOD said:

Note that all resizing is not created equal. There is "file size" resizing, and actual "pixel size" resizing. I can't take the time to explain it all here. But reducing your resolution without changing the "physical" size of the photo only makes it blurry. And reducing the physical size only may only squeeze all the pixels closer together (DPI) and not change the file size much. But be assured, it is possible to resize your photos quickly and easily while retaining enough detail and resolution to display.

I resize to 1280 x 850 and 72 dpi for posting here. This makes photos around 500-1000KB 

I guess I'll try looking for a better way or app to resize my pics...

But I still dont understand why it doesn't let us upload pics that are much less than 8.11mb, giving us that uploading error message. 

4 hours ago, Danilopez89 said:

I guess I'll try looking for a better way or app to resize my pics...

But I still dont understand why it doesn't let us upload pics that are much less than 8.11mb, giving us that uploading error message. 

Without seeing your pics, I wouldn't know. There are some oddball pixel sized photos from some cameras that conflict with uploads. If you want to send me one of your photos, you are welcome to. PM me and I will respond with my email address. Then you can send me one of the problem photos.

Haven't you uploaded photos before? What are the dimensions? Are these from a different camera? How are you trying to upload them - via mobile, or at home? All of these factors play a role.

• 1 year later...

I'm also having the 8mb limit problem and cannot upload any pictures from my laptop. Please advise and be specific as to a remedy. I've always been able to post several pics at a time until now.

I'm also having the 8mb limit problem and cannot upload any pictures from my laptop. Please advise and be specific as to a remedy. I've always been able to post several pics at a time until now.

You haven't supplied much information. I need more to go on. Are you trying to upload more than 8mb? Or are you unable to upload even a small pic? What have you tried? Have you cleared your cache? Rebooted computer? Tried a different browser? Tried a different computer? Tried a different topic or forum? Tried resizing a pic? 

Any and all info is helpful since there are so many combinations of situations. But nobody else seems to be having the problem at this point, so the problem is most likely on your end, or else many others would be asking as well - and the specific issue discussed in this topic was corrected almost 2 yrs. ago. Use another computer, and if it works on that one, it has to be a problem with the laptop. If it doesn't work, then that would indicate something else.

Edit: Note - I just did a diagnostic login as you and was able to upload a 2.5mb pic without any problems. So look for issues on your end. Start first with clearing your cache, rebooting, and/or trying another browser.