IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What palm is this?

Missi

I was at Freedom Park in Naples, FL today. Supposedly they removed all invasive plants & replaced them with all natives. This isn't a young Roystonea, is it? It is kind of glaucus & reminds me of Dypsis decaryi though. I hope this one shot is enough for someone to be able to tell.

020.JPG

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Looks like it could be a Dypsis deceipiens to me…but it could be any number of large slow growing Dypsis types bit hard to tell from just that pic.

Edited by pigafetta

Looks like a Pseudophoenix ekmanii, nice size one too.

• Upvote 1

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

This isn't no Roystonea or Decipiens or Pseudo. It does look like a D. decaryi though. Another picture from a different angle would really help. I was just in Naples earlier this afternoon at the zoo. Their starting to add some nice, fairly rare species in the landscape. I saw Licuala peltata var. Sumawongii, Areca macrocalyx Red Crown, Aiphanes spp. Pinanga coronata, a nice Calyptrcalyx sp. Boalak and others.

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

looks like a triangle to me

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I was at Freedom Park in Naples, FL today. Supposedly they removed all invasive plants & replaced them with all natives. This isn't a young Roystonea, is it? It is kind of glaucus & reminds me of Dypsis decaryi though. I hope this one shot is enough for someone to be able to tell.

020.JPG

I don't think the photo can make for a conclusive ID.  I understand why several people are thinking D. decaryi, but if they supposedly replaced all invasive plants with natives, then P. sargentii just makes sense.  The palm looks a bit stretched to me from not being in all day sun.  Even the silver buttonwood around it is not very full which tells me that this area only gets partial sun exposure.  Any way you can go back to this park and take another pic of the entire palm?

• Upvote 1

020.JPG

I don't think the photo can make for a conclusive ID.  I understand why several people are thinking D. decaryi, but if they supposedly replaced all invasive plants with natives, then P. sargentii just makes sense.  The palm looks a bit stretched to me from not being in all day sun.  Even the silver buttonwood around it is not very full which tells me that this area only gets partial sun exposure.  Any way you can go back to this park and take another pic of the entire palm?

Oh yes, this is close to where I work. I'll get more pictures tomorrow. The thing I love more than a good mystery is a good mystery solved!!

I found myself poking around for an i.d. tag then remembered, I wasn't at a botanical garden :blush:

This isn't no Roystonea or Decipiens or Pseudo. It does look like a D. decaryi though. Another picture from a different angle would really help. I was just in Naples earlier this afternoon at the zoo. Their starting to add some nice, fairly rare species in the landscape. I saw Licuala peltata var. Sumawongii, Areca macrocalyx Red Crown, Aiphanes spp. Pinanga coronata, a nice Calyptrcalyx sp. Boalak and others.

Too cool! Do their palms come from you or were just just visiting the lil ole' Naples Zoo? I used to have a membership & go once a week during my lunch break (not far from my place of work or the park where this mystery palm is located) but then it got a bit boring seeing the same thing all the time but it sounds like there have been quite a few changes in the couple years I have not been. I need to go again soon to see the palms, not the animals (most of who seem to pace in their enclosures :crying:)

On my way to the park to get more pics shortly....B)

Unfortunately I discovered this palm is surrounded by thick & annoying macho ferns. It is also surrounded by a fairly tall stone wall that I tried to jump to push away the fern for better pics but I just ended up tearing up my shin (which I should have assumed would happen anyhow because you can't very well jump a tallish wall ladylike while wearing a pencil skirt.)

One side of the plant is in blasting sun, the other side is shaded (the side my original photo shows).

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image8.jpeg

image9.jpeg

image10.jpeg

image11.jpeg

Edited by Missi
typo
  • Upvote 1

Here's one more completely unhelpful photo. Good luck, guys!

image2.jpeg

With these details, it seems it's not Dypsis decaryi, but Pseudophoenix?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Good pictures, like I said in the beginning, Psuedophoenix.

Edited by Palmaceae

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

I was thinking Pseudophoenix sargentii, but hard to be completely sure from the angle of the pic.

Nice call Tim. Well, if anyone has the eye, it would be somebody like you from Key West.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

It will be ages until my Pseudo. sargentii is this size :asleep: