IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Plams around Sydney

Mohsen

I think what has happened here mate, is that a few leaves have just been removed and that new tan colour will quickly go grey. ;)

As Neil said.

• Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Here are a couple of pretty ones in Cronulla. A cute pineapple cut destined for an early grave, and a Royal.

20160929_112127.thumb.jpg.53221f4d1e26bc   20161006_140938.thumb.jpg.621bc0c9b16d9b

• Upvote 3

Cheers Steve

• 6 months later...

Visiting a client today and noticed these happy Phoenix roebelenii in group...with too many seeds...

IMG_0457.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG

IMG_0459.JPG

• Upvote 5

20 hours ago, Mohsen said:

with too many seeds...

Awww the poor girl,

well I hope that you helped the poor plant out with this problem....

I did once and ended up with scores of pots for years, that took me ages to be able to give away.

It helped me get over the  'I must save all seeds' type of thinking, that I used to have.  

• Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

15 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Awww the poor girl,

well I hope that you helped the poor plant out with this problem....

I did once and ended up with scores of pots for years, that took me ages to be able to give away.

It helped me get over the  'I must save all seeds' type of thinking, that I used to have.  

Steve

i already have 5 seedings in pots ( mostly triples) so I don't take any more seeds 

• 4 weeks later...

Just see this beautiful Howea forsteriana near our home near to a park , I m not sure if someone planted it there or just grow from seed? As it's too way close to wall I'm worry about its fate in future ?

IMG_0567.JPG

IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Just see this beautiful Howea forsteriana near our home near to a park , I m not sure if someone planted it there or just grow from seed? As it's too way close to wall I'm worry about its fate in future ?

IMG_0567.JPG

IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

Offer the owner to relocate it. Put it in your garden.

• Upvote 3

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Yes Mohsen, Pip has already demonstrated pictorially how easy it is.

He is not kidding, he would not suggest something that he would not do himself. :D

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

13 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Offer the owner to relocate it. Put it in your garden.

I think there is no owner! As it's outside a park, maybe council ... how easy are they to be transplanted?

11 hours ago, Mohsen said:

I think there is no owner! As it's outside a park, maybe council ... how easy are they to be transplanted?

Fairly easy with the right sort of lifting equipment etc. Dug manually you can avoid damaging any services like sewer pipes it might be near. It's not good next to the wall like that. A bit close. The council likely would be happy to see it go. If the council removed it, they would do it by chainsaw though.

• Upvote 3

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 1 month later...

I was down in Sydney a week or so ago ( my mum's 80th birthday ) and took a couple of photos of palms growing in the City and suburbs.....

These Livistonias ( ? ) are thriving in what I suspect is a pretty hostile enviroment.....Its either Pitt or George St in the City CBD

nQYc1gRh.jpg

It was a cold wet day ( for Sydney ) only 15c.

RHR1lA8h.jpg

rWxSeUEh.jpg

A couple more pics in the suburb of Penshurst on the south side of Sydney.

qlRh24Lh.jpg

uZq9vwXh.jpg

I catch the train in from Campbelltown to the Airport and like to spot palms in the suburban back yards adjacent to the railway line. Commonly grown specimans are Bangalows, Queens and Livistonias and a fair smattering of Norfolk Is. and Lord Howe Is. examples.

The train trips are best in November when the Jacarandas are in full bloom. The Sydney Basin takes on a purple haze from millions of trees flowering.

• Upvote 6

"These Livistonias ( ? ) are thriving in what I suspect is a pretty hostile environment.."

Yes, amazing isnt it? 

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

Most Livistonas are tough palms, especially australis. They can cop abuse even as small seedlings and laugh off conditions that would damage or destroy other palms.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tyrone said:

Most Livistonas are tough palms, especially australis. They can cop abuse even as small seedlings and laugh off conditions that would damage or destroy other palms.

It seems they are very good with Transplanting too, I have seen large / established L.Australis been transplanted to the new sites and they didn't even notice it at all..

• 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Just saw this very old Howea belmoreana near a Motel in Sydney 

I think it needs watering ...

IMG_1130.JPG

IMG_1132.JPG

Yes,been a very dry few months,in fact,the driest winter in 15 years,and Sept has only had .2mm 

Hopefully next few weeks things will change.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

And here is one flowering in my front yard Mohsen.

That Thrinax radiata in the front does not seem to tolerate neglect as well as the rest of the garden, it probably needs a more moist position

PA130001.thumb.JPG.af2f51f78eb22656903ca

PA130002.thumb.JPG.4f7615801e6a75b163c0c

• Upvote 5

Cheers Steve

43 minutes ago, gtsteve said:

That Thrinax radiata in the front does not seem to tolerate neglect as well as the rest of the garden, it probably needs a more moist position

Hi Steve,

Hopefully we'll get some rain tonight...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Are you watering during this dry period ?

BTW, how is your Bizzy doing ? Is the game still on ? ;) 

No I have not watered out there for months, I keep thinking that it would rain soon, and I am bone lazy.

I'll water now and with surfactant it will need it for sure.

• Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

On 10/13/2017, 12:10:18, palmad Merc said:

"Hopefully we'll get some rain tonight..."

Yes it has finally, and I got the surfactant down just in time. 

• Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

• 3 years later...

Just a Sydney Royal Palm appreciation post. Its unfortunate not more are grown here, and it seems the few that are here are being lost!

I noticed a large, healthy one growing all the way out in Penrith, some 60km inland and is probably one of the coldest and hottest parts of the city.

image.png.18a69145ff598a6e1169db21002ba4ae.png

A large, healthy one growing in St Clair, ~50km inland. Unfortunately it was cut down a few years ago :rant:

image.png.57a4d2702a05d5a665525004d616e613.png

A rather rough looking one at Blacktown, ~30km inland. 

image.png.f1083076d847795c6c28c9932b3ec2ea.png

One at Earlwood which was recently cut down too :angry:

image.png.10c8490f288176b8843f2a25cc271ad4.png

On a positive note, I recently spotted some younger ones planted at an apartment complex in Parramatta

image.png.08d122b7773c0ece3851235527489dc2.png

image.png.d6e0016c3bb61813c6cce4175c7400a7.png

These two king palms have always looked different; the taller one has steeply ascending fronds almost like a nikau palm; the shorter one has droopy fronds.  Also the shorter one may have finer leaflets than the taller one. I'm not sure if they are different species or different forms of the same species.

P1010262.JPG

• Like 1

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Good thinking, Steve.  I'll check the flowers at the appropriate time.

• Like 1

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

• 2 months later...

I saw these two foxtails at Mt Annan near Campbelltown. Probably the winters are a bit rough out there.

IMG20210519155140.jpg

• Like 2

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

What a great thread! Sydney must have a beneficent climate, like So. Cal., that still allows tropical plants and palms to flourish. What is the humidity level?

What you look for is what is looking

Sydney has an average humidity level of 65%, it does differ from coastal Sydney to outer west. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bubba said:

What a great thread! Sydney must have a beneficent climate, like So. Cal., that still allows tropical plants and palms to flourish. What is the humidity level?

Similar distance from the equator as LA but with about 4 times the annual rainfall in a normal year. As others have basically said, coastal regions and those on the harbour are milder with higher humidity, whereas inland the climate is more extreme with lower humidity in the heat of summer. A lot can be grown there. Sydney BG is epic. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Similar distance from the equator as LA but with about 4 times the annual rainfall in a normal year. As others have basically said, coastal regions and those on the harbour are milder with higher humidity, whereas inland the climate is more extreme with lower humidity in the heat of summer. A lot can be grown there. Sydney BG is epic. 

Not too many places in the world where you’ll see johannesteijsmannia, Hedyscepe and Geonoma undata in the same place. Definitely one of the best palm growing climates for collectors of temperate and subtropical palm species. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

2 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

Not too many places in the world where you’ll see johannesteijsmannia, Hedyscepe and Geonoma undata in the same place. Definitely one of the best palm growing climates for collectors of temperate and subtropical palm species. 

Yes, the New Caledonian species growing at Sydney BG is just amazing. For our International visitors (when they ever come back) if you are on the east coast and anywhere near Sydney make sure you visit the botanic garden there. It's special.

I remember about 15 years ago I had a 3hr business meeting in Sydney for work and flew in on the graveyard shift overnight from Perth into Sydney early morning. Got into a taxi and straight to the Sydney Botanic Garden's and had breakfast at the cafe there and walked around for a few hours. Then walked down the road and did the meeting I was there to attend. After that went back to the Botanic Garden, strolled around some more, had a late lunch at the cafe then got back into a taxi, back to the airport and flew home again that night. I was stuffed, and had flown 7000kms in about 24hrs but the visit to the Sydney Botanic Garden's was worth the effort.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Yes, the New Caledonian species growing at Sydney BG is just amazing. For our International visitors (when they ever come back) if you are on the east coast and anywhere near Sydney make sure you visit the botanic garden there. It's special.

I remember about 15 years ago I had a 3hr business meeting in Sydney for work and flew in on the graveyard shift overnight from Perth into Sydney early morning. Got into a taxi and straight to the Sydney Botanic Garden's and had breakfast at the cafe there and walked around for a few hours. Then walked down the road and did the meeting I was there to attend. After that went back to the Botanic Garden, strolled around some more, had a late lunch at the cafe then got back into a taxi, back to the airport and flew home again that night. I was stuffed, and had flown 7000kms in about 24hrs but the visit to the Sydney Botanic Garden's was worth the effort.

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago. I was way out at Eastern Creek all day on business and battled the traffic afterwards to get into the gardens about an hour before dark. Feels wrong to go to Sydney without going to the gardens for at least a little bit. 

• Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

On 5/19/2021 at 8:39 PM, philinsydney said:

I saw these two foxtails at Mt Annan near Campbelltown. Probably the winters are a bit rough out there.

IMG20210519155140.jpg

Those do look a bit rough.

Foxtails seem to be quite popular in Glenwood. Noticed many young trees, including some planted on the street

image.png.742ae47ac4681cc494f48ed9f2f7c8fc.png

image.png.f57c8904a97720f1d6b208b22ffb0a1f.png

image.png.3c945ab8bf0afa8ebda7b9a7173fc110.png

image.png

• Like 1

Anyone who marvels at the palm collection of Royal Botanic Garden, Sydney owes a big debt of gratitude to Colin Wilson.   :greenthumb: 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California